When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

So is the general thinking that the current measures may be loosened in a month or 2, but then tightened again coming into winter around October time?

Maybe...to be honest I don't think anyone knows for sure...but that is one of the possibilities. Just have to see how it plays out in other countries who are ahead of us. You would hope by next winter we will be better prepared, and also that there would be more natural immunity in the population.

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

So is the general thinking that the current measures may be loosened in a month or 2, but then tightened again coming into winter around October time?

Yup. I personally reckon based on my two posts above that it may be the case that social distancing may have worked and that the end of restrictions may be a little sooner

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

quite possible - but the devil is in the detail. How much is loosened? 

Fair point. I guess a return to some sort of normality - bars open, shops trading etc. I still think pretty much all festivals will be cancelled this summer. The ones pushed back to September may be ok but who knows.

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Over in Aus, the PM has said Australians should expect the measures to be in place for at least six months. That said, he's dicked around with the restrictions to the point where you're not supposed to be out of the house for any but essential purposes, but hairdressers and schools are open. It's a bit of a nonsense. Most people seem to be of the opinion that he should crack down as hard as possible for as short a time as possible. These half-measures aren't tallying up with the ambition to cut it out asap.

55 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Immediately lost all respect for you.

Just kidding, your posts are brilliant, TD. Great to have detailed, informed opinion here.

😂 I don't even particularly like The Killers! It's just one of those ubiquitous tunes, but useful for washing your hands. I'll forever associate it with a pandemic now, so will probably finally kill off the killers for me! (to be fair, I did enjoy them in the John Peel a few years back (2017?)...I think I commented at the time that I obviously like my Killers shows in 2004/2005 mode, over in less than an hour and no fillers!). 

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

found it. :) 

https://www.fagain.co.uk/node/60

It's about the 'Genomic epidemiology of novel coronavirus'.

(will have another read of it now).

Thanks! Can't say I'm completely following his analysis here. It's probably my lack of knowledge in this area. Although my confidence in this particular blog isn't helped by looking at his previous article, which seems to claim Kim Jong Un is secretly wearing an oxygen mask that is indistinguishable from his own face. (https://www.fagain.co.uk/node/59)

6 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s an interesting analysis Neil, the sequencing data is fine, the phylogenetic tree looks ok too (also shows us the virus is reasonably stable, like most Coronaviruses)...in terms of who patient zero is in Europe though, this is the key disclaimer...”Although the genetic relationships among sampled viruses are quite clear, there is considerable uncertainty surrounding estimates of transmission dates and in reconstruction of geographic spread. Please be aware that specific inferred transmission patterns are only a hypothesis”

Thanks, I think that explains it then.