When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

My Mum has had the letter asking her to come out of retirement and get back to nursing.

She's worked on cardiac ICU, a hospice and then as a community nurse until she retired in December 2018 because she couldn't handle the pressures, stress and physicality of it anymore.

I know it is the most selfish response but obviously I am terrified and don't want her to go back, but she feels guilty and like she has to. My Dad had a (small) heart attack in December and I am worried about her potentially giving it to him, or her having to self-isolate away from him, never mind her getting it herself of which she would be at high risk to being in a work environment without the right protective equipment.

It makes me feel sick to think of her getting ill, or Dad. It makes me feel sick to think of any of the medical professionals having to make impossible decisions at this time. It all just makes me sick with worry. And I can't even see her to give her a fucking hug because I live 300 miles away.

Just to say that it's not legal for landlords to evict tenants in this way, especially with no notice. So if you know anyone this is happening to they are entitled to stay and the landlord would have to go to court to evict. I can understand why they wouldn't want the hassle, though.

Hope said landlords never get another tenant.

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just to say that it's not legal for landlords to evict tenants in this way, especially with no notice. So if you know anyone this is happening to they are entitled to stay and the landlord would have to go to court to evict. I can understand why they wouldn't want the hassle, though.

I really try my best not to wish ill on people, I really do.

Instead I'm just actively wishing that nothing good happens to them.

Not getting another tenant is a great example. I approve.

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In fact, for the next three months, nobody can be evicted at all.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/complete-ban-on-evictions-and-additional-protection-for-renters

Realistically I think we'll be in and out of more/less restrictive measures for the next 12 months. Periods of respite to get everyone's heads above water, then back in for another stretch.

Gut feel, nothing more scientific

If you stop being able to taste and smell - self isolate.

It still isn’t being reported as a symptom which is just insane.  I lost mine over a week ago and had no idea it could be a symptom. Now feel absolutely awful about it as I went into work (on advice of 111) 

Search Twitter and it’s all over it, I just wish I searched Twitter before I called 111. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, themuel said:

It still isn’t being reported as a symptom which is just insane.  I lost mine over a week ago and had no idea it could be a symptom. Now feel absolutely awful about it as I went into work (on advice of 111) 

Search Twitter and it’s all over it, I just wish I searched Twitter before I called 111. 

Yes this happened to my ex and her mum a week or so back, compete loss of taste and smell but no other symptoms. They clearly had it without knowing and passed it on to god knows how many people. Not their fault or yours though so don’t feel guilty.

13 minutes ago, themuel said:

Aye, don't feel bad about it pal.  It's really only just being noted as a potential symptom and it's still not 100% confirmed.  If you go down the road of trusting Twitter for symptoms you'll go insane.

Hope you're feeling OK 

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I strongly disagree with this.  "doing what they are paid to do" doesn't some close to describing the once simple, now heroic act of going to work every day for those treating the COVID-19 patients.

🙄🙄🙄🙄 FFS! They are doing their job. Yes the risks are higher but are they anymore ‘heroic’ than checkout workers? Truck drivers? Fire fighters? Police? No is the obvious answer. 

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

🙄🙄🙄🙄 FFS! They are doing their job. Yes the risks are higher but are they anymore ‘heroic’ than checkout workers? Truck drivers? Fire fighters? Police? No is the obvious answer. 

What an odd take, particularly given the current situation.

35 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Yes is the more obvious answer. And most of the people who are out there are heroic too.  Literally putting their lives in the line to keep us all alive.  We live in times where hyperbole is difficult.  Have you not noticed the entire world's economy has been shut down for public safety?