When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

This is the kind of headline that infuriates me:

Coronavirus: Patient treated on same ward as PM 'thought he wouldn't survive'  as Sky News wrote it.  But the story was about a patient's own experience in the ICU. He didn't even see Boris. I'm sure the wording was intended to be ambiguous and misleading, which is not what's needed now.

7 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Sorry but that’s rubbish. Germany has a higher population density than Italy, so will they have a higher death toll? Belgium and the Netherlands have the highest population densities in Europe, so will they get hit hardest? The reason Italy had been hit harder in the first place is they have an older population (see average age of positive test in Germany vs Italy) It is also far more common in Italy for many generations to live under one roof which will greatly aid transmission and put an older population further at risk. This does not happen in the U.K., or Germany for that matter.

In relation to the initial spread yes I would expect England to have more cases due to the density & delay in putting the initial quarantine place. Plus there are certainly areas of the country where it is frequent that multiple generations live under the same form. 

Whilst Italy have an average older age compared to the England, they are also a much healthier country comparitive to England. With Spain being the healthiest European country. 

There are many factors that come into play but I was merely saying my opinion is that the greater population density will contribute to the spread & subsequent fatalities in the UK comparitive to Italy specifically. 

This is a pretty dull post but genuinely intrigued on people’s opinions. I go to Tesco to do a big shop and don’t stockpile but buy as much as I can to avoid going again for as long as possible. I’ve also got a shop opposite my house, so it’s a 10 metre walk. The thing is you can only fill a basket there, so you can’t actually buy that much. I’m trying to avoid going in there repeatedly, but as an example yesterday I went in and got some beers and a few odds and ends that I needed. Now today I could do with a few more beers, I suppose I’m asking what’s your view on popping into the local shop more than two/three times a week? 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is a pretty dull post but genuinely intrigued on people’s opinions. I go to Tesco to do a big shop and don’t stockpile but buy as much as I can to avoid going again for as long as possible. I’ve also got a shop opposite my house, so it’s a 10 metre walk. The thing is you can only fill a basket there, so you can’t actually buy that much. I’m trying to avoid going in there repeatedly, but as an example yesterday I went in and got some beers and a few odds and ends that I needed. Now today I could do with a few more beers, I suppose I’m asking what’s your view on popping into the local shop more than two/three times a week? 

It's  NO from me, simple. Order your beer on line and get it delivered if you need supplies.

Absolutely necessary comes to mind 

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

personally im doing my one big shop and thats it .... I tend to just cope with what ive got ... and only early on did someone drop a few extra things in to me ... now my once a week shops will do ... ive no intention of going to somewhere thats potentially difficult to negotiate ... but if you can do it when its quiet I guess thats reasonable ... ish ... but not essential ?

Edited by crazyfool1

They should be having a crackdown not allowing more people out. I went shopping today and it was like a normal Thursday afternoon. Joggers and cyclists bloody everywhere, all in groups, families going shopping en masse, there is zero need for couples to go shopping with all their kids.
nobody dies because they can’t go for a run or dress up in their spandex for a couple of months, ok a small group of people with particular needs need to go out, but twice a day?  Unfortunately some people will see this and just take it as a green light to do what ever they like. The ‘well if they can do it, I can do it’ people.

you can see people are slacking, there needs to be a crackdown

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

personally im doing my one big shop and thats it .... I tend to just cope with what ive got ... and only early on did someone drop a few extra things in to me ... now my once a week shops will do ... ive no intention of going to somewhere thats potentially difficult to negotiate ... but if you can do it when its quiet I guess thats reasonable ... 

But it's not, it really isn't....

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Can you go to a bigger shop?

14 minutes ago, oxygentleman said:

In relation to the initial spread yes I would expect England to have more cases due to the density & delay in putting the initial quarantine place. Plus there are certainly areas of the country where it is frequent that multiple generations live under the same form. 

Whilst Italy have an average older age compared to the England, they are also a much healthier country comparitive to England. With Spain being the healthiest European country. 

There are many factors that come into play but I was merely saying my opinion is that the greater population density will contribute to the spread & subsequent fatalities in the UK comparitive to Italy specifically. 

The delay isn’t necessarily relevant to how we will perform against Italy though. People look at it like there was a fixed start date for corona, but countries had it at different times and in different ways. There is of course a debate to be had about how quickly we should’ve acted, but Italy did not act quicker than us relative to how bad they had it when they did act. Their first cases were deaths, and when they did go into lockdown they had 800 deaths. We didn’t even have 400 deaths when we had full lockdown, and we had many less than that when put less drastic measures in place before that. People also have short memories, however strict the lockdown in Italy compared to the U.K. is there were widespread reports at the time that it was not being followed and taken seriously at the start. It was also a disaster to lock down the north first and then the whole country because it lead to a mass movement of people  beforehand. The fact that Italy’s first cases were deaths meant they have been playing on the back foot from the start. Their health service has been overwhelmed at times with reports about how they have had to deny hospital admittance and make awful choices. We have had a much longer time frame to prepare, build a hospital from scratch, source ventilators etc which will assist in a avoiding unnecessary deaths relative to Italy. It’s not to say we won’t end up being worse than Italy, who knows? But when we started lockdown relative to them will not determine it, not will population density.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Cram as much as you can in your basket and go as few times as possible. Save up the odds and ends buying for one visit, to reduce the risk to yourself and others. Browsing and shopping for bits and pieces can't really be a thing these days, when shopping needs to be a well planned exercise. 

7 minutes ago, oneeye said:

It's  NO from me, simple. Order your beer on line and get it delivered if you need supplies.

Absolutely necessary comes to mind 

I have made a massive online order of booze,  but naturally there is a huge backlog so deliveries are taking a week or longer. Many aren’t even taking online orders anymore.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I have made a massive online order of booze,  but naturally there is a huge backlog so deliveries are taking a week or longer. Many aren’t even taking online orders anymore.

Then unfortunately you should go without until you get your supplies delivered.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's 10 metres away....surely this is better than going further to a bigger shop...or even getting it delivered.

This is a wind up, right?! What part of the current lockdown do you not understand? People are continuing to die, is it really acceptable to just nip out for beer?

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's 10 metres away....surely this is better than going further to a bigger shop...or even getting it delivered.

Going multiple times, holding dirty basket handles?  It being close doesn't make it much safer - it's spending time at indoor spaces near people that's the problem. The checkout is probably the most dangerous place you can be at the moment, I would avoid multiple trips if possible.

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Not gonna lie lads, loving the logic of 'don't you dare go outside you monster, get the delivery guy to go outside instead'

Not what I meant, cheap shot. If delivery is an option then use it otherwise go without until next big shop

No one for one minute underestimating or taking for granted anyone currently having  to work outside of home

Edited by oneeye