When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

If the government made mask mandatory then those masks would have to come from somewhere, and chances are they would come from the manufacturer’s who supply the NHS. It’s pretty safe to say not wanting to affect the supply to the NHS is the main reason behind the decision not to make masks mandatory.

Germany are ramping up mask production. I would hope we would look to do the same!

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Germany are ramping up mask production. I would hope we would look to do the same!

We will be waiting for burbury to ramp up production ... or deciding that we need some kind of task force set up to investigate which British supplier can make them 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Yes I’m sure we would, but 60 million people all trying to buy masks would make T day look like a day in the park. You also need to consider where do those masks normally come from, China most  likely, global demand is also very high, so supply would be low. There’s no way we could have supplied enough masks at the start of this.

2 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

I refer the gentleman/lady to my previous comment

You, stupidly said that Labour would have made a greater mess, I opined that they would have done better by the virtue of simply not having a complete twat in charge. But it is bollox to suggest either putative extrapolation. And speculation such as your excuses the errors made by the Johnson Government. They are already hunting round for who to blame and we are not even out of it yet. They must be held to account.

PSML - it would have Corbyn in charge  - you know,  the man who wanted to ballot the membership before going to war, the man who sat on the floor of a train carriage pretenting it was full. Would Corbyn have removed people's civil liberties (debatable). Would he have injected the amount of cash trying to ensure we all have employment when all this ends (definitely not in my opinion). 

The Government has made mistakes (the lack of protective equipment available is indefensible) but to suggest Labour would have made a better job of it is laughable.

Just now, Ommadawn said:

PSML - it would have Corbyn in charge  - you know,  the man who wanted to ballot the membership before going to war, the man who sat on the floor of a train carriage pretenting it was full. Would Corbyn have removed people's civil liberties (debatable). Would he have injected the amount of cash trying to ensure we all have employment when all this ends (definitely not in my opinion). 

The Government has made mistakes (the lack of protective equipment available is indefensible) but to suggest Labour would have made a better job of it is laughable.

pointless because we just don't know and any opinion just reflects whether you're a labour/corbyn supporter or not.

Whether it was Tories or labour, they would both have been new administrations so both likely to panic and make mistakes, but the civil service running things would be the same...

Maybe labour would have moved quicker into lockdown. Johnson is more a libertarian than Corbyn.

2 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

FFS are you slow?

OF COURSE IT IS LAUGHABLE, THAT IS THE POINT.

I am saying that your opinion that Labour would have been worse is vacuous and simplistic by demonstrating that saying the opposite is just as stupid.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY it excuses the Tory Government from their mistakes by deflection.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Italy death toll passes 20000.

Spain's death toll falling....

They've started coming back to life? Blimey 😲 why aren't our dead doing that. Who's to blame for this?

• Upvote 1

Regarding masks here's a vid made by a mate of mine who also happens to be one of the cleverest people that I know. He also hapens to have a degree in Microbiology.

Chance are that you don't know him but you may be familiar with his work. He's responsible for the multi hammock flower in Bella's Field at Glastonbury and makes and puts up flags at numerous festivals.

His stuff is actually made by an extended family in Bali where he winters. He's now keeping them employed making saline masks. He doesn't profit at all from the masks but it keeps the family from starving.

The masks are beind distributed free to medics and market stall holders in Bali.

He's got instructions for making the masks and is raising funds to make as many as possible through an online fundraiser.

Worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsw0yqBWsAM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR06TbhelbMSDWqOYrWGRT_mkblgUBz4cNaKSylxjRQCtjYBbZZfXUaExuQ

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

52 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

FFS are you slow?

OF COURSE IT IS LAUGHABLE, THAT IS THE POINT.

I am saying that your opinion that Labour would have been worse is vacuous and simplistic by demonstrating that saying the opposite is just as stupid.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY it excuses the Tory Government from their mistakes by deflection.

Ok - no need for insults or shouting is there. Can we agree that when this is all over, there should be a fully independent review of how this was managed so that lessons can be learned for when it happens again (hopefully not in our lifetimes), although I guess that won't be enough for you. 

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s actually easy enough to buy masks online at the moment, even the ones the NHS needs (in small amounts, not at the volume they need them), but you are correct, people will panic buy the wrong things. Rolling out mandatory mask wearing needs a coordinated approach. Also needs a public information campaign to tell everyone how and when to use them correctly, and also needs a coordinated approach to disposal. Some cost involved, but you would expect that to be offset by the fact that the economy starts to function again. Allowing a free for all on masks would be a bad idea, just needs to be properly thought through then implemented.

Fuck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

That whole argument is ridiculous. Labour aren't in charge so whether they would or wouldn't have done better no one will know. What we do know is that the current government which are in charge have made colossal mistakes. For once they don't have anyone else to blame, this is something that can't be blamed on anyone else but the Tories.

Don't start saying 'another party if they were in power would've done worse. No one else is, so you don't know that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

If the government made mask mandatory then those masks would have to come from somewhere, and chances are they would come from the manufacturer’s who supply the NHS. It’s pretty safe to say not wanting to affect the supply to the NHS is the main reason behind the decision not to make masks mandatory.

There was an interview on PM (Radio 4) this afternoon with a health expert who said that research shows that for masks intended to stop the wearer from spreading infection, even home-made masks are extremely effective because they stop much of what is expelled by coughing and sneezing getting within range of anyone else. Also I think the fact that masks would be worn for the benefit of other people would make panic buying much less likely, at least while it was advisory rather than mandatory.  Once it's a legal requirement, unless that's properly managed, it would be the same panic buying story as with bogroll because it confers a tangible direct advantage to the wearer.

3 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

There was an interview on PM (Radio 4) this afternoon with a health expert who said that research shows that for masks intended to stop the wearer from spreading infection, even home-made masks are extremely effective because they stop much of what is expelled by coughing and sneezing getting within range of anyone else. Also I think the fact that masks would be worn for the benefit of other people would make panic buying much less likely, at least while it was advisory rather than mandatory.  Once it's a legal requirement, unless that's properly managed, it would be the same panic buying story as with bogroll because it confers a tangible direct advantage to the wearer.

I assume if it's made mandatory, it's up to the govt to make it easily available