When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aye, I'm with you on this. I live by myself and I'm working from home so I've had zero human interaction (other than people serving me in the shop every few days or smiling at me during a run) for 14 days already. It's fine for now, and actually, I've been keeping pretty busy with Skype calls and stuff, but if it goes on for months, I will legit lose the plot. 

That's exactly it. A few weeks is fine, you can put up with anything for a few weeks. But months?? It will be really awful for a lot of people :( hope you are doing ok and its good you're keeping busy :) hopefully will get a bit better soon!

I don't really mind if they keep pubs and that shut for a bit longer but not being able to see anyone is hard

5 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Seems a lot of hope being put on the forthcoming NHS App, which will notify the user when they have been in close proximity to anyone who is a known Covid-19 case, which will then prompt them to self-isolate. It's not going to be mandatory but if decent numbers take it up it is expected to help greatly.

Otherwise, it's down, whether we like it or not, to herd immunity, with the likelihood there's already many more who have/had the virus this will build in time to be as good a protection as any.

Also worth noting, again for perspective, the actual number of those who died in the UK of all causes is actually DOWN so far this year on the usual rate for the time of year, so it isn't (yet) as cataclysmic as it seems to be.

I think they had similar to this in China.

11 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I'm classed as a key worker so still going to work. What I'm finding the hardest is I cant see my boyfriend or my family but still seeing people at work (and to be honest a lot of them have poor personal hygiene at the best of times so I'm not 100% convinced they are all taking the extra precautions..) so I'm really struggling with it. We aren't allowed to work from home.

I know I don't have a choice and I have to do it for as long as necessary but mentally I don't know how much longer I can cope with it for if it's going to continue much more than the  initial '3 week lockdown' its really, really lonely :( 

Hi Ms Welly

Homo Sapiens is fundamentally a social species and isolation is difficult. More for some than others. Take care of yourself. I don't know if you do, but take the time to ring people in your family or friends every night, jsut ring up for a chat (Skype, Zoom, whatever) it will help them as much as you. Get involved in online discussions. It can help.

Don't suffer in silence.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

That's exactly it. A few weeks is fine, you can put up with anything for a few weeks. But months?? It will be really awful for a lot of people :( hope you are doing ok and its good you're keeping busy :) hopefully will get a bit better soon!

I don't really mind if they keep pubs and that shut for a bit longer but not being able to see anyone is hard

Yeh, I don't mind not going to the pub or to festivals or whatever for a few months...(dare I say, even a year?), but not being able to go over to my friends' houses (even just elsewhere in Glasgow) to hang out is so hard. For now I'm dealing with it, but I think a lot of people will start to go a bit nuts a few months down the line. 

Edited by Sasperella

8 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Hi Ms Welly

Homo Sapiens is fundamentally a social species and isolation is difficult. More for some than others. Take care of yourself. I don't know if you do, but take the time to ring people in your family or friends every night, jsut ring up for a chat (Skype, Zoom, whatever) it will help them as much as you. Get involved in online discussions. It can help.

Don't suffer in silence.

Thank you :) I hope you are doing ok!!

I am really making an effort with phone calls and video calls, I did made the mistake last week when I was feeling a bit down of shutting myself off but thankfully a lovely efester messaged me and reminded me to get my arse back on here! So that has helped!! its just so difficult for everyone

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, I don't mind not going to the pub or to festivals or whatever for a few months...(dare I say, even a year?), but not being able to go over to my friend's house (even just elsewhere in Glasgow) to hang out is so hard. For now I'm dealing with it, but I think a lot of people will start to go a bit nuts a few months down the line. 

That's exactly where I am with it!! Snap!!

Hopefully we will be able to see people sooner rather than later fingers crossed!!  :) 

How does it all end? The only way I can see it ending (before a vaccine) is when we know exactly who in the country has had it, who in the country currently has it (isolate them) and then test everybody coming in to the country. How long would that take though 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You never know, one of these drug treatments being worked on round the world might prove successful....

You would love to hope so, but we should all be very cautious of country or company rushing through a vaccine without sufficient testing etc, and the potential of us all end up with health conditions/complications further down the line. 
The experts are all saying 12-18 months as a very optimistic timeframe for a viable vaccine, so anything produced before then would be a massive risk to mass rollout. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

You would love to hope so, but we should all be very cautious of country or company rushing through a vaccine without sufficient testing etc, and the potential of us all end up with health conditions/complications further down the line. 
The experts are all saying 12-18 months as a very optimistic timeframe for a viable vaccine, so anything produced before then would be a massive risk to mass rollout. 

I saw an article which said they are speeding up the trials but making them challenge trials

I’ve just had a phone call saying my hospital appointment on the 20th of April will now be done over the phone. It’s just to discuss recent tests. It does mean that hospitals are still going down lockdown protocols after the planned return date stated by our supreme leader. 

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

I'm not talking about a vaccine, but anti-viral drugs...like they have for HIV. But, yes, these things need testing properly...but some are pre-existing drugs that have already been through the various checks.

One being worked on in UK:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52111674

10 minutes ago, st dan said:

I don’t know if he meant treatments rather than vaccines, there are a number of different potential treatments like anti malaria drugs, and existing treatments for flu that people are experimenting with that might help to mitigate symptoms within people until the vaccine.

With regards to the vaccine as soon as China shared the genetic code where was a vaccine within a couple of hours, but getting it certified as safe for humans and then getting it to a point it can me manufactured and distributed in the hundreds of millions is the bit that takes the time. I’ve not doubt that if the time frame can be shortened it will be. I think the biggest problem will be much the same as we’re having with the tests right now, look at how long that has taken to get them in any decent number. The whole world needs them.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

economics will end this. The global economy can only stand this for so long. Eventually the need for people to earn money to feed themselves will outweigh the need to protect the vulnerable. 

A long time ago we decided it was acceptable for 250-500 thousand people to die every year from the flu, at some point we will decide what numbers are acceptable to die from covid 19 and then we will move on and life will return to normal.

im not saying this is a good thing, or something I would advocate, but I’m just being a realist.

if no cure is found, at some point the world will essentially abandon the vulnerable.

Much love all ... don’t forget we are all in this together so no suffering alone ... just been for my walk which does make me feel better ... but I’ve lived on my own for quite a bit so don’t miss the close company like some... but I even enjoyed my trip to work the other day to pick up shopping and was waving frantically at my manager trying to initiate conversation ... he was busy unfortunately.... 

Yet again. I’m right.

*sips tea and waits for those defending the Chinese government (for some reason) to come and get me*

I was right about lockdown and I was right about China.

the extent of lying coming out of the Chinese government right now is criminal. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yet again. I’m right.

*sips tea and waits for those defending the Chinese government (for some reason) to come and get me*

US intelligence?

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yet again. I’m right.

No one is disputing that china lied and is covering stuff up.

But all governments in the world are doing the same. And i dont think china did it on purpose, its just part of their govt set up.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yet again. I’m right.

Have you trumped us ? 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

No one is disputing that china lied and is covering stuff up.

But all governments in the world are doing the same. And i dont think china did it on purpose, its just part of their govt set up.

People are though. Go back through these forums and people are spurring utter bullshit that China got over the virus because the introduced stricter measures. They are not over this virus, and neither did they contain it faster. They lied about the extent that the virus spread throughout the country and how many people have died.

I don’t want this confused though. My concern is for the innocent Chinese people living under a lying evil government. 

Western governments are not doing anything near as bad as that. How can that link be made at all? Trump is a fool but he’s not hiding thousands and thousands of deaths and potentially millions of confirmed cases.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

People are though. Go back through these forums and people are spurring utter bullshit that China got over the virus because the introduced stricter measures. They are not over this virus, and neither did they contain it faster. They lied about the extent that the virus spread throughout the country and how many people have died.

I don’t want this confused though. My concern is for the innocent Chinese people living under a lying evil government. 

Western governments are not doing anything near as bad as that. How can that link be made at all? Trump is a fool but he’s not hiding thousands and thousands of deaths and potentially millions of confirmed cases.

Hmmm trump was downplaying it for months and is even now playing games as to what states get federal help.

A lot of the US anti Chinese stuff is very much them shifting the blame.

Lot of blame to go around and china certainly deserves a lot

Just now, zahidf said:

Hmmm trump was downplaying it for months and is even now playing games as to what states get federal help.

A lot of the US anti Chinese stuff is very much them shifting the blame.

Lot of blame to go around and china certainly deserves a lot

Every western politician was downplaying it. Downplaying isn’t the same as trying to conceal something from the rest of the world and silencing doctors trying to whistleblow what was going on. Li Wenliang was silenced for trying to alert the world about this virus and the Chinese government silenced him for “spreading rumours”. The CCP care more about the PR of their government than anything and people are afraid of them.

The west being slow to respond and China manipulating figures and facts are not the same and independent issues. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Every western politician was downplaying it. Downplaying isn’t the same as trying to conceal something from the rest of the world and silencing doctors trying to whistleblow what was going on. Li Wenliang was silenced for trying to alert the world about this virus and the Chinese government silenced him for “spreading rumours”. The CCP care more about the PR of their government than anything and people are afraid of them.

The west being slow to respond and China manipulating figures and facts are not the same and independent issues. 

Trump was doing more than downplay it. He took the pandemic warnings so seriously that he held a huge rally on March 2, where he said Democrats raising concerns about it were engaged in a hoax to hurt his numbers. Do you think this would have changed ?