When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, was just coming to post this. Was kind of expecting it (it makes sense, no?) but it's still grim reading all the same. I suspect we'll be able to go see friends/families but gigs still seem a far away dream...

I guess it depends on your friends and family though. I work in London and my parents are in their seventies. Even when those restrictions are lifted will it be sensible/responsible for me to see them? Probably not. 

• Upvote 1

Short (personal) update from Sweden; so last week, around Monday and into Tuesday both Mrs Antilles and I started feeling under the weather. I would describe the symptoms as being 'very mild' and neither of us had a fever at either point but from Tuesday - Friday I was wiped out energy wise. Also had a constant sore head and general achieness. I'm on reduced hours at the moment so I was getting up around 8am, working to lunchtime, having some lunch then going back to bed. We both also had pronounced burning sensation or 'heaviness' on our chests, shortness of breath and an intermittent cough which varied day to day. As I say, mild.

We both started feeling a little better on Saturday/Sunday, took a bit of a dip again on Monday/Tuesday but since yesterday morning I've felt completely normal again. So all in all the symptoms lasted around 7-9 days.

Obviously it's impossible for us to say if it was COVID given we're not going to be be tested but it was a very descriptive combination of symptoms that neither of us have had before. Taking into account Sweden's approach to the virus to date I'm leaning towards that we've been 'herded' (just don't call it that). Given we both seem to have come through it unscathed I'm kinda hoping it was.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Is Sweden still not going down the lockdown route?

Nah, and doesn't seem to be any indication they're planning to do so. Think they're hoping we're reaching the peak in Stockholm, if that's the case then they won't lockdown the rest of the country. 

EDIT - to say I was on a conference call with my work yesterday and the indication was they're hoping to start a gradual re-opening of the office in May/June, aiming for a couple of days in the office the rest working from home. We're one of the bigger companies in Sweden so I imagine that's been influenced by discussions with the government. Another reason I think any kinda formal lockdown seems unlikely, certainly in the short term.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess it depends on your friends and family though. I work in London and my parents are in their seventies. Even when those restrictions are lifted will it be sensible/responsible for me to see them? Probably not. 

Yeh, my Mum has already said she won't come out of her own personal lock down until she decides it's safe. Knowing my Mother, that will be in around 2025. 

(She's 62 and in perfectly good health, just with slightly high blood pressure. She has however put herself in the high risk category)

36 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Niall ferguson says elements of social distancing will probably have to continue until a vaccine is developed 😥

Hmmm. I'm naturally a very introverted person and social distancing isn't bothering me at all, but I don't believe the vast majority of the country will accept social distancing until potentially the end of next year. They will need another plan, because that would be near enough impossible to enforce, even if they had army patrolling the streets.

Again, if that's what it takes then I'm happy to go along with that, but the reality is the majority of British people won't.

Just now, jparx said:

Hmmm. I'm naturally a very introverted person and social distancing isn't bothering me at all, but I don't believe the vast majority of the country will accept social distancing until potentially the end of next year. They will need another plan, because that would be near enough impossible to enforce, even if they had army patrolling the streets.

Again, if that's what it takes then I'm happy to go along with that, but the reality is the majority of British people won't.

I guess policing of it would  be indirect and driven by case numbers and the strain on the NHS, if that gets too great we go into another lockdown like this one 

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Nah, and doesn't seem to be any indication they're planning to do so. Think they're hoping we're reaching the peak in Stockholm, if that's the case then they won't lockdown the rest of the country. 

Is there still general acceptable to the Swedish strategy? On the one hand your figures are much worst than your near neighbours, but of course much better than much of Europe. 

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

He only says 'some elements'. It's very vague. Could just mean keeping distances in public and wearing masks.

Edited by dentalplan

49 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Niall ferguson says elements of social distancing will probably have to continue until a vaccine is developed 😥

That's my big worry. So likely measures will start to be lifted in 3 weeks, but there's absolutely no guarantee of a date for a vaccine. Glastonbury will be one of the first to go in 2021 without a vaccine within the next 9 months or so. Dreadful but it is the risk.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

That's my big worry. So likely measures will start to be lifted in 3 weeks, but there's absolutely no guarantee of a date for a vaccine. Glastonbury will be one of the first to go in 2021 without a vaccine within the next 9 months or so. Dreadful but it is the risk.

Think how many people will have had it in a years time, the vaccine is just the ultimate end but one way or the other by this time next year it won’t be the same issue. Social distancing measures will look very different with say 50% of the population infected vs now.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Think how many people will have had it in a years time, the vaccine is just the ultimate end but one way or the other by this time next year it won’t be the same issue. Social distancing measures will look very different with say 50% of the population infected vs now.

Plus also I don’t see stringent lockdown measures lasting that long as the economy won’t be able to cope (especially if you throw a no deal brexit into the mix). This in turn would have severe implications on not only the state but also people’s livelihoods, healthcare funding via lost tax revenue from the increasingly unemployed etc.

It’s also not just the ‘seen’ Covid deaths we need to bear in mind but also the ‘unseen’, which will come as a result of people having for example their chemotherapy treatments delayed etc which is what is happening currently for a lot of people (I know personally of 2 people who have had their cancer treatment impacted by covid) People will still be getting cancer, having strokes and heart attacks, coronavirus doesn’t put a stop to all normal healthcare issues which in time will need to be addressed and a year is far too long to put these on the back burner. 

I’m hopeful that like France who are currently predicting gigs etc will start by the end of August (and assuming they are one of the last pieces of ‘normal life’ to be reinstated), that we will hopefully see near normality by beginning of September. I can’t see the UK population accepting seeing other European countries function with near normality while we are still under elements of lockdown. Once the general trend across Europe moves to near normality, the amount of public pressure on the UK government to follow suit will be massive, plus we would have been in forms of lockdown for over 5 months by then so imagine a lot of people will be nearing the end of their tethers with lockdown measures!

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I thought we locked down on a Monday ? Can someone explain why the 3 week review is happening on a Thursday ? Was it not a law ? 

Had the same though so checked the text of the act - it says reviews every three weeks but for some reason also says the first review needs to happen before 16th April. So it's legal.

Another point I’ve been locked down in my flat with daily excercise and my over 70s parents the same ... surely it has now become safe to see them ? Especially if I socially Distance it’s the same as passing someone unknown on my walk ? In fact much less risk ? 

19 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Plus also I don’t see stringent lockdown measures lasting that long as the economy won’t be able to cope (especially if you throw a no deal brexit into the mix). This in turn would have severe implications on not only the state but also people’s livelihoods, healthcare funding via lost tax revenue from the increasingly unemployed etc.

It’s also not just the ‘seen’ Covid deaths we need to bear in mind but also the ‘unseen’, which will come as a result of people having for example their chemotherapy treatments delayed etc which is what is happening currently for a lot of people (I know personally of 2 people who have had their cancer treatment impacted by covid) People will still be getting cancer, having strokes and heart attacks, coronavirus doesn’t put a stop to all normal healthcare issues which in time will need to be addressed and a year is far too long to put these on the back burner. 

I’m hopeful that like France who are currently predicting gigs etc will start by the end of August (and assuming they are one of the last pieces of ‘normal life’ to be reinstated), that we will hopefully see near normality by beginning of September. I can’t see the UK population accepting seeing other European countries function with near normality while we are still under elements of lockdown. Once the general trend across Europe moves to near normality, the amount of public pressure on the UK government to follow suit will be massive, plus we would have been in forms of lockdown for over 5 months by then so imagine a lot of people will be nearing the end of their tethers with lockdown measures!

People might be at the end of their tethers but that doesn't make the problem go away. Only using logic surely everyone can see that if we allow normal life to the point of gigs taking place in August that the death rate we're seeing now will be nothing compared to allowing this virus to spread like that? 

Might as well have just done it in the first place, the lockdown will have been pointless 

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Had the same though so checked the text of the act - it says reviews every three weeks but for some reason also says the first review needs to happen before 16th April. So it's legal.

I think they announced the lockdown before they had the full legal powers granted by the act. Which was a couple of days later. 

10 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I don't even care about pubs / gigs at this point. I just wanna be able to see my boyfriend, my family, my friends. The rest of it I can do without

The thought of another 3 weeks is heartbreaking (but I do get why we have to)

Its around the bank holidays. So i suspect the monday after will be first loosening (allowed to see other people in houses/non essential business open) and 3 weeks after will be more loosening.  

They can only throw so much money at it. They've budgeted for 3 months (end of june) so far for furloughing.

Edited by zahidf