When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

funny how he got to the front of the queue for testing even tho he's not in hospital, eh? 

yep ... see further on ... would have thought the royals will all be being tested regularly :( I guess like the sports people we see regularly getting diagnosed with the virus 

26 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not understanding the shops policies of reducing people inside. 

Popped out to buy some food and instead of people being dispersed inside the store they are now in a big queue outside squashed together while waiting to go in. 

I guess it’s a learning process for the shops trying to maintain some kind of order and learning on the go ... with dwindling numbers of people ... that said some kind of common sense should prevail from customers  but is seriously lacking at the moment 

Just went to the local Sainsburys and it was a dream. As an introvert who values personal space, it was MUCH better than normal 😂 Even managed to get a big bag of tagliatelle. Shout out to Sainsburys staff in Loughborough they were doing an ace job, as I'm sure is the case all over.

31 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not understanding the shops policies of reducing people inside. 

Popped out to buy some food and instead of people being dispersed inside the store they are now in a big queue outside squashed together while waiting to go in. 

They should be controlling the queue as well! All the shops around me have marks/signs in the queue at 2m apart for where you should stand to maintain social distancing (a trolley length between people works ok as well). They have someone at the top of the queue with hand-sanitiser, they sanitise the trolley/basket before you take it and give you a pair of gloves. Once the limit of people in the shop is reached, it's one in, one out. Haven't actually been into the shop this week as click and collect slots opened up, so just doing that now, but this is the way is was last week (in Ireland). Its not difficult, just takes a bit of enforcing (I thought the British loved a good queue? 😜)

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thanks TD, I was just finishing up a home workout in the garden in this glorious sunshine when I noticed you replied, so finished up to read your response properly. I was going to tag you in the study to get your views anyway, so thank you for commenting. Extremely useful and insightful as always, it seems there is hope that we can both tackle the virus and avoid indefinite lockdown as well, with the key being the ability for widespread testing.

No worries! enjoy that sunshine!

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

😮

Were they not saying it was to do with people travelling back to the area with it. Obviously things change rabidly but will be interesting to see what happens there. The fear is that it just starts all over again of course

17 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I’m absolutely no expert, but there a few on here that night be able to add their opinion about this. People have talked about there being two different strains etc, but I think things like this, a really young person dying must be to do with the fact that it’s a new virus and hence people’s immune systems react differently to it. How can some people in their 60s get next to no symptoms and then it kills a 21 year old? The talk of it being largely symptomless in as much as 86% of people and deadly in others. This is where I have no idea what I’m talking about, but aren’t allergic reactions just a complete overreaction by the bodies immune system the first time it encounters something? Or a miss-diagnosis? So because none of us have encountered it before some immune systems shrug it off without us even knowing, and for some they have no clue how to deal with it and it’s deadly.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m absolutely no expert, but there a few on here that night be able to add their opinion about this. People have talked about there being two different strains etc, but I think things like this, a really young person dying must be to do with the fact that it’s a new virus and hence people’s immune systems react differently to it. How can some people in their 60s get next to no symptoms and then it kills a 21 year old? The talk of it being largely symptomless in as much as 86% of people and deadly in others. This is where I have no idea what I’m talking about, but aren’t allergic reactions just a complete overreaction by the bodies immune system the first time it encounters something? Or a miss-diagnosis? So because none of us have encountered it before some immune systems shrug it off without us even knowing, and for some they have no clue how to deal with it and it’s deadly.

I think one of the issues with stories like this is that everyone who dies in hospital (at least in a hospital where a good friend works) is being tested for it. It may not have been the cause of death but they tested positive. Almost the opposite to the lack of testing not showing the full extent of the spread. Obviously doesn't make the story (or any loss) any less sad but just something to be aware of.  

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Pathogen-host interactions are a two way street. Up to now, the focus has been on underlying conditions and how they lead to increased risk (as well as characteristics of the virus itself). But how our bodies react to the new infection determines what kind symptoms we get and whether we effectively clear the infection. Our immune response plays a key role in this (young people dying from H5N1 flu as a result of cytokine storms was an example of this and it was also seen with SARS and MERS, while immunosuppressed individuals are at increased risk of all infections...so over- and under-activity of the immune system essentially doesn't help). As you suggest, its entirely probable that variations in individual immune responses will impact on outcome. There are also a whole host of underlying genetic factors that could play a role (for example, the virus uses the ACE-2 receptor to enter our cells....variation in the amount of the receptor would make it easier or harder for the virus to enter cells). Underlying conditions may also be sub-clinical in younger patients, so missed entirely.  Really, there could be a vast number of reasons to explain variations in response (hence truly personalised medicine is still while away!). For patients with underlying conditions, its easier to explain why the infection progresses the way it does. It would be entirely speculative to suggest reasons at this stage for rarer cases, safe to say that we know a bit about this virus, but nowhere near enough. The two different strains suggestion doesn't hold a lot of water at the moment (it was a limited study with 103 samples and they jumped to some pretty wild conclusion without any real evidence...it could be true, but their paper didn't prove it one way or another, to be honest, if I'd reviewed their paper I would have made them remove the claim that one strain was more "aggressive" than the other). 

• Upvote 4