When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Do you have a bible?

Pages from the bible, dabbed with a Pritt Stick glue type thing to create your own rolling paper? That would make the bible something useful.

As an aside - At my last house, me and my wife used to have outside fires almost every night. As we had been given loads of tatty old books, we started off ripping the pages out of one book to create the fires, so that the kindling would burn. It was about half way through this book that my wife said ' What is this book anyway'. She then looked at it, and informed me what book it was. It was only the Koran!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Pages from the bible, dabbed with a Pritt Stick glue type thing to create your own rolling paper? That would make the bible something useful.

As an aside - At my last house, me and my wife used to have outside fires almost every night. As we had been given loads of tatty old books, we started off ripping the pages out of one book to create the fires, so that the kindling would burn. It was about half way through this book that my wife said ' What is this book anyway'. She then looked at it, and informed me what book it was. It was only the Koran!

Yog this is all your fault....

Bibles are sometimes printed on paper made from hemp; for a properly meta spliff.

2 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

They absolutely do.

A friend from my last job has been preaching all of the "stay at home" stuff, saying all the right things, but there is no way in hell she isn't going to be visiting her Mum and sisters. They all got together for mother's day at the weekend.

There's nuance here though that the new rules don't account for (and shouldn't, because people aren't sensible enough as a whole). But if your friend and her mum and her sisters are all staying at home all day, then it's not actually a problem for them to travel by car to one of their houses and meet up. We've been isolating since Monday anyway, working from home, only going out to get groceries, and avoiding contact with anyone. We have a couple of friends who have done the same, and it was safe to have them over.

People flaunting the rules as of today is likely going to be down to Johnson. Elect someone that everyone agrees tells lies (even those who voted for him) and have him say stuff now that's completely contradictory to what he said two weeks ago, without actually going "yeah, I was wrong then"... he might be PM but he doesn't actually have any authority. I mean, people liked him because he was a bit silly and goofy. He's not the guy you listen to in a national crisis.

1 hour ago, dizzymoo said:

Yog this is all your fault....

Bibles are sometimes printed on paper made from hemp; for a properly meta spliff.

Hello dizzymoo,

You're right, it is all my fault. If only I hadn't eaten that pangolin, that one time.

I like the idea of creating a nice smoke from some hemp paper which has utter tosh written on it. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

I do worry that trumps shitty '15 days and then the economy is more important ' will eventually lead to other countries taking a similar attitude.

isn't a big part of that a threat against congress that keeps blocking his bail-out plans? I could be wrong but that's how I'm seeing it.

41 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There's nuance here though that the new rules don't account for (and shouldn't, because people aren't sensible enough as a whole). But if your friend and her mum and her sisters are all staying at home all day, then it's not actually a problem for them to travel by car to one of their houses and meet up. We've been isolating since Monday anyway, working from home, only going out to get groceries, and avoiding contact with anyone. We have a couple of friends who have done the same, and it was safe to have them over.

People flaunting the rules as of today is likely going to be down to Johnson. Elect someone that everyone agrees tells lies (even those who voted for him) and have him say stuff now that's completely contradictory to what he said two weeks ago, without actually going "yeah, I was wrong then"... he might be PM but he doesn't actually have any authority. I mean, people liked him because he was a bit silly and goofy. He's not the guy you listen to in a national crisis.

I thought we weren't supposed to be mixing with anyone outside our household? Your friends might be only going to the shop like you, but it could be a different shop to the one you go to. So you could get it from them and spread there, for example.

We don't have any friends or family in walking distance, so it hasn't even been on the cards for us. Since last week we've only been to the shop or for a walk so this hasn't made much difference since yesterday. Going to try to reduce our shop visits a bit more, which will be easier if we can actually get what we need. So far it's been very hit and miss.

Difficulty for me is that I have been going for the odd walk (maybe not every day, but most days) but it is very hard in London to avoid people completely. There's just too many of them! 

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

isn't a big part of that a threat against congress that keeps blocking his bail-out plans? I could be wrong but that's how I'm seeing it.

Probably. Congress dont want to give him the power to bail out the trump tower businesses...

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I feel for anyone who thinks this will only go on for 12 weeks

I don’t think anybody expects it all to be over and the virus to have disappeared in 12 weeks, but people have shown they struggle to stay in and follow the rules for 12 hours. Whatever is happening with the virus in 12 weeks it’s difficult to imagine this situation going beyond that point. In terms of normally holidays abroad I struggle with two week holidays now, it’s too long and I get bored, and that’s a holiday. It’s beyond this nations capability to keep this up for 12 weeks.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

50 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I thought we weren't supposed to be mixing with anyone outside our household? Your friends might be only going to the shop like you, but it could be a different shop to the one you go to. So you could get it from them and spread there, for example.

Exactly. I haven't interpreted the rules as "i'm doing a good enough job of self-isolating so I can go over to someone's house" . Even going to the shop you could get it, and not know.

If I thought I just had to stay inside for three weeks with only trips to the shop, and then I'd have a free pass to drive home to Plymouth to see my parents, I'd be perfectly happy right now - but that's not how I've interpreted the rules.

The government have explicitly said you should not be visiting any other households.

7 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Exactly. I haven't interpreted the rules as "i'm doing a good enough job of self-isolating so I can go over to someone's house" . Even going to the shop you could get it, and not know.

If I thought I just had to stay inside for three weeks with only trips to the shop, and then I'd have a free pass to drive home to Plymouth to see my parents, I'd be perfectly happy right now - but that's not how I've interpreted the rules.

The government have explicitly said you should not be visiting any other households.

That's what I thought too. But did the restriction on that only come in last night? Or was that implied last week too? 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's what I thought too. But did the restriction on that only come in last night? Or was that implied last week too? 

This is where the muddiness comes in, there is no "restriction" because the visiting people at home thing isn't something they said they could police. It falls back under the "advice" column of what they're telling the public to do/not do, which makes sense because they can't know what is going on in everyone's homes.

The literal 'restrictions' (which will incur fines) are the gatherings in public of more than two people not from the same household. I suppose fines could be given if someone called the police to tell them a party was happening next door...

There’s so many people just carrying on as usual I can’t deal.

I haven’t left the house in a number of days but the amount of people I can hear about on the street is crazy. Apparently local parks were packed as ever today.

There are kids playing out on the street exactly as I’m typing this right now. The government will be forced to get the military in soon because people don’t understand what this all means.

I'm in India at the mo, they just announced a 21 day lockdown starting at midnight by saying nobody can step outside their homes. Then they wondered why there were massive crowds of people flooding the food shops!

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There’s so many people just carrying on as usual I can’t deal.

I haven’t left the house in a number of days but the amount of people I can hear about on the street is crazy. Apparently local parks were packed as ever today.

There are kids playing out on the street exactly as I’m typing this right now. The government will be forced to get the military in soon because people don’t understand what this all means.

So if nobody is at work and if everybody is only going out once a day for a walk/run/cycle as advised then in a residential area it will seem busier than usual as normally most people are at work/school not going out for a walk. I'm not saying that some people aren't ignoring the instructions but if people are following them you'd still expect it to be busier than normal in a residential area, albeit with household groups staying 2m apart.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

No one knows. If there is a control on infections and say no deaths, then people wont agree to be in lockdown for much longer after that 

I feel the coming death numbers (we're still more or less on Italy's course) will scare more into compliance for longer. 

perhaps a strong and public flexing of the new detention powers will help too

Apparently all the beaches near me were packed again this morning. It's a joke. What part of this aren't people getting. All we have to do is stay at home. It's really not difficult. Or so it would seem. I guess these people can't see that by them going out is just prolonging this further and further.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

If we actually enforced a lockdown we could start getting back to normal in a few weeks. China had bars starting to re-open after a month: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/chinese-life-slowly-gets-back-to-normal-as-the-epidemic-subsides-coronavirus

The differences on how they dealt with it where glarring, they shut everything down with an iron fist, tracing and putting anyone sick into designated quarantine - whilst they are starting to relax the rules the country has been in shut down since end Jan and you still can't move between provinces (think Yorkshire to Midlands)..

Given we have so many dumb selfish people that don't think rules apply to them, this will go on for longer than it should... I'd say it will be 6 weeks shut down minimum then slow release very gradually after that, nothing is gonna be normal this year IMO

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

The differences on how they dealt with it where glarring, they shut everything down with an iron fist, tracing and putting anyone sick into designated quarantine - whilst they are starting to relax the rules the country has been in shut down since end Jan and you still can't move between provinces (think Yorkshire to Midlands)..

Given we have so many dumb selfish people that don't think rules apply to them, this will go on for longer than it should... I'd say it will be 6 weeks shut down minimum then slow release very gradually after that, nothing is gonna be normal this year IMO

I''d hate to be thrown into quarantine at the slightest sign of illness (where you're more likely to catch it if you just have a normal cold) like China did to people but to be honest that might be the only way we can deal with this if people don't sort themselves out. If nobody quarantines themselves then everyone who gets ill could eventually end up being forcibly quarantined. That or an India style not leaving the house for 14-21 days. All followed by closing the borders. 

But as a country we don't have the stomach for it so like you say China isn't a good comparison. Their temperature is being tracked by QR code - I can only imagine what happens if it seems elevated....  

Don't know how any of that would work in this country, but we can't carry on with half measures as we are, and no government will allow the economy to crash as badly as ours would if this all went on for more than a couple of months. It'll also allow Russia and China to get an economic advantage in the world, which I don't care about but I know the US/UK leaders won't want to happen. 

No good solutions here

Edited by efcfanwirral