When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Getting it slightly more back on track, what do people think about Boris being in hospital? They're very much spinning the line that it's routine checks and I guess they'd err on the side of absolute caution. But he did spend the night. Am wondering if if it's more serious than they are letting on?

Its definitely more serious than they are letting on if he needs hospital tests rather than home tests. 

6 minutes ago, zero000 said:

At a time like this the country really needs a reminder about the difficulties  of self isolation, from a woman who lives in a castle. 

But many many people who are struggling through self isolation will have been cheered up by her saying it. Absolutely on board with the anachronistic nature of monarchy, but in these absolutely shit times if it brings comfort to people than all power to it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Loads of people are still having to go to work and being told by their bosses they have to go in, where they are with other people. If you’re one of those people, of course you’re not going to bothered by meeting a few mates in the park or popping round their house. Because you consider that more important than your job. It might well be. Until there’s an actual ban on working away from home for anyone that isn’t a key worker this will remain an issue.

Also someone dropping off a birthday present is no worse than getting an Amazon delivery. And dogs don’t die if they don’t get walked.

The problem is if you let one person sunbathe in a park then why can’t everyone sunbathe in a park? It shocks me how people don’t get this.

Start giving little exceptions and letting people sidetrack the rules and the whole thing falls apart.

I personally will not be sunbathing in parks because I know that loitering is prohibited for that reason. Also because rules are rules and they apply to everyone.

Edited by Matt42

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Getting it slightly more back on track, what do people think about Boris being in hospital? They're very much spinning the line that it's routine checks and I guess they'd err on the side of absolute caution. But he did spend the night. Am wondering if if it's more serious than they are letting on?

Very few people stay in hospital overnight to get “test” carried out the next day. Certainly not for this. 

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Loads of people are still having to go to work and being told by their bosses they have to go in, where they are with other people. If you’re one of those people, of course you’re not going to bothered by meeting a few mates in the park or popping round their house. Because you consider that more important than your job. It might well be. Until there’s an actual ban on working away from home for anyone that isn’t a key worker this will remain an issue.

Also someone dropping off a birthday present is no worse than getting an Amazon delivery. And dogs don’t die if they don’t get walked.

The response to the birthday present is ... is it essential ? If I’m being told and complying with the fact I can’t visit my folks that are nearby ... then I hardly see a present being essential ... transfer some money online and then let them get a bottle of wine in the online delivery .... we fortunately have the choice of outdoor excercise at the moment ... and the more people see people outside the more people think ah sod it it’s just the one essential trip out . Simple isn’t it ... stay at home , 1 shopping trip , once daily excercise from home and weekly supermarket trip 

24 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I assume he is being monitored for pneumonia, and if he has it he may be kept there for a while. Some recover whilst in hospital, some need intensive care because can't breath.

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think it's probably worse than they're letting on. Last night I was skyping with some friends and we were saying how it was weird he'd only made 2/3 broadcasts from isolation, and how in that last one he claimed that he only had one symptom left (fever) but looked ropey as hell. Then, mid way through the skype chat, the news comes up that he's been carted off to hospital. One of the guys on the chat works in health, and he said that it is around the eight day when people can start to go rapidly downhill so the timing would be consistent with that. I guess they're testing him for pneumonia, which is probably not  a great sign!

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The problem is if you let one person sunbathe in a park then why can’t everyone sunbathe in a park? It shocks me how people don’t get this.

The problem is if you let one person sunbathe in a garden then why can’t everyone sunbathe in a garden? It shocks me how people don’t get this.

;) 

I've got 15 square foot of yard. I know how lucky I am.

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The response to the birthday present is ... is it essential ?

just for the trip out, I went to the supermarket yesterday with the wife - and then sat in the car while she shopped.

The guy parked in front of me came out with a 55inch TV - and no food shopping.

I can get everything I want delivered to my door, and by a different guy almost every time.

What's essential? ;) 

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

just for the trip out, I went to the supermarket yesterday with the wife - and then sat in the car while she shopped.

I can get everything I want delivered to my door, and by a different guy almost every time.

What's essential? ;) 

That’s fair comment .. I just like to think of ways to avoid contact ... like I mentioned an online present of cash would have seemed adequate for me ... but yes that’s the question people have different understandings of 

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I think it's probably worse than they're letting on. Last night I was skyping with some friends and we were saying how it was weird he'd only made 2/3 broadcasts from isolation, and how in that last one he claimed that he only had one symptom left (fever) but looked ropey as hell. Then, mid way through the skype chat, the news comes up that he's been carted off to hospital. One of the guys on the chat works in health, and he said that it is around the eight day when people can start to go rapidly downhill so the timing would be consistent with that. I guess they're testing him for pneumonia, which is probably not  a great sign!

About 6 years ago I was hit by a car, as a result I broke my spine in 3 place and my ribs in 12 places, which meant I could only take shallow breaths I end up with pneumonia and went from not being on oxygen to being ventilated in about 4 hours. It’s scary how fast you can decline.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

What's essential? ;) 

One thing I think we shouldn't do is judge the actions of others. Perhaps this guy's TV had just curled up its toes and he has a couple of hormonal teenagers about to go postal on each other at home? I think I'd be off to purchase that new telly as a matter of urgency 'n' all!

Also if a different guy is making your delivery every time, surely that increases your risk?

Anywho, let's just try to stay home as much as absolutely possible.

As a group of friends we have decided to postpone all celebrations till the end of "Social Distancing" so no birthday cards will be sent on teh day, no cakes wil be baked, no anniversaries, nowt. We are going to have a mahoosive "WE MADE IT" party at the end. This generation's "VE Day"

Till then my chums, be safe, don't judge, wash your hands. Peace, love and Social Distancing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Start giving little exceptions and letting people sidetrack the rules and the whole thing falls apart.

I personally will not be sunbathing in parks because I know that loitering is prohibited for that reason. Also because rules are rules and they apply to everyone.

Not saying there should be exceptions. Just the rules don't apply to everyone really - because people are still, legally, being told they have to come into work and then do work within 2 meters of other people. That's still happening to a lot of people. It's easy for us on here with decent employees who are furloughing people or ensuring we work from home, but lots of people aren't in that position.

Put yourself in their shoes, going to work and closely interacting with 20 or so people every day, does being told not being able to sunbathe in a park sound reasonable to you?

42 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The response to the birthday present is ... is it essential ? If I’m being told and complying with the fact I can’t visit my folks that are nearby ... then I hardly see a present being essential ... transfer some money online and then let them get a bottle of wine in the online delivery .... we fortunately have the choice of outdoor excercise at the moment ... and the more people see people outside the more people think ah sod it it’s just the one essential trip out . Simple isn’t it ... stay at home , 1 shopping trip , once daily excercise from home and weekly supermarket trip 

Well you can drop off the present without interacting with anyone surely? I guess it's slightly different if you're walking instead of driving. And I'm assuming by drop off we're talking "leave on the doorstep then go". Yeah you could get them something delivered - but then that delivery driver is just having the interaction you would otherwise have, so nothing is lost/gained?

9 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

About 6 years ago I was hit by a car, as a result I broke my spine in 3 place and my ribs in 12 places, which meant I could only take shallow breaths I end up with pneumonia and went from not being on oxygen to being ventilated in about 4 hours. It’s scary how fast you can decline.

Eeep that is terrifying! I guess that's whats happened to him

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Pretty sure for most of them they had an order of the tests, subject to validation. I'm sure some suppliers insisted on an actual order (given the nature of the market), but from what I've read, most of the orders needed confirmation that they worked before the actual purchase was made, so it was just an option on the test, rather than having crates of them sitting around. And unfortunately, now that they have tested them, they are not sensitive enough to identify those whose viral load was low and whose immune response was weak. If they test about 1 month later, there's a possibility that they might work, but it also raises the question of how robust the immune response is (and subsequent immunological memory)...entirely possible that all of those who had mild symptoms, or none at all will not be immune after all, of if they are, it might not last very long (many vaccines require subsequent boosts to produce a long lasting immunity).