When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Thing is all of those were local and not pandemics. A potential pandemic is easier to identity due to the infectiousness.

The early hysteria was because people realised how infectious this virus was. I don’t think most people were concerned about the death rate but more so the easiness of catching it.

Because you could only catch it off people showing symptoms. By it’s a nature it didn’t have the capacity to spread as quickly as this.

We now appear to be back to page two of the original 190 page 'Will Glastonbury be cancelled by Coronavirus?' thread.;(

14 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I despair at the stupidity of some people. My girlfriend had to drive to work today - her route was busier than it's been for a number of weeks. There are people (a lot from what she saw on her way to work) still going out.

A friend of my girlfriend sent a group text last night asking if anyone wanted to start a running club. 20 minutes after Boris' speech. They all declined which was good to see. The worst part? This person who suggested the running club is a police officer!!

I just cannot get my head around why they don't stay in. The longer people ignore the rules in place the longer all of this will last. Why is that so hard to understand!?

I’m starting to wonder if many people don’t understand the meaning of essential travel. I reckon some people consider visiting family and friends as essential travel.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m starting to wonder if many people don’t understand the meaning of essential travel. I reckon some people consider visiting family and friends as essential travel.

They absolutely do.

A friend from my last job has been preaching all of the "stay at home" stuff, saying all the right things, but there is no way in hell she isn't going to be visiting her Mum and sisters. They all got together for mother's day at the weekend.

15 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

They absolutely do.

A friend from my last job has been preaching all of the "stay at home" stuff, saying all the right things, but there is no way in hell she isn't going to be visiting her Mum and sisters. They all got together for mother's day at the weekend.

Obviously if members of your family are very vulnerable the government does allow reasonable visits.

However some people aren’t enjoying the fact that you technically can no longer visit your mates which may only live down the street.

unfortunately the c***ts will remain just that  until a stronger crackdown ..which im sure is coming .... a local store had a home shopping van stolen last night and it was found today burnt out :(   ffs how many old and vulnerable could that have delivered to ? !! ... 

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

From what I understand SARS was debilitating a lot more quickly and hence was not that efficient at spreading. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Thing is all of those were local and not pandemics. A potential pandemic is easier to identity due to the infectiousness.

The early hysteria was because people realised how infectious this virus was. I don’t think most people were concerned about the death rate but more so the easiness of catching it.

Because you could only catch it off people showing symptoms. By it’s a nature it didn’t have the capacity to spread as quickly as this.

That does make more sense. I'm aware that a lot of people made clear that Ebola wasn't the easiest of things to contract unless you were unfortunate to be in close proximity to somebody who has it, so it does sound like a similar thing.

Certainly, all the talk of asymptomatic carriers is enough to justify the fear. If it was something that was fast acting and had way more visible symptoms, then maybe that would've been the cue for these measures to be enacted sooner. But such is the viral compound, clearly.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

The big Japanese guys NJPW have enough money to stay closed. The smaller guys dont. I suspect the same thing happens here in a few months...

I imagine that'll be the case in European football - big clubs can just stomach a pause in the football calendar, but little clubs can't. There's enough fear that starving clubs below Championship level (and even smaller ones there) of matchday crowd income and what little broadcast money they get is going to destroy them as a few were already vulnerable. Indeed, one football journalist suggested it might lead towards the consolidation of all English football into just the Premier League if it continues to be so bad.

But on a health ground, none of these can really be rushed.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

I despair at the stupidity of some people. My girlfriend had to drive to work today - her route was busier than it's been for a number of weeks. There are people (a lot from what she saw on her way to work) still going out.

A friend of my girlfriend sent a group text last night asking if anyone wanted to start a running club. 20 minutes after Boris' speech. They all declined which was good to see. The worst part? This person who suggested the running club is a police officer!!

I just cannot get my head around why they don't stay in. The longer people ignore the rules in place the longer all of this will last. Why is that so hard to understand!?

Running clubs are obviously daft, but we aren't under house arrest.  The rules explicitly state you are allowed out for some exercise.  I'm still going out once a day to places where there are no / very few people.

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Have a listen to that. This is what we’re up against 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Her husband has had a stroke and her friend is 78! As thick as mince.

This is what happens when you create an atmosphere where fake news is spread and experts are vilified. 

23 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Her husband has had a stroke and her friend is 78! As thick as mince.

This is what happens when you create an atmosphere where fake news is spread and experts are vilified. 

This is why I get a wee bit vexed when people position it as "young people are stupid and just need to stay at home".  Age is no barrier to stupidity.

58 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Certainly, all the talk of asymptomatic carriers is enough to justify the fear. 

Well yes, that’s exactly it. It’s much easier to control a virus where everyone shows the symptoms. That’s why this has lead to what it is. Because it’s extremely difficult to control and it’s dangerous if the wrong sort of people are exposed.

This is not fear mongering, it’s only reporting the facts. Some recent U.K. deaths have been old people who have extremely restricted movement as it is anyway. How is the virus getting to some old people who don’t really do that much in terms of movement anyway? Because there must be so many undiagnosed cases out there that it is vital at this moment to social distance. In the most non hyperbolic way the only way through this is treating absolutely everybody as if they are infected.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well yes, that’s exactly it. It’s much easier to control a virus where everyone shows the symptoms. That’s why this has lead to what it is. Because it’s extremely difficult to control and it’s dangerous if the wrong sort of people are exposed.

This is not fear mongering, it’s only reporting the facts. Some recent U.K. deaths have been old people who have extremely restricted movement as it is anyway. How is the virus getting to some old people who don’t really do that much in terms of movement anyway? Because there must be so many undiagnosed cases out there that it is vital at this moment to social distance. In the most non hyperbolic way the only way through this is treating absolutely everybody as if they are infected.

Yup but there is a limit to how many people will go along with it. I suspect 12 weeks is seen as the limit for people and society which is baked in

14 hours ago, Suprefan said:

In Los Angeles landscapers are considered essential. Somebody has to make sure that a tree is trimmed for example and that a branch wont break off and fall on a person. Then you involve yourself with a personal injury lawsuit against a municipality or a property owner as to why this wasnt monitored. How about leaves piling up everywhere? They can dry out and then be set on fire. But you say let it be due to a landscaper not being essential.  Lets make garbage men not essential either because you think keeping things clean isnt a priority right now since everyone will just be staying home.

Apologies, never intended to offend anyone or otherwise, it was more what the government will be doing to support self employed etc; must widen my blinkers 😎👍🍺

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup but there is a limit to how many people will go along with it. I suspect 12 weeks is seen as the limit for people and society which is baked in

I feel for anyone who thinks this will only go on for 12 weeks

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In the most non hyperbolic way the only way through this is treating absolutely everybody as if they are infected.

The flipside is that everyone should behave as if they've already got it and are doing everything possible not to transmit it further.