When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Most of the experts seem to think it will be at least 12-18 months before we have a vaccine...although a group at Oxford Uni think they could have a vaccine ready in 6 months. If they do manage that it would be amazing,...

I guess whoever gets there first will reap the benefits.

There’s a lot more riding on a COVID vaccine that just dealing with this disease though. Rush it, mess it up and anti-vaxxers will be screaming, see, we told you they don’t know everything. Herd immunity to all manner of diseases gone in an instant as people drop other vaccinations. Now is not the time to abandon rigorous trials. If I had to take a guess, I’d say the first Coronavirus vaccine will be BCG. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

There’s a lot more riding on a COVID vaccine that just dealing with this disease though. Rush it, mess it up and anti-vaxxers will be screaming, see, we told you they don’t know everything. Herd immunity to all manner of diseases gone in an instant as people drop other vaccinations. Now is not the time to abandon rigorous trials. If I had to take a guess, I’d say the first Coronavirus vaccine will be BCG. 

My very limited understanding though TD, is that a vaccine for something that takes say 10-20 years to develop is not really so much about the technicalities of the vaccine itself, but many many other factors like money etc?

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I had the BCG as a teenager (got the scar to prove it!), would this jab still offer protection now?

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My very limited understanding though TD, is that a vaccine for something that takes say 10-20 years to develop is not really so much about the technicalities of the vaccine itself, but many many other factors like money etc?

For widespread diseases where there will be massive uptake, funding usually isn’t the issue. Trials just take a while to do correctly. To speed things up, they are considering “challenge” trials in the US (give the vaccine or placebo to healthy people, then give them Coronavirus)...not normal practice at all and ethically dubious. Just shows how desperate we are for a vaccine. 

24 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

This BCG vaccine's effectiveness for this coronavirus is still unproven, right?

I think I had it at school, but not sure...and nor is my Mum! What age did people in UK get one in the 70s/80s? My kid had one when she was a baby in 2005, probably just before discontinuued.

16 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

For widespread diseases where there will be massive uptake, funding usually isn’t the issue. Trials just take a while to do correctly. To speed things up, they are considering “challenge” trials in the US (give the vaccine or placebo to healthy people, then give them Coronavirus)...not normal practice at all and ethically dubious. Just shows how desperate we are for a vaccine. 

I would imagine the volunteers would want a decent amount of money, for risk of getting the placebo of anything? I read one of the issues with Ebola was getting volunteers for clinical trials for Ebola is that most didn’t want to risk getting the placebo!

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think I had it at school, but not sure...and nor is my Mum! What age did people in UK get one in the 70s/80s? My kid had one when she was a baby in 2005, probably just before discontinuued.

In your early teens I think.

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes, still unproven, but decent epidemiological evidence and sound biological reasoning behind it. Currently being trialled in healthcare workers who will be exposed to the virus in the course of their work. If fewer that get the vaccine end up developing COVID19, expect production of BCG to ramp up significantly (there’s been a shortage of it for about 5 years). TB is still in the top 10 causes of death globally, about 1.5 million people still die of it every year. That in and of itself is scandalous!

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently the coronavirus peak is not expected in the north west for another three weeks.

(I'm in Manchester)

How does that work? The whole of the UK was locked down at the same point. The NW peak coming in three weeks would suggest suggest people were still freely spreading it around until recently, when the whole nation has been locked down for approaching a month. Would the peak not be at the same time across the UK (roughly) just higher in different regions?

Might be missing something obvious?

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

How does that work? The whole of the UK was locked down at the same point. The NW peak coming in three weeks would suggest suggest people were still freely spreading it around until recently, when the whole nation has been locked down for approaching a month. Would the peak not be at the same time across the UK (roughly) just higher in different regions?

Might be missing something obvious?

Don't know...just saw it in MEN.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/coronavirus-peak-not-expected-north-18092997

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That would be about right. If I recollect you had a test the week before and then the jag . Some folk got it in the thigh. Usually left a scar

I also remember every one going round punching each other in the arm where the jab was

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Neil said:

gotta call this out.

There's few things in the world as well researched as electromagnetic waves.

The research that's been done by people wearing tin-foil hats suggests there may be health risks - because for everyone else there is zero evidence of any risk.

The tin-foil hatters take "no evidence" and turn it on its head to be "can't prove no risk". ;) 

I'll refer again to this page,

https://www.saferemr.com/2017/09/5g-wireless-technology-is-5g-harmful-to.html

it contains plenty of references to articles written by qualified experts who have documented adverse effects on people. Even if there are few short term risks we are now being bombarded by a variety of frequencies at different levels 24/7 from cradle to grave, it may take years to prove any direct link to any particular problem, just as it did with cigarette smoking, but that doesn't mean there are no effects.