When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Because you lot actually did something sooner than other places to try and curb the spread? Despite the numbers being inflated, it should get  you into thinking you should do better to keep the numbers down and to tell the number crunchers to piss off. 

Fortunately where I live in Los Angeles, theyve been trying to be ahead as much as possible given the circumstances. The mayor just required facial coverings when going to essential businesses or be denied service. Employees at all essential businesses will also be required to wear facial coverings.  So let me know when you get there and arent just waiting for Boris to order everyone around.

Well yes? Italy’s first cases were deaths, it doesn't matter how strict their lockdown has been in comparison to the U.K., they already had 800 deaths by the time they put in hence they were already overrun with it. Their lockdown also contributed massively to spreading the virus as it was known to be happening 24 hours before, so you had mass movement of people trying to avoid it helping to spread it even more. It was also widely reported that the Italians didn’t take it seriously to start with anyway, because it was brought in so suddenly and they are used to defying the government, hence why it ended up being quite so strict. 

Its not telling the number crunchers to piss off in the slightest, all the numbers apart from this one tell a completely different story. It’s simply calling out completely inaccurate information. 

Having said all of that if you can make a credible case for U.K. deaths hitting 60k and Italy hitting just 20k based on the the chart below then good luck to you. Sadly it looks like only the US that will be troubling that number and that was truly an example of sitting on your hands.

0062F65A-49E3-4184-B080-02ADC782372C.jpeg

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

6 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

This confused me earlier as BBC breaking reported the individual figures as follows:

England - 758

N.Ireland - 73

Scotland - 74

Wales - 19

So that is 924 not 786??

I saw in the Guardian yesterday that the DHSC figures have been lower than the NHS England ones for a few days. I've no idea why though...

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I saw in the Guardian yesterday that the DHSC figures have been lower than the NHS England ones for a few days. I've no idea why though...

Different reporting periods. The DHSC stop counting at 5pm the previous day the others might be up to midnight the previous day. 

33 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

the headline numbers being reported each day are only the deaths in hospitals.

There's a 2nd set of numbers using mentions of covid-19 on death certificates, which is around 20% higher.

For some strange reason the govt changed how the numbers would be reported, about 10 days ago. ;) 

I have purposefullly refrained from passing comment for a while as I did not want to convey a continual stream of bad news. The official government figures provide enough testimony. It is now appropriate to return with an update from the frontline.....as some may recall Mrs Lycra is a nurse heavily involved in the fight against Covid-19.

The last 3 weeks on Mrs Lycra's unit  have been horrendous and continue to be so (her words). There have been many deaths and very few instances of recovery. This week however has bought a change and with it a glimmer of hope. Deaths still continue but the influx of new patients has slowed and for the first time the unit has a few empty beds. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Edited by Lycra
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I have purposefullly refrained from passing comment for a while as I did not want to convey a continual stream of bad news. The official government figures provide enough testimony. It is now appropriate to return with an update from the frontline.....as some may recall Mrs Lycra is a nurse heavily involved in the fight against Covid-19.

The last 3 weeks on Mrs Lycra's unit  have been horrendous and continue to be so (her words). There have been many deaths and very few instances of recovery. This week however has bought a change and with it a glimmer of hope. Deaths still continue but the influx of new patients has slowed and for the first time the unit has a few empty beds. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Much love to Mrs Lycra. One of the heroes that deserves the clapping.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

No, I don't think it says anything about the government response, but I think it says something about the way IDS views the world...which is actually quite consistent with his previous actions. 

So it's the "working like mad" comment that's the problem, most people would say "fighting against" or "battling" a disease. Got you.

25 minutes ago, Lycra said:

...that's good news.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

as some may recall Mrs Lycra is a nurse heavily involved in the fight

We owe so much to Mrs L She and her colleagues and deserves our deepest gratitude. I only hope when this nightmare ends that the country and its political leaders continue to show the same levels of support, love and appreciation to everyone in the nhs. Mrs c is out in the community as a care worker with limited PPE . The elderly, especially those with dementia are bewildered and scared, no families visiting and different carers every day. 

We have had a defence strategy for decades funded and prepared for war, maybe now this situation will ensure we will have an nhs funded enough to be ready if this ever happens again. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We owe so much to Mrs L She and her colleagues and deserves our deepest gratitude. I only hope when this nightmare ends that the country and its political leaders continue to show the same levels of support, love and appreciation to everyone in the nhs. Mrs c is out in the community as a care worker with limited PPE . The elderly, especially those with dementia are bewildered and scared, no families visiting and different carers every day. 

We have had a defence strategy for decades funded and prepared for war, maybe now this situation will ensure we will have an nhs funded enough to be ready if this ever happens again. 

I think we will now going forward, like countries in the Far East have who have been affected by Sarrs, Mers etc more recently are now prepared. I think it’s understandable that until now we haven’t though. We’re not alone in that, the only country in the western world you can say is even remotely prepared is Germany.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think we will now going forward, like countries in the Far East have who have been affected by Sarrs, Mers etc more recently are now prepared. I think it’s understandable that until now we haven’t though. We’re not alone in that, the only country in the western world you can say is even remotely prepared is Germany.

Possibly, but we have been aware of the threat of a pandemic for decades. We are now  learning the lessons of history the hard way . 

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

just says to all the relatives of people who have died that they didn't fight hard enough.

I understand it can be construed like that. But to me that feels like an unfair interpretation.

“They’re a fighter” (and similar) is just something we say to make *ourselves* feel better in helpless situations. A bit like saying “I’m praying for him” or whatever. No one says to someone who said they’ll pray for someone that dies “Oh so your god didn’t work!? What a crap god” 

I have said “they’re a fighter” about people who have gone on to die. I will try not to say it again, but sometimes it’s hard to find the right words 

In terms of when this will end, am I the only one who thinks months is ridiculous? This isn’t about preserving life, it will come down to the goverment paying out the least amount of money in unemployment and furlough etc., whilst not overwhelming the NHS. Thinking we will be inside until there’s a vaccine is mad. 

I'm sure there will be the mother of all enquirees after all this...and the fact that we should have got more prepared in January/February will come into it. In the future who knows, all this is going to cost lots of money, which means tax...and on the whole people just want stuff for free.

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I understand it can be construed like that. But to me that feels like an unfair interpretation.

“They’re a fighter” (and similar) is just something we say to make *ourselves* feel better in helpless situations. A bit like saying “I’m praying for him” or whatever. No one says to someone who said they’ll pray for someone that dies “Oh so your god didn’t work!? What a crap god” 

I have said “they’re a fighter” about people who have gone on to die. I will try not to say it again, but sometimes it’s hard to find the right words 

well, they have speech writers and advisers who know what all this means...and they know that BoJo could do very well out of all this.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Possibly, but we have been aware of the threat of a pandemic for decades. We are now  learning the lessons of history the hard way . 

The lessons of history being from over 100 years ago with the Spanish Flu. The biggest cause of death due to Spanish flu was bacterial pneumonia because we did not have antibiotics at the time, so even if that repeated itself now the circumstances would be completely different and we could’ve dealt with it far more easily. That’s the last time we had something comparable, so I think it’s more than understandable that nobody has been prepared for this. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

well, they have speech writers and advisers who know what all this means...and they know that BoJo could do very well out of all this.

What’s a better phrasing for a press conference? I’ve tried wondering and after praising medical teams always end up with something similar.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Big love to your lady friend. I bet you're so proud x

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure there will be the mother of all enquirees after all this...and the fact that we should have got more prepared in January/February will come into it. In the future who knows, all this is going to cost lots of money, which means tax...and on the whole people just want stuff for free.

The Chinese only admitted human to human transmission was possible on or around 20th January, and at that point had only confirmed 500 cases of it. How exactly would we have prepared for something in January that at the time posed no conceivable threat? China pulled the wool over the WHO eyes for long enough, why would we have been any different?

Its clear Iike the rest of the world we’re still preparing now on an ongoing basis, this isn’t something that’s happened for 100 years. Sure mistakes have been made and lessons have been learned, but you can’t magic ventilators, PPE equipment, staff, hospital beds etc out of thin air when the rest of the world is also in the same position.