When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Sorry Mark but you're way off, Andy Ngo's tweet is from back in December when this protest happened, as far as I am aware no one has posted it today (other than me) and I certainly didn't do it to start an online witch hunt, I merely remembered the comment from the time,  and thought it was relevent now,  as you admit to shouting for Thatcher's death you obviously have a different view on what is acceptable political comment so we will have to agree to differ on that, I am now going to take advice from a much wiser man and end this, thanks Stu.

Yo why did you see the news and think of it as a good opportunity to seek out times when people have wished death upon the man? What were you planning to gain from it?

edit: sorry I see you’ve drawn a line at this and want to move on and that’s agreeable

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, gizmoman said:

Sorry Mark but you're way off, Andy Ngo's tweet is from back in December when this protest happened, as far as I am aware no one has posted it today (other than me) and I certainly didn't do it to start an online witch hunt, I merely remembered the comment from the time,  and thought it was relevent now,  as you admit to shouting for Thatcher's death you obviously have a different view on what is acceptable political comment so we will have to agree to differ on that, I am now going to take advice from a much wiser man and end this, thanks Stu.

Okay.  I wrongly thought that Ngo was starting a twitter campaign on the back of today's news.  I'm glad to have been put right on that front - I was genuinely worried about how it would have played out.

Yep, I agree to differ about what we consider acceptable in political protest.  It's the same with humour - some people get black humour, whilst others are genuinely offended/disgusted by it.  I'm happy for you to vilify me, for what I've said about Thatcher etc. and that female protester for what she said in December, so long as you're open to the possibility that she's currently at home wishing the best for Boris like the rest of us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gizmoman said:

lets hope the medics treating Boris are a bit more reasoned than this woman,

People who down-voted this need to take a look in the bloody mirror. Wishing a horrible death on anyone is disgusting. She's very representative of a large minority on the Left; the very middle class, telling the working class what's best for them and telling politicians "to go fuck themselves" isn't an argument. It's people like that why Labour lost so triumphantly. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Singapore going for full lockdown today. Weren't they praised before for getting numbers down without one? Short lived it seems.

I guess this is the worry for all countries. They keep numbers down by whatever means, and then soon as they open up travel/trade etc people from infected counties bring it back in. It's why China stopped flights from Europe when outbreak started here, and why this is truly a global problem.

Let's hope Boris recovers and whilst being treated in hospitals by people from all over the world he gains a new respect for experts and frontline staff and emerges from this a better more humble man and by extension a better leader than he has been thus far. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Singapore going for full lockdown today. Weren't they praised before for getting numbers down without one? Short lived it seems.

Singapore have been contact tracing for some time though without the strict measures, it wasn’t necessarily going to be a permanent solution just like it wasn’t when we tried it at the very start. I think it can be seen as a positive In so as much that when we exit lockdown, if we can stay in that phase for as long as they have before having to lockdown again then it will be a good thing.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess this is the worry for all countries. They keep numbers down by whatever means, and then soon as they open up travel/trade etc people from infected counties bring it back in. It's why China stopped flights from Europe when outbreak started here, and why this is truly a global problem.

I suppose watching what happens in these countries will inform our exit strategy somewhat. Thing is, without a vaccine, I just don't know how we get it out of this. And by we I don't just mean the UK, but the world.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I suppose watching what happens in these countries will inform our exit strategy somewhat. Thing is, without a vaccine, I just don't know how we get it out of this. And by we I don't just mean the UK, but the world.

Herd immunity and the virus mutating to a less virulent form

24 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They were and it should be noted that the overall numbers still arent that high compared to other countries. Wouldn't say its short lived either considering they've been on alert since the end of January when everyone returned from Chinese New Year holidays.

They seem to have been caught out by the amount of people returning during the middle of the month to beat border closures (Expats and familes returning, citizen studying in the US and UK, people on holiday etc) who have ended up carrying the virus. Numbers started to rise again and Local transmission was somewhat kept in check, until last week where a couple of clusters formed as well as a number of foreign construction workers coming down with it and it starting to spread through cramped dorms where they all live, often 8 to a room. 

I wouldn't say we are at a full lockdown yet. Parks are still open, Most F & B will attempt to survive on Take-away only and people are encouraged to exercise whilst maintaining social distancing measures but it's definitely a step up from the last month where things have mostly been normal while the rest of the world has shut down.

Edited by Gregfc15
spelling

1 minute ago, Gregfc15 said:

They were and it should be noted that the overall numbers still arent that high compared to other countries. Wouldn't say its short lived either considering they've been on alert since the end of January when everyone returned from Chinese New Year holidays.

They seem to have been caught out by the amount of people returning during the middle of the month to beat border closures (Expats and familes returning, citizen studying in the US and UK, people on holiday etc) who have ended up carrying the virus. Numbers started to rise again and Local transmission was somewhat kept in check, until last week where a couple of clusters formed as well as a number of foreign construction workers coming down with it and it starting to spread through cramped dorms where they all live, often 8 to a room. 

I wouldn't say we are at a full lockdown yet. Parks are still open, and people are encouraged to exercise whilst maintaining social distancing measures but it's definitely a step up from the last month where thingfs have mostly been normal while the rest of the world has shut down.

Cheers for the detail. I take it you live there? And yes sorry I meant lockdown as in what we have in the UK (but also with hairdressers open apparently?).

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Herd immunity and the virus mutating to a less virulent form

No guarantee of the latter right? I know @Toilet Duck wrote something about this the other day, probably quite a few pages back now.

2 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

I wouldn't say we are at a full lockdown yet. Parks are still open, Most F & B will attempt to survive on Take-away only and people are encouraged to exercise whilst maintaining social distancing measures but it's definitely a step up from the last month where things have mostly been normal while the rest of the world has shut down.

Yes, this article explains it and any measures they are deciding to take now are still with relatively low case numbers:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/the-asian-countries-that-beat-covid-19-have-to-do-it-again/amp

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What are the chances of the later happening and how long would it take?

@Toilet Duck is the best person to answer that. I believe that’s what happened with Spanish Flu, it eventually died out naturally, but unfortunately not before an even more deadly second peak. Each time a virus is passed from one person to another it can change ever so slightly, and therefore it’s possible that over time that it weakens as part of this process.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:
14 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Cheers for the detail. I take it you live there? And yes sorry I meant lockdown as in what we have in the UK (but also with hairdressers open apparently?).

Yep. Considering it was one of the first countries to spread to, its been managed really well and things were mostly normal up until now (and definitely one of the reasons why I initially wasn’t  that worried about the festival Being cancelled) 

All good. I didn’t mean that reply to be intended “at” you. It’s not quite the level of a European lockdown and the list of essential services is pretty broad, but there is also not much point anymore trying to balance economy against the public health risk when the local economy is tied so closely to the international one. 

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

@Toilet Duck is the best person to answer that. I believe that’s what happened with Spanish Flu, it eventually died out naturally, but unfortunately not before an even more deadly second peak. Each time a virus is passed from one person to another it can change ever so slightly, and therefore it’s possible that over time that it weakens as part of this process.

So the post I was thinking of that @Toilet Duck made the other day suggested coronaviruses don't mutate as much as flu viruses. But I don't want to misquote him, it was pretty complex!

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So the post I was thinking of that @Toilet Duck made the other day suggested coronaviruses don't mutate as much as flu viruses. But I don't want to misquote him, it was pretty complex!

Yeah I know the one you mean, I think TD was framing that as good news in the sense that we have less worry of it behaving like the flu and mutating every year, which is good for developing a vaccine, but what that means in terms of it getting weaker I have no idea. 

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh yeah, he knows more than me about it. It's not so much about it mutating so it goes away, it's the hope that it mutates little by little to becoming less fatal/virulent, so it's easier to manage, hand in hand with better treatments/more immunity from more people catching it 

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:
38 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Yes, this article explains it and any measures they are deciding to take now are still with relatively low case numbers:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/the-asian-countries-that-beat-covid-19-have-to-do-it-again/amp

Actually that’s a good article and explains it much better than I could. Some of the international analysis of this region has been poor or condensed into 2 sentences. Thanks for posting. 

Edited by Gregfc15