When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

But surely they won’t be for Boris ? Doesn’t he have his own dr for starters ? 

No idea what his medical arrangements are (but presumably the leader of the country is being looked after as best as can be). It’s not great that he’s in ICU, clearly doesn’t have mild symptoms. Just have to hope he makes it. 

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

If being antifascist requires you to wish people dead then that sounds very similar to facism to me.

It does not require it and is in no way similar.  My kids have stood the line with antifa and I'm proud of them for doing so.  

This is typical propaganda: take the worst action of the most idiotic of your opponents and paint that as being the majority.

I didn't condemn you for posting Andy Ngo stuff, even if some quite rightly find that offensive because I figured you didn't realise and the point of people feeling that publicly wishing people harm DOES harm is still a valid one.  I wouldn't want some c**t calling for the death of a loved one so its only fair that I not want to hear the same about anyone.

Edited by Spindles

6 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It does not require it and is in no way similar.  My kids have stood the line with antifa and I'm proud of them for doing so.  

This is typical propaganda: take the worst action of the most idiotic of your opponents and paint that as being the majority.

I didn't condemn you for posting Andy Ngo stuff, even if some quite rightly find that offensive because I figured you didn't realise and the point of people feeling that publicly wishing people harm DOES harm is still a valid one.  I wouldn't want some c**t calling for the death of a loved one so its only fair that I not want to hear the same about anyone.

That's very noble of you.

Meanwhile, a woman is about to have her life torn apart by the social media morons who fall for a fascist troll's deliberate ploy to vilify her.  As always, the left navel gazes about politeness whilst the alt-right couldn't care less and stamp all over us.  And we'll all be swept along with the populist movement that's been deliberately encouraged to confuse a principled, seething hatred of Boris Johnson's policies with actually wishing him to die of a specific virus, which most of us were unaware of until a month ago.  The alt-right are going to do very nicely out of this one.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Meanwhile, a woman is about to have her life torn apart by the social media morons who fall for a fascist troll's deliberate ploy to vilify her.  As always, the left navel gazes about politeness whilst the alt-right couldn't care less and stamp all over us.  And we'll all be swept along with the populist movement that's been deliberately encouraged to confuse a principled, seething hatred of Boris Johnson's policies with actually wishing him to die of a specific virus, which most of us were unaware of until a month ago.  The alt-right are going to do very nicely out of this one.

Good point well made, apologies for any annoyance my post caused.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

That's very noble of you.

Sadly she never mentioned any of his policies, she was too busy calling him a pig etc. I noticed the video I linked to was edited and was worried the poster had left out some more reasoned speech but I found another more complete version of the clip (on a more left wing source) and it's not really any different. I won't repost it as I didn't intend to start a witch hunt but any blowback from this is entirely her own fault, she knew her comments were being reported and in fact, repeated them to make sure she got the point across. If you believe Boris is as bad as Hitler then maybe you can justify this but most people wouldn't compare them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Sadly she never mentioned any of his policies, she was too busy calling him a pig etc. I noticed the video I linked to was edited and was worried the poster had left out some more reasoned speech but I found another more complete version of the clip (on a more left wing source) and it's not really any different. I won't repost it as I didn't intend to start a witch hunt but any blowback from this is entirely her own fault, she knew her comments were being reported and in fact, repeated them to make sure she got the point across. If you believe Boris is as bad as Hitler then maybe you can justify this but most people wouldn't compare them.

Remember Simon, the kid you used to take the piss out of at primary school?   He died last night.  I'm contacting all his friends and family and trying to start an online campaign to harness all that fresh grief and turn it into hatred against you for having spoken ill of the dead.

You won't understand the point I'm making here.  Anyone with a couple of brain-cells to rub together will.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Remember Simon, the kid you used to take the piss out of at primary school?   He died last night.  I'm contacting all his friends and family and trying to start an online campaign to harness all that fresh grief and turn it into hatred against you for having spoken ill of the dead.

You won't understand the point I'm making here.  Anyone with a couple of brain-cells to rub together will.

No, because it’s not a point. It’s not hard to not wish people horrible deaths. However much you oppose their ideas. 

6 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Nice, resorting to personal insults, bit like the girl in the video?

The ‘kinder gentler politics’ was full of death wishes for various groups, or indeed anyone slightly to the right of Karl Marx. My twitter and fb all day every day was DEATH TO TORIES, DIE TORY SCUM etc etc. To pretend this lady is some kind of outlier is a nonsense. To pretend she is, in fact, the victim is even weirder. 

Congrats 

7 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

No, because it’s not a point. It’s not hard to not wish people horrible deaths. However much you oppose their ideas. 

It is not hard to avoid judging and condemning people based on selected clips of them in a post election rant.

17 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

The ‘kinder gentler politics’ was full of death wishes for various groups, or indeed anyone slightly to the right of Karl Marx. My twitter and fb all day every day was DEATH TO TORIES, DIE TORY SCUM etc etc. To pretend this lady is some kind of outlier is a nonsense. To pretend she is, in fact, the victim is even weirder. 

Congrats 

Give it a fucking rest, the PM might be dying.

Edit: and that goes for everyone arguing about that clip.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Nice, resorting to personal insults, bit like the girl in the video?

Gizmoman: I can understand why you're feeling so butt-hurt.  I've spoken nastily to you and down-voted you.  Quite beastly behaviour really.  And all you did is try to recruit a few of pitch-fork waving delegates to join the rapidly-growing populist mob which are currently in the process of destroying someone's life.  Her life is going to be hell from now on, as the fascist troll you quoted intended, and that includes a genuine risk of violence from knuckle-dragging morons.  Still, at least she hasn't been spoken to nastily or had a downvote - that's real online abuse and I can't imagine how you're managing to cope with it.

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

The ‘kinder gentler politics’ was full of death wishes for various groups, or....

Politics is dirty.  Boris himself is famous for his outrageous comments - they have done him very well with the far right of his party, even though they're supposedly tongue-in-cheek: 'piccaninnies,' 'letter-boxes,' etc.  I'll admit to having shouted for Thatcher's death on marches - not that any of us actually wanted it, but because hyperbole like that is part of radical politics, and always has been.  However, whenever someone's life is in genuine danger, the vast majority of us will understand that this is no time for hyperbole and will therefore tone it down out of respect.

In this case, the person who didn't 'tone it down' wasn't that protester.  It was a fascist troll who deliberately found something provocative which, because of today's unexpected events, he is able to use to score some political points whilst not giving a fuck about the pain it will cause to Boris' friends/family.

Even if you can't understand that you're being used by this fascist, you should at least do a little bit of research on him and decide whether you really want to be associated with him.

• Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Give it a fucking rest, the PM might be dying.

Edit: and that goes for everyone arguing about that clip.

Tough shit, I'm afraid.  I don't wish the man to die, but I'm not going to let the fascists turn this into a recruitment drive just because you're too afraid of causing offence to call them out.

4 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Gizmoman: I can understand why you're feeling so butt-hurt.  I've spoken nastily to you and down-voted you.  Quite beastly behaviour really.  And all you did is try to recruit a few of pitch-fork waving delegates to join the rapidly-growing populist mob which are currently in the process of destroying someone's life.  Her life is going to be hell from now on, as the fascist troll you quoted intended, and that includes a genuine risk of violence from knuckle-dragging morons.  Still, at least she hasn't been spoken to nastily or had a downvote - that's real online abuse and I can't imagine how you're managing to cope with it.

Politics is dirty.  Boris himself is famous for his outrageous comments - they have done him very well with the far right of his party, even though they're supposedly tongue-in-cheek: 'piccaninnies,' 'letter-boxes,' etc.  I'll admit to having shouted for Thatcher's death on marches - not that any of us actually wanted it, but because hyperbole like that is part of radical politics, and always has been.  However, whenever someone's life is in genuine danger, the vast majority of us will understand that this is no time for hyperbole and will therefore tone it down out of respect.

In this case, the person who didn't 'tone it down' wasn't that protester.  It was a fascist troll who deliberately found something provocative which, because of today's unexpected events, he is able to use to score some political points whilst not giving a fuck about the pain it will cause to Boris' friends/family.

Even if you can't understand that you're being used by this fascist, you should at least do a little bit of research on him and decide whether you really want to be associated with him.

I dislike Andy Ngo intensely. But I dislike your form of mental gymnastics to excuse this lady’s behaviour almost as much. And I just took a quick glance at the hole that is Twitter - it’s absolutely full of people wishing Boris dead. Exactly the people that would be defended in retrospect in forums like this. 

Yes, politics is a sewer. Peace out.

Edited by whitehorses
Sp and other corrections

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I dislike Andy Ngo intensely. But I dislike your form of mental gymnastics to ecsuse this lady’s behaviour just as much. And I just took a quick glance at the joke that is Twitter - it’s absolutely full of people wishing Boris dead. 

Yes, politics is a sewer. Peace out.

That's cool. I don't aspire to be either 'nice' or liked on here.  My only objective here is to be the awkward squad and make sure Andy Ngo doesn't get away with his trolling, at least on here.  If I'm down-voted into the middle ages for it, that will at least add a splash of colour to a page of otherwise grim reading.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

That's cool. I don't aspire to be either 'nice' or liked on here.  My only objective here is to be the awkward squad and make sure Andy Ngo doesn't get away with his trolling, at least on here.  If I'm down-voted into the middle ages for it, that will at least add a splash of colour to a page of otherwise grim reading.

I’ll give this an upvote when my thing is reset.

(FWIW I don’t give the slightest fuck about Andy Ngo. My own socials tell me this is not an outlying position. Your aspersions that I’m - and others - a ‘fascist‘ for disagreeing with you and disliking the BoJo death lady is just crazy, I’m a fucking Green Party member. Anyway, let’s leave it hey). X 

Edited by whitehorses

6 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Sorry Mark but you're way off, Andy Ngo's tweet is from back in December when this protest happened, as far as I am aware no one has posted it today (other than me) and I certainly didn't do it to start an online witch hunt, I merely remembered the comment from the time,  and thought it was relevent now,  as you admit to shouting for Thatcher's death you obviously have a different view on what is acceptable political comment so we will have to agree to differ on that, I am now going to take advice from a much wiser man and end this, thanks Stu.