When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Yep, if and when mask wearing is recommended and made available, then strong public information campaigns needed to accompany it. I think most people are paying attention at the moment, so as lockdown is lifted, perfect time to get some key messages across and alter behaviour (with the carrot being if it works, we can help avoid another lockdown...going to need more than masks, but every bit helps)..

100% agree.  It's still early days in Austria and Germany with what I expect to be the template we'll follow, it'd be a pack with masks, info sheet and perhaps some sanitary products distributed to everyone in the country, which is a herculean effort in itself to achieve in a short time period.

Talking of effort, while people have been quick to criticise planning and implementation at a state level, you have to give enormous credit for the transfer of care services into hotels and other locations that they have achieved, genuinely brought a tear to my eye to see the results of that effort coming to fruition and praise for that is needed.  The primary concern is looking after people, and this is evidence that much of what has been being worked on has been the right action at the right time.

Our PM used to be a doctor and has rejoined the medical register and is apparently going to be doing one shift a week at the hospital he used to work at. Knowing him I think its maybe a publicity stunt but then again if they are struggling it might give someone else a shift off.

13 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It takes propanalol and preparation just to get me to my weekly shopping expedition to the supermarket 200m from my front door, I am certain you are far from alone.  I'm just high enough risk to be kept off work at home but not high enough to be one of the government letter people, I've been being incredibly careful and having to run out weekly for catfood and basic supplies is my only risk factor.

Today on my walk along the prom, some random guy made his way over to me as I assume he thought he knew me, got to just before a meter away and started to talk, I walked past and briefly looked at him to say no. Ever since I was paranoid I had been contaminated, I got home and later on had to have another bath before I could feel settled. It's OCD I realise but I was so worried.

You’ve got to think of the mask wearing as flipping on its head when we move to some sort of exit strategy. In the early stages of the outbreak a few people decided to wear them to protect themselves, this was misguided and also discouraged because it would be a bad idea to provide any sort of encouragement for people wearing them and risk taking them away from medical staff. Just look at the issue we’re having now getting enough PPE to them, the last thing we need is loads of people buying and wearing masks. But as case numbers fall, strain on the NHS falls and we look to an exit strategy, mask wearing flips on its head. If everyone wears one it stops the spread of the virus and they won’t be needed in great numbers by the NHS anymore.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, Smeble said:

Say what you will about Boris but this is beyond bad. 

It is, I know Blair went in for surgery whilst in office but I think that was fairly routine. I don't know the last time a sitting PM was this ill, was it Eden?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Shit guys, the PM has been taken to intensive care. How horrible for him and his family, I hope he pulls through.

Much like last nights news this has absolutely broken me.  This is not what any of us wanted to see, I'm politically about as opposed as you can be but totally devastated for the man, hoping for the very best for him and this is a cruel blow to the nation right now.  Just horrible.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Much like last nights news this has absolutely broken me.  This is not what any of us wanted to see, I'm politically about as opposed as you can be but totally devastated for the man, hoping for the very best for him and this is a cruel blow to the nation right now.  Just horrible.

I know man, he's got a kid on the way too and his partner that's carrying the kid is also suffering. I think she is recovering which is something!

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

ICU means ventilators doesnt it?...

Spokesperson on the news said he’s not yet on a ventilator and he has just been taken to intensive care as a precaution.

The fact that he’s had it for 10 days now, hasn't managed to fight it off and it has in fact deteriorated further can’t be good though.  

Just now, Madyaker said:

From what I understand thats the only reason someone with this would be taken to the ICU. Its not a death sentence, many who go into ICU come out again.

Oh, absolutely. Just that obviously it's a LOT more serious.