When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Kind of is in my trades instance. I'm a landscaper, I work outside in the open, there's two of us, and we've been working and will continue to work within the social distancing rules, and obviously I cant work from home. I've been in touch with all my future clients who are happy for us to work and we've strict rules in place that they're all aware of (prior to Boris' statement however). There's now a lot of confusion in the landscaping forums on that statement. Are we essential work? Is our travel non-essential? No more gatherings of more than 2 people....does that apply to places of work i.e. 2 or more people onsite is forbidden? Will the merchants have to close? Is a hardware store classed as a merchant? It's not that clearcut in my instance, and honestly I'm not sure where me and lot of my fellow trades stand on this.

Totally understand, however it’s down to key worker or not, I would suggest landscapers are not.

Agree, the government need to put minds at rest wrt financial support for contractors, self employed and anyone else who feels they’re not captured by recent announcements.

we are locking up shop for at least 3 weeks, stay indoors, stay safe 😎x

Just now, Ozanne said:

Should we have a Q&A thread for COVID19, where people can post any type of questions and they get answered. The original post can be updated to be easily recognised too?

We shouldn't, because there are other sites with the knowledge of qualified professionals on hand to dispense advice better than Glastonbury nerds.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Please can be people stay in as asked! Things of who what and when will become clearer each day! 
I work for frontline services as do many of my friends and family! We are trying to keep you safe and well! But people not listening is putting more of us at risk! 
As well as dealing with the coronavirus we are continuing to do our normal jobs like preventing crime, making sure children and adults are not being abused! Making sure the vulnerable are safe in lots of ways! 
We are not seeing our friends and family either! Its horrible to see small business and self employed lose their jobs! Its all shit! 
but please limit your physical contact with people! Be inventive use social media and other forms of communication! Together we can get through this! 

Sound like a peeler to me

19 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Totally understand, however it’s down to key worker or not, I would suggest landscapers are not.

Agree, the government need to put minds at rest wrt financial support for contractors, self employed and anyone else who feels they’re not captured by recent announcements.

On the self employed bit the presenter on Sky news mentioned that other countries have averaged earnings over the past 3 years. whether you have to have 3 years of self assessments or not in those countries to qualify is unclear.

I'm pretty screwed if thats the option here as I started freelancing 3 months before the deadline for the last tax year and that's the only self assessment I have so my "average" will be 3 months of earnings. So far this tax year I've earnt my old salary but that won't be included so whatever the measures are they won't help me.

Basically I just need to keep hold of my clients...

Edited by efcfanwirral

Tell you what, I expect if we looked back on some of those locked threads from a week or so ago, the "level headed and sensible" people and "hysterical" people's posts will look very different from today's vantage point.

I don't think there was much factually wrong with that vast majority of what @Matt42 was saying back then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Tell you what, I expect if we looked back on some of those locked threads from a week or so ago, the "level headed and sensible" people and "hysterical" people's posts will look very different from today's vantage point.

I don't think there was much factually wrong with that vast majority of what @Matt42 was saying back then.

This isn’t really a time for told you so’s because they add nothing to the situation. People are dying here now and it’s really serious. The second I heard about this virus I researched it pretty intensely. I did the math and I came to the realisation that there was absolutely no way on earth that it wasn’t coming here. Every country would follow the same pattern. This is simply because the nature of this virus is just impossible to contain. It’s possible to treat, and we know that not every case is fatal, but this virus is concerning because it seems to knock down any barriers you put up against it. 

This could have been reduced if people were more on the ball about these sort of things, but you can’t blame anyone. This hasn’t happened for 100 or so years. Two/ three generations of humans completely detached from the idea of a pandemic. 

Stay safe everyone. Do your best to look after your loved ones. I’m struggling to read this board at the moment. I’m in London and I miss my family dearly. I’m also quite upset about Glastonbury too so I can’t really spend too much time in the forum. I feel like I’ve got nothing to say so I just haven’t said anything for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not sure what @Matt42 was saying. However, it has been my opinion that this is a shit storm far greater than any tsunami could muster. 

These may well be, the end of days.

Ho hum!

In any case, nobody ever got out alive. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This isn’t really a time for told you so’s because they add nothing to the situation. People are dying here now and it’s really serious. The second I heard about this virus I researched it pretty intensely. I did the math and I came to the realisation that there was absolutely no way on earth that it wasn’t coming here. Every country would follow the same pattern. This is simply because the nature of this virus is just impossible to contain. It’s possible to treat, and we know that not every case is fatal, but this virus is concerning because it seems to knock down any barriers you put up against it. 

This could have been reduced if people were more on the ball about these sort of things, but you can’t blame anyone. This hasn’t happened for 100 or so years. Two/ three generations of humans completely detached from the idea of a pandemic. 

Stay safe everyone. Do your best to look after your loved ones. I’m struggling to read this board at the moment. I’m in London and I miss my family dearly. I’m also quite upset about Glastonbury too so I can’t really spend too much time in the forum. I feel like I’ve got nothing to say so I just haven’t said anything for a while. 

Now I do know what you are saying. I haven't read the whole thread. Your post above is where we / it's at. 

23 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My posts probably haven’t aged well 😂 I might be very good at predicting things, I also guaranteed to my friends that Brexit would never happen 🤔

The shit will happen and there's not a lot we can do, other than try to act as responsibly as we can as individuals.

What concerns me more is what happens when, eventually, it's over. I suspect life will never be the same for a lot of people and the reconstruction of society and the economy will be an even bigger challenge.

It's not like WWII in that during the war social interaction still took place and was even encouraged to keep morale up.  But the aftermath will be like the aftermath of WWII with the rebuilding.

What I’m now confident on is this.

People will find ways to subvert the new rules, which are arguably still quite relaxed.

The government in three days will do another announcement and tighten them up even further.

What I find frustrating is that whenever the government throws us a bone, people try their hardest to cheat out the system. I know we don’t like Boris but listening to him will actually benefit us in the long run right now. Don’t give them a reason to tighten this up even further.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What I’m now confident on is this.

People will find ways to subvert the new rules, which are arguably still quite relaxed.

The government in three days will do another announcement and tighten them up even further.

What I find frustrating is that whenever the government throws us a bone, people try their hardest to cheat out the system. I know we don’t like Boris but listening to him will actually benefit us in the long run right now. Don’t give them a reason to tighten this up even further.

I think what people need to realise is that these powers will give them the ability to detain ANYONE - but I agree I feel this will need to be demonstrated before people get it

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You were just an example. Although you seemed the most alarmed, there were plenty of people saying it was going to be bad, and I think because the scale of it seemed so hard to get round, plus the counter-intuitive nature of exponential growth simply laying out what was going to happen seems hysterical, when it was actually pretty grounded.

At least I haven't seen anyone try to compare the absolute numbers of seasonal flu with a pandemic in its very early days recently.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Growth->flu

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

In Los Angeles landscapers are considered essential. Somebody has to make sure that a tree is trimmed for example and that a branch wont break off and fall on a person. Then you involve yourself with a personal injury lawsuit against a municipality or a property owner as to why this wasnt monitored. How about leaves piling up everywhere? They can dry out and then be set on fire. But you say let it be due to a landscaper not being essential.  Lets make garbage men not essential either because you think keeping things clean isnt a priority right now since everyone will just be staying home.

2 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Kind of is in my trades instance. I'm a landscaper, I work outside in the open, there's two of us, and we've been working and will continue to work within the social distancing rules, and obviously I cant work from home. I've been in touch with all my future clients who are happy for us to work and we've strict rules in place that they're all aware of (prior to Boris' statement however). There's now a lot of confusion in the landscaping forums on that statement. Are we essential work? Is our travel non-essential? No more gatherings of more than 2 people....does that apply to places of work i.e. 2 or more people onsite is forbidden? Will the merchants have to close? Is a hardware store classed as a merchant? It's not that clearcut in my instance, and honestly I'm not sure where me and lot of my fellow trades stand on this.

You’re essential, never think that youre not, and I hope that its cleared up. The jobs and trades that apparently nobody notices are the most vital in times like this. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think what people need to realise is that these powers will give them the ability to detain ANYONE - but I agree I feel this will need to be demonstrated before people get it

Yeah. Kinda no way around it really. Surprising that there was no mention of the military or anything. It will have to be enforced once the weather gets warmer and people have a greater pull to getting out the house. 

What I’ve realised with the Great British public is a lot of people don’t understand nuance, or when something is insinuated. Unfortunately a lot of people need a strict order to refrain from doing things. This is like the kid in the classroom that always gets into trouble because they can’t read the signs that they are pissing the teacher off.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You were just an example. Although you seemed the most alarmed, there were plenty of people saying it was going to be bad, and I think because the scale of it seemed so hard to get round, plus the counter-intuitive nature of exponential growth simply laying out what was going to happen seems hysterical, when it was actually pretty grounded.

At least I haven't seen anyone try to compare the absolute numbers of seasonal growth with a pandemic in its very early days recently.

The scale is hard to get around because this is alien for modern times. There’s nothing wrong with people who were sceptical. I don’t know whether it was because some people delved a bit further into source material and tried to learn every nook and cranny about what was going on.

I remember some point in January something switched with me where I noticed that this virus in China was not like anything we have seen before. Once the Italy outbreak happened I just knew that there was nothing we could do to stop it impacting here. In order for us to completely avoid this virus we would of had to go into lockdown the second Italy started having problems. Obviously, that is totally infeasible, which is why it didn’t happen. I don’t think we will make that mistake again though.

I reckon the next time any sort of virus hits a country there will be some sort of mandatory travel ban instantly. This is going to put us into a recession, governments literally can’t afford to come close to anything like this again.