When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The lawyers are pretty clear that the law does not prevent you from travelling in order to exercise. That comes from the guidance and the spin the police have put on it. Eg 

These are unprecedented times, I’m not sure the letter of the law is in the spirit of things on this occasion. Snowden is a remote scenic spot but people still flocked there in their droves. If people are openly allowed to travel there is a greater chance they all choose to travel to the same places, as was the case before the measures became official. Limiting people’s movement to as close to their homes as possible is entirely sensible on my opinion.

Apologies if the point you were trying to make was that people can actually travel to these remote spots, hence why they need to be closed.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

I hope they continue to do this and good luck to them. There are too many idiots out there risking other people’s lives through their ignorance and selfishness. The beaches have been busy and the car parks indicate that a proportion of these visitors are people specifically travelling to visit. 

Yeah that’s a cool opinion - and undoubtedly some of it true - unless you live there and now can’t do anything. While fucking Asda is open stopping people going to remote empty car parks is ludicrous 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

These are unprecedented times, I’m not sure the letter of the law is in the spirit of things on this occasion. Snowden is a remote scenic spot but people still flocked there in their droves. If people are openly allowed to travel there is a greater chance they all choose to travel to the same places, as was the case before the measures became official. Limiting people’s movement to as close to their homes as possible is entirely sensible on my opinion.

Snowdon is a poor example because it’s especially famous. Would be interesting to see how many were at far less famous Snowdonia sites. And people were operating under the advice that getting into the countryside was a good thing - NT and others were marketing their places on this assumption. So it’s wrong to imply people were flouting a rule

Edited by whitehorses

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

Yeah that’s a cool opinion - and undoubtedly some of it true - unless you live there and now can’t do anything. While fucking Asda is open stopping people going to remote empty car parks is ludicrous 

I do live there. I go for a walk along the road instead. Asda is providing an important service and I accept it is a weak link, but a vital link in many other ways.

Snowdon is a poor example because it’s especially famous. Would be interesting to see how many were at far less famous Snowdonia sites. And people were operating under the advice that getting into the countryside was a good thing - NT and others were marketing their places on this assumption. So it’s wrong to imply people were flouting a rule

Snowdon is one example, the most local one to me (5 minute drive) is another, something tells me Snowdon isn’t unique.

I normally walk my dogs at virgina water lake, they had to shut it down themselves before Boris acted because it was absolutely mobbed last weekend.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Snowdon is one example, the most local one to me (5 minute drive) is another, something tells me Snowdon isn’t unique.

I normally walk my dogs at virgina water lake, they had to shut it down themselves before Boris acted because it was absolutely mobbed last weekend.

Can imagine. Funny old times. Do you still think most of us have had it, or has your opinion changed? 

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I’m bravely staying at home 💪

Anyway, don’t you think ‘most’ of us have had it already? Therefore what’s the big deal? 

I don’t believe anything until tests prove it or otherwise. I certainly believe a lot more of us have had than we realise, but that’s irrelevant to this conversation.

You’re not separate to the rest of the population, what you want to do isn’t unique to everybody else. Opening up certain spots will attract people to them which is what the government are trying to avoid. You’re just going to have to suck it up like the rest of us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t believe anything until tests prove it or otherwise. I certainly believe a lot more of us have had than we realise, but that’s irrelevant to this conversation.

You’re not separate to the rest of the population, what you want to do isn’t unique to everybody else. Opening up certain spots will attract people to them which is what the government are trying to avoid. You’re just going to have to suck it up like the rest of us.

I think you’re reading my replies wrongly.

I completely agree that our freedoms should be curtailed. I am ‘sucking it up’ as you put it and managing to do so without sounding smug to people trying to be friendly to them on the internet. At least I’m aiming to sound friendly. 

The specific freedom, and the point I first made, I hope comes back soonest is the the getting outside one. If it doesn’t well then Corona will be the least of our worries; we will have a mental health - and other - apocalypse that will haunt the next decade. 

Edit: But yes, fundamentally I do think police spying on people walking remote moors and beaches is wrong. Medically, socially, and liberally it makes no sense. The discincttion between that and your local busy park is maybe too complicated for them to make so perhaps you’re right, they have no choice. 

Edited by whitehorses

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Absolutely! All of our lives have changed beyond recognition and will continue to do so. And the only way we can really make a change is collectively.

Like it or lump it we are all in this together! We’ve all been allowed to lead pretty selfish lives and that has now got to change quite dramatically. 

I think you’re reading my replies wrongly.

I completely agree that our freedoms should be curtailed. I am ‘sucking it up’ as you put it and managing to do so without sounding smug to people trying to be friendly to them on the internet. At least I’m aiming to sound friendly. 

The specific freedom, and the point I first made, I hope comes back soonest is the the getting outside one. If it doesn’t well then Corona will be the least of our worries; we will have a mental health - and other - apocalypse that will haunt the next decade. 

Apologies if I have misinterpreted the point you  have been trying to make. It seemed to me like you were complaining that certain local spots to you such as beaches were closed.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Apologies if I have misinterpreted the point you  have been trying to make. It seemed to me like you were complaining that certain local spots to you such as beaches were closed.

I am complaining, see above, but I understand why 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's encouraging that we're already seeing slowdown in the UK despite only having really been at this properly for a week, but having said that, I was already starting to social distance significantly for another week, perhaps we're seeing an effect from other people doing the same from two weeks ago.

Yup. As he said, people were already self applying social distancing before the lockdown.

Still early but fingers crossed 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nah he addresses this

But his figures still seem to pretty much support it? I’m inclined to agree that the figure will be higher anyway, because unless these measures stay in place until the vaccine Is here then cases will spike again in the future. But during this particular period of social distancing, if his data on case numbers falling is accurate and continues, then we’re definitely on track to peak at not more than 330 cases per day in about a week or so, and for total deaths to be around 7k or less.