When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

39 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I've discovered that Coronavirus can affect domestic appliances.  Last week our microwave died and today the washing machine has given up the ghost.  Both were elderly, as domestic appliances go and possibly with some underlying health conditions.

My car broke down last week, and the kitchen tap has started leaking.

Fuckin chinese.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:58 PM, Bisque said:

Sorry to hear this.

I posted on here a lot when I moved back home from Leeds after splitting with my ex. People were really nice & supportive at a time where I decided that drinking to forget was the best idea. I even started a thread I due to the darkness. I know it’s difficult but look after yourself & try not to w**k over old naughty pictures of her too much.

Haha thanks all! Absolute shit time to do it. I was already an emotional wreck following the Glastonbury cancellation.

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I know, it's staggering. It seems for a big portion of the public they can do no wrong when the evidence is overwhlemingly to the contrary.  

I figured lead would be the least a government could do, I am staggered by the extent of failure to do it.

Edited by WhoamI?

39 minutes ago, WhoamI? said:

I figured lead would be the least a government could do, I am staggered by the extent of failure to do it.

It's because ultimately they want to stay in power with all the benefits that can bring by doing as little actual leadership as possible. I truly believe if they chose staying in power as long as possible over helping the populace.

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I truly believe if they chose staying in power as long as possible over helping the populace.

I am sure the Tories believe themselves staying in power is the same thing as helping the populace.  

1 minute ago, WhoamI? said:

I am sure the Tories believe themselves staying in power is the same thing as helping the populace.  

I don't even think that. I believe they want to stay in power for their own gains and to help out their rich mates. I'm sure there are some decent Tory MPs out there but they generally get trodden down and booted out.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

This seems... reasonable

Their response to this overwhelming generosity from the Chinese is to get IDS to go on Sunday morning news and blame them for most of their own failings. I'm sure they are motivated to continue to send supplies. 

12 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think I’d struggle not to get distracted with other things myself but FairPlay to those that can focus ... my output would probably be other things .. 

I think there's still novelty to it at first, and managers cutting people some slack because it's not just working from home, people have kids home they need to look after too and so on.

I've worked from home three days a week for a while. I find my productivity is better, but in a weird way it's harder. You have to be judged on what you do - you still get bollocked if you don't get your stuff done on time. But equally no-one knows what hours you're actually working - I mean you still need to be there to pick up the phone your contractual hours but beyond that... the people that really suffer are those that always come in a bit early, leave a bit late so they look good, but then always doss about in the office, take a tonne of breaks, and don't deliver. 

That's the big sea-change with it, and something some managers struggle to get their heads around. They actually have to look at what their people do and see who is actually doing a good job, rather than just who shows up the office when.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jparx said:

I hope a lot of business realise that people are capable of working from home, and driving to an office isn’t particularly crucial for operating business as usual. Perhaps alternating days in the office and days at home is a good start. It would drastically reduce my personal emissions.

As a truck driver I’d welcome the reduction of traffic levels on the roads. As a human being I’d welcome the reduction in emissions that came with the lower traffic levels.

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

This seems... reasonable

Since when has reasonable had anything to do with anything. But yes seems perfectly reasonable to me. 

PPE procurement during a global shortage is not easy, I know of one large UK company that had its large order of face masks confiscated by a nation that it was transiting through. This order was bound for the NHS. 

Someone posted a video on facebook of Karl Pilkington in China at a ‘wet market’.

Is it wrong of me to think that what they eat there is completely fine, it’s just the way the food is distributed or sold? Tbh after living in Tooting briefly I don’t see much different from that market to the bloke picking up his meat, dropping it on the floor & dragging it into the Halal butchers round the bins, past the rats & drunks pissing up the alley I watched daily?

6 hours ago, Bisque said:

Someone posted a video on facebook of Karl Pilkington in China at a ‘wet market’.

Is it wrong of me to think that what they eat there is completely fine, it’s just the way the food is distributed or sold? Tbh after living in Tooting briefly I don’t see much different from that market to the bloke picking up his meat, dropping it on the floor & dragging it into the Halal butchers round the bins, past the rats & drunks pissing up the alley I watched daily?

It’s very different, really. For a start Bats are the reservoirs for most of these diseases and viruses, we don’t generally get them directly from bats but via an intermediary animal. For Covid it’s believed to be a pangolin and for Sars it was civets, a sort of a wild cat. Now I’m guessing you didn’t see either of those animals in tooting? It stands to reason if you generally eat a wider range of animals, and wild animals at that, who are generally far more likely to come into contact with bats then you increase your chances accordingly. These animals wouldn’t mix together in the wild, come from different continents, but are kept together in cramped conditions alive and dead. Living animals are also slaughtered in close proximity to all the other animals, causing their immune systems to become highly stressed, with blood and saliva being splattered everywhere in contact with all the other animals.

What you’re describing in Tooting is just poor food hygiene, it’s increasing the risk of getting an upset tummy, it’s not increasing the risk of a new virus jumping from one species to another

Pubs are an interesting one. I remember in one of the daily briefings a while back they described large gatherings as having a low risk of infecting a higher amount of people and pubs as having a high risk of infecting a lower amount of people. They also described the fact that large gatherings are actually low risk, but actually the biggest risk was everyone gathering in the pubs beforehand. So it wouldn’t be inconceivable for events like football matches to be allowed to go ahead, but with pubs still shut.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Pubs are an interesting one. I remember in one of the daily briefings a while back they described large gatherings as having a low risk of infecting a higher amount of people and pubs as having a high risk of infecting a lower amount of people. They also described the fact that large gatherings are actually low risk, but actually the biggest risk was everyone gathering in the pubs beforehand. So it wouldn’t be inconceivable for events like football matches to be allowed to go ahead, but with pubs still shut.

Wasn't that where the talk of having the Premier League matches on free TV to stop people congregating at pubs?

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Already have

IMG-20200419-WA0003.jpg

There's plenty of intelligent reasons to think the lockdown might be the wrong thing to do, but "unlawful" is the one thing it very definitely isn't. :lol: 

It's almost like these people are too stupid to come up with a reason why they want it to end. :P 

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really think as a race we peaked a long time ago. Pure Darwinism when we’ve got people lining up to walk into the fire pit excited about it.

It’s hardly surprising that some people view the risk as not being anywhere near as bad as the alternative to them personally. I mean it’s hardly a fire pit is it? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

There's plenty of intelligent reasons to think the lockdown might be the wrong thing to do, but "unlawful" is the one thing it very definitely isn't. :lol: 

It's almost like these people are too stupid to come up with a reason why they want it to end. :P 

Have you watched Fox News? This is a problem with American press, Fox News is the most popular news channel in America and every day it airs segments like this.

I think British people would be shocked at the quality of news from Fox. This is why I don’t sympathise with many arguments that the BBC is bias. I don’t think people in the U.K. really know what bias news looks like. Where news caters the views of their sponsors, and news anchors get on the show by having their own list of sponsors (sponsoring them).

How can you blame people like this existing when cable news looks like this. I think most British people would be shocked at the sight of this.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Have you watched Fox News? This is a problem with American press,

not with a UK protest, it's not.

When that UK protest is called because it's "unlawful" (as said in what was posted above), the problem is brain-dead morons in the UK.