When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

There is a whole new layer of inequality opening up in society because of this situation.

I was talking to someone this morning who bitterly regretted that they could not go on furlong, as their employer provided a critical service (non-medical but supporting equipment).  They were very negative, did a half-job and left early complaining the whole time about others they knew “sitting at home with free money” to paraphrase. 

I’m not suggesting this applies to you, but I can see how this will leave people with different feelings to the whole affair, and very bitter towards others they perceive to have “had it easier”.  Especially when the bill comes due to pay it all back (extra taxes for all etc).

Ripe for exploitation by politicians in the future too of course, as a nice distraction from the real issues.

im sat at home because of Type 1 diabetes .... so im not in the 1.5 million who have been told they need to stay off because of being very vulnerable ... I actually want to be at work helping people and supporting them but its just not sensible risking being that extra burden on the NHS ... ive had a few things ive picked up in the past infection wise , so its not wise working in a supermarket to be there and its against my nature .... sitting at home isn't quite the fun people make out ... well not for me without sport on tv and visits to the gym .... 

7 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I’m not bitter about still by going to work, it’s my choice to do the job that I do. It’s just frustrating seeing that we’ve had to take some drastic actions in our household so we can still continue to go to work and people are using it as a bit of an added holiday. Obviously you need to live your life, nobody is saying that you can’t leave your house under no circumstances but if you give people an inch they’ll take a mile and there is definitely some cases of that going on now. 

I don’t mean this as being offensive towards you or your job in any way shape or form, but what is wrong with these people that want to come in multiple times per day?

I don’t mind shopping in normal circumstances, but at the moment even now things are more orderly and have calmed down, I’d rather restrict my visits to the absolute best minimum, government advice or otherwise.

I know we’re all bored and would love a bit more freedom, but visiting a supermarket multiple times per day is not my idea of fun at the moment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im sat at home because of Type 1 diabetes .... so im not in the 1.5 million who have been told they need to stay off because of being very vulnerable ... I actually want to be at work helping people and supporting them but its just not sensible risking being that extra burden on the NHS ... ive had a few things ive picked up in the past infection wise , so its not wise working in a supermarket to be there and its against my nature .... sitting at home isn't quite the fun people make out ... well not for me without sport on tv and visits to the gym .... 

7 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I’m not bitter about still by going to work, it’s my choice to do the job that I do. It’s just frustrating seeing that we’ve had to take some drastic actions in our household so we can still continue to go to work and people are using it as a bit of an added holiday. Obviously you need to live your life, nobody is saying that you can’t leave your house under no circumstances but if you give people an inch they’ll take a mile and there is definitely some cases of that going on now. 

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A friend of mine works for a very large company who have furloughed half their staff, but they’re making all their wages up to the 100%. He is a very good at his job and hasn’t been furloughed, he doesn’t actually want to be because he said he’d go mad at home. It stands to reason that when companies are choosing staff to furlough in a lot of cases they’ll furlough the ‘worst’ ones. So at his company the worst performing staff are being paid 100% of their salary to not work for 3 months. Obviously after 3 months they might lose their job so there is that to consider, but it’s an interesting dynamic that up and down the country perhaps a lot of less deserving people are getting paid to not have to work.

I hope my comment wasn't taken as a specific comment against anyone. 

It was more of a general observation.  I know people who are desperate not to be told to go on furlong (because, as has been stated on here, they'd go mad) & others who want to rather badly.

Throw in the holiday situation and it's more challenging.  We've been told that those on furlong are not able to use holidays so can roll them over to the next two years, and this includes public holidays.  So Easter coming up for those on Furlong means another two days to use by the end of 2022 for them. 

Those working must use them this year or lose them.  So, someone on furlong until the end of May will have around 7 days to roll over to 2022 (accrued and bank holidays) whilst someone working gets to enjoy Easter & the two May Bank Holidays at home and has to use the accrued days by the end of 2020. 

It's little things like this that make the situation rather interesting in the application. 

2 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

It was more of a general observation.  I know people who are desperate not to be told to go on furlong (because, as has been stated on here, they'd go mad) & others who want to rather badly.

Throw in the holiday situation and it's more challenging.  We've been told that those on furlong are not able to use holidays so can roll them over to the next two years, and this includes public holidays.  So Easter coming up for those on Furlong means another two days to use by the end of 2022 for them. 

Those working must use them this year or lose them.  So, someone on furlong until the end of May will have around 7 days to roll over to 2022 (accrued and bank holidays) whilst someone working gets to enjoy Easter & the two May Bank Holidays at home and has to use the accrued days by the end of 2020. 

It's little things like this that make the situation rather interesting in the application. 

no offence taken on my part .. im still trying to work things out in my head  and maybe trying to justify them in my head too ... its a really tough decision on my part to be staying at home but I also know im no good to anyone in Hospital ... its hard at either end of it and fortunately it was my colleagues that were telling me to go home ... I worked on later than most 

The bassist Ted in the band Steamchicken (Those who go to Bearded Theory will more likely know this band) is very sadly going to pass away within 24 hours with Covid-19, his wife was informed this morning. A friend of mine lives in the same Warwickshire village as them.

Sadly, Ted has died of the virus. He was in music most of his life.

Edited by Avalon_Fields

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t mean this as being offensive towards you or your job in any way shape or form, but what is wrong with these people that want to come in multiple times per day?

I don’t mind shopping in normal circumstances, but at the moment even now things are more orderly and have calmed down, I’d rather restrict my visits to the absolute best minimum, government advice or otherwise.

I know we’re all bored and would love a bit more freedom, but visiting a supermarket multiple times per day is not my idea of fun at the moment.

Don’t know why I’d have been offended by that? Right now the more you leave your house and go to places where there are other people, the longer this will go on for. Fact. Therefore it’s frustrating seeing people go to a supermarket 4/5 times per day to buy a chocolate bar or a bottle of wine or something else that could have all been bought in one shopping trip. In regards to shopping government request is that you go out once per day for essentials. 

31 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

No offence was taken on my behalf mate, in regards to the holiday thing. We only have 1 member of staff currently off on 12 week Furlough, they have been told though that they need to use holidays and I think she had already taken 2 weeks holiday prior so she is being forced to take all of her holidays before she returns and the new work year has only just started. 

12 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The bassist Ted in the band Steamchicken (Those who go to Bearded Theory will more likely know this band) is very sadly going to pass away within 24 hours with Covid-19, his wife was informed this morning. A friend of mine lives in the same Warwickshire village as them.

How awful. 😔

We've been asked to take two weeks holiday whilst furloughed. That was before the rule about carrying them over though

Does make sense. A couple of weeks on full pay for those who might be struggling. Plus, a lot of our staff are seasonal, with contracts ending in September or October so it'd be impossible to fit holidays if we don't reopen until August as is the current plan

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Less deserving?

Yes, surely you read my post and understand the point I’m making?

Two staff that do the same role, as an employer who do you keep on and who do you furlough? The better performing one, who works harder, takes less sick days, is never late, etc etc etc, or...

Thats the dynamic I was describing 

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Number deaths up 563 to 2352.

I imagine public anger about tests and PPE for NHS staff going to start rising. Just got to hope and pray that infection rate slows in a week or two and NHS able top cope.

It's basically on a 2 week time lag? Gonna get worse before it gets better.

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, surely you read my post and understand the point I’m making?

Two staff that do the same role, as an employer who do you keep on and who do you furlough? The better performing one, who works harder, takes less sick days, is never late, etc etc etc, or...

Thats the dynamic I was describing 

Being furloughed isn't a holiday though, and I'd suppose that the harder working person is likely to feel that way more so. 

I'd honestly be more angry about this "less deserving" person when they were at work getting paid to do their job badly than when they've been stuck at home.

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's basically on a 2 week time lag? Gonna get worse before it gets better.

Significantly yes. But if the measures put in place work as they should we will see things plateau then decline...  fingers crosses that by the end of the month (im being optimistic).... 

Just now, Havors said:

Significantly yes. But if the measures put in place work as they should we will see things plateau then decline...  fingers crosses that by the end of the month (im being optimistic).... 

Worth noting that it's a smaller increase than from 2 days ago. Worth looking past absolute numbers.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Worth noting that it's a smaller increase than from 2 days ago. Worth looking past absolute numbers.

I believe they said that hospital admissions have shown signs of falling. It could take 14 days from infection to becoming critical, and then unfortunately somebody could be critical for some time and then still die.

Still sat here scratching my head at what potential exit strategies both the UK and the rest of the world are going to come up with - I just can’t see how it’s possible to avoid another surge in cases/deaths without keeping everybody in lockdown for 12-18 months waiting for a vaccine be hopefully be available, although this obviously is not going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Still sat here scratching my head at what potential exit strategies both the UK and the rest of the world are going to come up with - I just can’t see how it’s possible to avoid another surge in cases/deaths without keeping everybody in lockdown for 12-18 months waiting for a vaccine be hopefully be available, although this obviously is not going to happen. 

Same. My guess (and hope) is first of all use this period to get cases down to low levels, by then we should have enough of both types of test. Then relax the current measures but with a number of social distancing measures in place, for example I like the measures Sweden are taking in pubs and bars etc. At the same time having enough tests will enable us to adopt an aggressive contact tracing strategy which should hopefully help us delay the next spike for as long as possible, then rinse and repeat probably.

I'm classed as a key worker so still going to work. What I'm finding the hardest is I cant see my boyfriend or my family but still seeing people at work (and to be honest a lot of them have poor personal hygiene at the best of times so I'm not 100% convinced they are all taking the extra precautions..) so I'm really struggling with it. We aren't allowed to work from home.

I know I don't have a choice and I have to do it for as long as necessary but mentally I don't know how much longer I can cope with it for if it's going to continue much more than the  initial '3 week lockdown' its really, really lonely :( 

1 minute ago, Wellyboot said:

I'm classed as a key worker so still going to work. What I'm finding the hardest is I cant see my boyfriend or my family but still seeing people at work (and to be honest a lot of them have poor personal hygiene at the best of times so I'm not 100% convinced they are all taking the extra precautions..) so I'm really struggling with it. We aren't allowed to work from home.

I know I don't have a choice and I have to do it for as long as necessary but mentally I don't know how much longer I can cope with it for if it's going to continue much more than the  initial '3 week lockdown' its really, really lonely :( 

Aye, I'm with you on this. I live by myself and I'm working from home so I've had zero human interaction (other than people serving me in the shop every few days or smiling at me during a run) for 14 days already. It's fine for now, and actually, I've been keeping pretty busy with Skype calls and stuff, but if it goes on for months, I will legit lose the plot. 

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

Seems a lot of hope being put on the forthcoming NHS App, which will notify the user when they have been in close proximity to anyone who is a known Covid-19 case, which will then prompt them to self-isolate. It's not going to be mandatory but if decent numbers take it up it is expected to help greatly.

Otherwise, it's down, whether we like it or not, to herd immunity, with the likelihood there's already many more who have/had the virus this will build in time to be as good a protection as any.

Also worth noting, again for perspective, the actual number of those who died in the UK of all causes is actually DOWN so far this year on the usual rate for the time of year, so it isn't (yet) as cataclysmic as it seems to be.