When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

For any programmers, it's basically speculative execution, but instead of a CPU making multiple computations whilst waiting for memory to return a value, he's building factories whilst waiting for a vaccine to complete trials.

It's handy that one of the richest men in the world is actively involved in world health initiatives, the Gates foundation is perfectly placed to help with this crisis.

23 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I know of 3 people that aren't included in the above total and none that are included.

My Mam, Dad and 2 brothers all self-isolating due to symptoms in the North-East, they seem to be on the mend but not always sure about Mam as she tends to down play things unfortunately = so there is 4 extra as well

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On the BBC this morning:

Measures could loosen in a few weeks' - UK scientific adviser

Prof Neil Ferguson, one of the UK government's top scientific advisers, has held out the prospect of restrictions being eased within a few weeks.

"There's a great deal of work underway to look at how we can substitute some of the intense social distancing in place with a regime more based on testing," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"We need to get case numbers down, we can't do it when we have as many people being infected as we have now," he said.

"So the key thing is to get case numbers down. And then I'm hopeful, whilst we don't have all the answers about how we'll do it yet. But I'm hopeful that in a few weeks' time we'll be able to move to a new regime - that will not be normal life, let me emphasise that - but it will be somewhat more relaxed in terms of social distancing and the economy, but relying on testing."

Obviously this might not happen, but wondering what that could look like. Maybe just non-essential shops and possibly pubs opening but still advice to work from home? Or maybe just non-essential shops? Hard to imagine how it wouldn't set us back.

I can see measures being loosened until we get proper testing and deaths going down... I think it will be June before we see some changes, end of May absolute earliest IMO.

I also think they will be stricter measures on going out ahead of Easter, as it's clear there is still a contingent of folk who are taking the piss and still not understanding the stay at home mantra

I unfortunately think we'll see daily death figures pass 1000 by Tuesday too :( 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haven't been out today but looking at Twitter it seems a lot of people have been taking the piss in parks etc. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the lockdown intensifies now. Tomorrow is going to be even warmer.

One of my neighbours had a party in their garden today...

I dunno, even those twitter photos seems have loads of people 2 metres apart.

Fine , close the parks on the weekends, but as long as people keep apart I think its fine

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fine , close the parks on the weekends, but as long as people keep apart I think its fine

I agree, but it's more about the furore around it. I think the pressure will be on the government to crack down more.

It's never gonna end is it. This our life now. There's only so many weekend I can drunkenly force my flatmates to put up with constant Glastonbury highlights*.

*I understand this is a tiny tiny problem in the grand scheme of things

7 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I know... Also, it will create shortage for people who actually need it to treat/prevent malaria - omg!

Physicians are already taking it away from Lupus patients because they think theyll cash in on demand.

And he is giving medical advice without being a doctor, so thats a whole other thing right there.

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

No, close the  parks every day. This isnt a time to be selective on when things are closed. If you close them on the weekends you’ll get more people to go to them during the week. Give the public zero incentive to gather anywhere even “safely”. Coddling people at this time is not going to help in the long run. Show them this is serious or theyll soon realize their entire summer is going to be erased because they decided to find the loophole in the stay at home order. In El Salvador they are publicly shaming anyone who violates the curfew they have imposed and Its working. Those 3rd world and “poor” countries that everyone shits on are doing a better job at keeping this at bay than the apparent superpowers are, I wonder why. 

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I had that when I was a teenager but believe it stopped soon after. How long had it been going for? 

1953 until 2005 in the UK (I looked it up yesterday).

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

What could go wrong?

The thing is all Trump cares about is power and perception will help him with this especially as the general public don’t really care about lies or truth. So with Trump saying try this drug, he’ll be seen as proactively suggesting something that will help no matter if it’s actually true or not.

This is one of the biggest issues facing politics in general, people don’t seem care if they are obviously being lied to. Look at the general election, the reports about the Tories were brushed under the carpet because Corbyn wanted to offer free broadband (and other things). It’s not helped by a media that refuses to hold a right wing party to account and by a general malaise about truth.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He said “hydroxychloroquine”? Successfully?

The auto q said

Hi-droxy-claw-rock-win, maintaining the 'no more than 5 letters in a word' rule; bless him

• Upvote 2