When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Wonder if the uk will follow suit?

I think there's a decent chance.

I'd say the tide had already turned - if only a little - before the c-19 crisis, with the restoration of bursaries for training (even if the amount is still shit).

And it's worth pointing out that the tories spent more on the NHS since 2017 than Labour promised to do in their 2017 manifesto. Perhaps not in the same way as Labour would have done, but it's still a change in attitudes from the tories.

And the tories are politically-smart enough to know where public opinion is; it's not by chance that Johnson is talking about "our" NHS .... and while I find that a bit sickening, we'll only ever get the decent NHS we want if the tories are able to accurately claim themselves as a party which supports the NHS.  

41 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Wonder if the uk will follow suit?

surely there will need to be a lot of fundamental changes, how we fund our health services, how we fund social care, benefits and rights for low paid workers, self employed and gig economy workers.

At same time could be the end of globalisation, EU, free movement etc.

Or, things will just go back to how they were...a bit of a mess.

Not linked to the NHS being better funded which is a separate issue, but after this is over NHS staff will be like NY firefighters after 9/11. They’ll be treated like hero’s wherever they go, it will be great publicity (not why they should be doing it, or or in most cases why they will be doing it but the fact applies) for organisations to offer free stuff to NHS workers, they probably won’t need to buy a drink in a pub again. I’d imagine there will be a huge amount of charitable initiatives and fundraising as well.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

And it's worth pointing out that the tories spent more on the NHS since 2017 than Labour promised to do in their 2017 manifesto. Perhaps not in the same way as Labour would have done, but it's still a change in attitudes from the tories.

Wow didn’t know that and i saw multiple NHS staff saying clapping is great but please vote for a party who will fund us properly.

Not quite sure why it’s taken a pandemic for the general public to recognise and appreciate the amazing work the NHS does 24/7, 365 days a year - but I’m glad it’s happened. Now maybe they’ll get the pay they deserve and grants will be reintroduced. 

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

At the very least this should kill off the talks of moving to a private based health care system which seem to have been on the rise the last few years.

Completely agree and especially if what most seem to be sadly predicting is going to happen to the US comes to fruition

5 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Completely agree and especially if what most seem to be sadly predicting is going to happen to the US comes to fruition

Seems like us and America are doubling down on our different approaches to healthcare, be interesting to see how it affects trade talks. They're in the driving seat but it feels like now more than ever we, as a country, are more protective over our NHS than ever. Fuck knows how we're gonna blend any type of agreement with USA and increased NHS funding. Conversation for a much later day though.

3 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

That is a very wooly statement. 

Did I miss the efests day when everyone decided we were gonna start using this word? I have no idea what it means or the context behind it but it's seen a 937% rise in posts over the last week ahah.

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Did I miss the efests day when everyone decided we were gonna start using this word? I have no idea what it means or the context behind it but it's seen a 937% rise in posts over the last week ahah.

That’s a very wooly estimate on the increase right there.