When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I'm currently working at home for an events-based business having to cancel every event we have under the sun, fretting every day for my job, or even the existence of our business once this is all over. At the same time I have to look out for my Dad, who was alerted today that due to his serious respiratory issues is in the 1.5m to receive NHS letters instructing of no movement outside of the house for 12 weeks, and a Mum who has been diagnosed clinically depressed. My bosses are great, but everything is a stress right now, everything is moving at 100mph, and all feels like I'm taking a bit of a mental battering. 

I'm sure this is a story familiar to others around here - this is the toughest of times for so many of us, and I've been avoiding the forum over the past week or so out of sheer sadness really to have lost that week in June to look forward to. I guess, I'm not sure what my motive is in posting all this - but I know from my experience this is a place of like-minded folk looking out for one another, and somewhere I thought I could poke my head above the parapet and spot others in similarly tricky predicaments. Look out for eachother, look out for yourselves and your families, and for f*ck sake, STAY AT HOME.  

Edited by Brownie30
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You were just an example. Although you seemed the most alarmed, there were plenty of people saying it was going to be bad, and I think because the scale of it seemed so hard to get round, plus the counter-intuitive nature of exponential growth simply laying out what was going to happen seems hysterical, when it was actually pretty grounded.

At least I haven't seen anyone try to compare the absolute numbers of seasonal growth with a pandemic in its very early days recently.

I struggled with the "seeming hysterical" thing a lot. I was watching this since January and its caused quite a lot of stress seeing it coming like a slow moving train crash. I spent my 4 weeks skiing in France (came back 2 weeks ago) checking the news and thinking "why am I here?" Because I knew what was coming but had carried on as normal anyway just to not be seen as hysterical. I had alternative flights saved and ready to book quickly after the Italy madness started. 

Was my girlfriends' dream trip so I'm happy she got to do it (could do with the crazy amount of money spent back now like..) but we got back by the skin of our teeth. Which I'd said we would before we went and was practically laughed at by my parents. 

Luckily been back 16 days now without illness. Also I'm living with my parents which was a huge worry (gave them the option for us to go elsewhere but they convinced me otherwise, I still think wrongly and I shouldve been firmer) but looking back it was just all an extremely reckless thing to do.

A lesson has been learnt about trusting instincts and not worrying about what others think 

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I struggled with the "seeming hysterical" thing a lot. I was watching this since January and its caused quite a lot of stress seeing it coming like a slow moving train crash. I spent my 4 weeks skiing in France (came back 2 weeks ago) checking the news and thinking "why am I here?" Because I knew what was coming but had carried on as normal anyway just to not be seen as hysterical. I had alternative flights saved and ready to book quickly after the Italy madness started. 

Was my girlfriends' dream trip so I'm happy she got to do it (could do with the crazy amount of money spent back now like..) but we got back by the skin of our teeth. Which I'd said we would before we went and was practically laughed at by my parents. 

Luckily been back 16 days now without illness. Also I'm living with my parents which was a huge worry (gave them the option for us to go elsewhere but they convinced me otherwise, I still think wrongly and I shouldve been firmer) but looking back it was just all an extremely reckless thing to do.

A lesson has been learnt about trusting instincts and not worrying about what others think 

China only told the world about it in January, the WHO reported on 14th January that the virus didn’t spread through human to human transmission, so mid January nobody not even the WHO had any idea how bad it things would get. 

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

Is booze a necessity?

If someone is dependant on alcohol it is. 

I’ve witnessed what happens to alcoholics during withdrawal periods. While I was in hospital the other month I was on a ward with a couple of alcoholics who were having regular fits because they could no longer get the drug their body has become dependent on. 

Similar with the medication I’m on. You can’t just stop taking it abruptly. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Wtf

Tucker time is the absolute bottom of the pit for shit republican tv. It’s basically trump propaganda. He was championing that it was a democrat hoax until the very point that they couldn’t do that anymore.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This could have been reduced if people were more on the ball about these sort of things, but you can’t blame anyone. This hasn’t happened for 100 or so years. Two/ three generations of humans completely detached from the idea of a pandemic. 

SARS was 2002/3, H5N1 was 2003 onwards, H1N1 was 2009/10, MERS around 2012. Ebola and Zika even more recently. 

Sure not all were pandemics, but all were at least significant public health emergencies. Governments and people not prepared for this kind of event simply haven't been paying attention.  

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Wtf

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Tucker time is the absolute bottom of the pit for shit republican tv. It’s basically trump propaganda. He was championing that it was a democrat hoax until the very point that they couldn’t do that anymore.

This seems to be the case for a lot of Fox News stuff though. But I've snippets from him and have been surprised.

Equally, however, I wouldn't be surprised if that mindset was pretty widespread here among a certain demographic of people here still going "Lol its just a bad cold - don't screw up the economy, it'll just go away." But then this whole thing is requiring a big shift in mindset to tackle it to see it off, so I can imagine some people are going to be slower to bring along to this way of thinking. 

4 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

SARS was 2002/3, H5N1 was 2003 onwards, H1N1 was 2009/10, MERS around 2012. Ebola and Zika even more recently. 

Sure not all were pandemics, but all were at least significant public health emergencies. Governments and people not prepared for this kind of event simply haven't been paying attention.  

I've actually wondered why SARS didn't get as big a traction outside the East Asia region as this given there's similarity in symptoms and transmission.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This seems to be the case for a lot of Fox News stuff though. But I've snippets from him and have been surprised.

Equally, however, I wouldn't be surprised if that mindset was pretty widespread here among a certain demographic of people here still going "Lol its just a bad cold - don't screw up the economy, it'll just go away." But then this whole thing is requiring a big shift in mindset to tackle it to see it off, so I can imagine some people are going to be slower to bring along to this way of thinking. 

I've actually wondered why SARS didn't get as big a traction outside the East Asia region as this given there's similarity in symptoms and transmission.

From what I understand SARS was debilitating a lot more quickly and hence was not that efficient at spreading. 

1 hour ago, SalviaPlath said:

Thing is all of those were local and not pandemics. A potential pandemic is easier to identity due to the infectiousness.

The early hysteria was because people realised how infectious this virus was. I don’t think most people were concerned about the death rate but more so the easiness of catching it.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Because you could only catch it off people showing symptoms. By it’s a nature it didn’t have the capacity to spread as quickly as this.

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Didn't seem confusing to me. You're being told to stay home. If you're not a key worker and you can't work from home you're off work.

The government website said "key workers" and the social media post said something more wooly like "essential" so you have a load of businesses declaring themselves essential and asking workers to come in.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

The government website said "key workers" and the social media post said something more wooly like "essential" so you have a load of businesses declaring themselves essential and asking workers to come in.

My sister isn't a "key worker" and she's been given a laptop so she can work from home. Her boss told her she has to go to the office today to "discuss her working from home plan". FFS.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

This is either light at the end of the tunnel or utterly lunacy from Japan, but this happened yesterday

The big Japanese guys NJPW have enough money to stay closed. The smaller guys dont. I suspect the same thing happens here in a few months...

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The big Japanese guys NJPW have enough money to stay closed. The smaller guys dont. I suspect the same thing happens here in a few months...

It's that weird zone where the Japense government aren't shutting down the events, but the bigger companies are more reluctant to get back to BAU. I guess in a week we'll see the effects of running events like this.

I despair at the stupidity of some people. My girlfriend had to drive to work today - her route was busier than it's been for a number of weeks. There are people (a lot from what she saw on her way to work) still going out.

A friend of my girlfriend sent a group text last night asking if anyone wanted to start a running club. 20 minutes after Boris' speech. They all declined which was good to see. The worst part? This person who suggested the running club is a police officer!!

I just cannot get my head around why they don't stay in. The longer people ignore the rules in place the longer all of this will last. Why is that so hard to understand!?

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I despair at the stupidity of some people. My girlfriend had to drive to work today - her route was busier than it's been for a number of weeks. There are people (a lot from what she saw on her way to work) still going out.

A friend of my girlfriend sent a group text last night asking if anyone wanted to start a running club. 20 minutes after Boris' speech. They all declined which was good to see. The worst part? This person who suggested the running club is a police officer!!

I just cannot get my head around why they don't stay in. The longer people ignore the rules in place the longer all of this will last. Why is that so hard to understand!?

People are stupid!