When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've already seen some latex gloves on the floor near my house :(

That's not the virus that's your neighbours probing ! 

17 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It's also my own complaint locally.  I've seen multiple pairs discarded on the car park of asda the last couple of visits.  If you think it's worth worrying that the gloves might be contaminated enough to get in your car with them it is just plain cruel to expect someone else to pick them up.  Treat it like dogmuck.  Bag and dispose of it responsibly.

Did you see that thing on Facebook where a woman was caught on camera pulling up at side of road and throwing dog muck bag out of the window ? - Priceless - in the sense that she got caught in the act

Edited by ivan

4 minutes ago, ivan said:

Did you see that thing on Facebook where a woman was caught on camera pulling up at side of road and throwing dog muck bag out of the window ? - Priceless - in the sense that she got caught in the act

Reminds me of this, which for some reason five years later I still remember:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/man-picks-up-warm-dog-shit-seals-it-in-a-bag-then-leaves-it-in-the-hedge-2015030295853

22 minutes ago, ivan said:

The actual fuck?

That mash story is a favourite of mine.  I cycle to work and the familar sight of a black plastic bag, neatly knotted, hanging from a branch is like trees that produce the worst kind of fruit.  I've never got it, good on you for picking it up so no one treads in it or spreads it around, but what was it about carrying that sealed bag as far as the next bin you pass that was so impossible to bear?

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Can I ask a silly question re the masks people would likely have to wear? Are they meant to be disposed of after every use or can you wash and reuse them?

I presume the material has some paper and filter elements that would be ruined in the wash , but i could be wrong 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've already seen some latex gloves on the floor near my house :(

I had to venture to the supermarket at the weekend. There was a woman in there doing her shopping wearing latex gloves.  On my drive home I saw her again walking through town, smoking a fag, still wearing the gloves. 

8 minutes ago, ivan said:

I presume the material has some paper and filter elements that would be ruined in the wash , but i could be wrong 

They would.  Some hospitals are sterilising masks to reuse them by holding them at 80c for 30 minutes (much like the advice on 20 minutes at 60c for bacteria with a safety margin) I have read.  I'm not suggesting you chuck a mask in the oven for half an hour personally, but essentially that's the practice.

So I guess what I'm really wondering is would we each need a fuck ton of these masks to wear every day? Rather than just one mask each? I don't really get how that would be possible. Presumably in other countries people are reusing the masks quite a bit?

This might interest some of you - you can volunteer to track your symptoms day to day in an attempt to track the spread of the virus. About 2 million signed up:

Help slow the spread of #COVID19 and identify at risk cases sooner by self-reporting your symptoms daily, even if you feel well  🙏🏼. Download the app https://covid.joinzoe.com/

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The mask thing is a bit of a red herring, you need to change it every few minutes to make any difference.

You think surgeons are stopping every few minutes to change their mask? They are good for about 3hours, but any face-covering helps limit the spread. 

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So I guess what I'm really wondering is would we each need a fuck ton of these masks to wear every day? Rather than just one mask each? I don't really get how that would be possible. Presumably in other countries people are reusing the masks quite a bit?

I was wondering this about masks too.

I'd be worried about taking it off and contaminating myself somehow.

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Take it off by the elastic bands, don’t touch the actual mask, dispose of properly, clean your hands!

Seems obvious when you say it!

Another random thought/question. It protects you from direct exposure via the mouth and nose. What about other parts of the head, you can still catch an infection via that route can't you?

Just now, Ozanne said:

Another random thought/question. It protects you from direct exposure via the mouth and nose. What about other parts of the head, you can still catch an infection via that route can't you?

The aim of the masks is to stop people who have the infection from spreading it, and by extension, protecting you. They offer little protection to the wearer (unless you want to go out in A full hazmat suit!)...If everyone wears a mask though, transmission is lowered, even from people who are infectious but not yet symptomatic...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I've heard it said you can get it through your eyes potentially? But j guess as @Toilet Duck says it's just about minimising possible infection routes.

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My son lives in Vienna, they've been issued 2 masks each. 

There is some good advice out there on mask practice as well, from governments and posts on reddit and the like from people on the front line sharing experiences and information.

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Take it off by the elastic bands, don’t touch the actual mask, dispose of properly, clean your hands!

Pinky finger hook grab, wash your hands when you're done.  You can be sure (from what I have read and discussed with people around the world I'm lucky enough to have got to know) that advice on this will be issued with masks.  We'll all be washing our hands regularly and well, sanitising and safely using masks on autopilot before very long like it's something we've always done.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What about other parts of the head, you can still catch an infection via that route can't you?

Anywhere moist is a risk is a good rule of thumb.  Mouth, nose, eyes.  Ears seems like a really low risk but I'm no doctor.  Washing before and after is good practice, be it for going to the toilet or the shops.

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Pinky finger hook grab, wash your hands when you're done.  You can be sure (from what I have read and discussed with people around the world I'm lucky enough to have got to know) that advice on this will be issued with masks.  We'll all be washing our hands regularly and well, sanitising and safely using masks on autopilot before very long like it's something we've always done.

Yep, if and when mask wearing is recommended and made available, then strong public information campaigns needed to accompany it. I think most people are paying attention at the moment, so as lockdown is lifted, perfect time to get some key messages across and alter behaviour (with the carrot being if it works, we can help avoid another lockdown...going to need more than masks, but every bit helps)..

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah very good points guys, I can't stop worrying about it when I'm out on a walk. Yet I know it'a good for me to go out for a bit of exercise.

It takes propanalol and preparation just to get me to my weekly shopping expedition to the supermarket 200m from my front door, I am certain you are far from alone.  I'm just high enough risk to be kept off work at home but not high enough to be one of the government letter people, I've been being incredibly careful and having to run out weekly for catfood and basic supplies is my only risk factor.