The Efestivals social distancing / self isolating support thread

Crazyfool01

Despite the news of crowds congregating in certain parts last weekend, everyone around here is practically running away when another approaches! 

We've established a network of help in the village I live, really good to see we believe we have everyone who may need help supported.

I'm into the 8th day self-isolating and I am loving a decent walk in the morning, and playing plenty of music. Am contemplating, when sensible to do, a semi-isolation walk across Hadrian's Wall for a week.

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

100%!

It was a few years ago so the hardware has probably changed a bit but I'm sure I could still be of help. As I said, I just followed a YouTube tutorial but since I did that I've actually done a Masters in software development so should be able to help :)

Once I get this upcoming busy week of work out of the way I am actually planning to revisit it and play around with it some more.

Dammit, gone down a rabbit hole reading online articles about build & config.

Think I know what I'll be building up a shopping list for this week....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dammit, gone down a rabbit hole reading online articles about build & config.

Think I know what I'll be building up a shopping list for this week....

From memory, I bought a Raspberry Pi 3. It has 4 USB ports.

I also bought a wireless mouse and keyboard (wireless but still required a USB to be inserted into the Raspberry Pi). For my controller I just use a PS4 controller connected with the charging cable. Some stages of the set up also required a USB drive to be inserted.

I bought a little housing thing for it too, just to keep it protected. Was fairly cheap as well (possibly they come with these now).

One thing I did waste money on was a Raspberry Pi guide/textbook. Still have it lying around somewhere but haven't looked at it (or needed it) once.

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

From memory, I bought a Raspberry Pi 3. It has 4 USB ports.

I also bought a wireless mouse and keyboard (wireless but still required a USB to be inserted into the Raspberry Pi). For my controller I just use a PS4 controller connected with the charging cable. Some stages of the set up also required a USB drive to be inserted.

I bought a little housing thing for it too, just to keep it protected. Was fairly cheap as well (possibly they come with these now).

One thing I did waste money on was a Raspberry Pi guide/textbook. Still have it lying around somewhere but haven't looked at it (or needed it) once.

I think the 3 is the one I've seen popping up as well.  Checking Retro Pie's list of supported systems I can get MAME arcade games as well as the main home systems, so that will pretty much cover everything I want.

I may splash out and go for an Odroid instead of a Pi, but more likely I'll just stick with the Pi option. 

Basically I just want to go back to playing WWF Wrestlefest until my fingertips bleed :D

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Another question...

Disney+ - Worth it?

for me it is, but I'm big on Disney, The Simpsons, Star Wars and the superhero lot. I really enjoyed The Mandalorian when I watched it cheekily so feel I owe it to everyone that worked on it to show it some love officially. 

Sky have a deal on for Movies at the moment so we got it when we cancelled out sports. Lost an entire weekend to mediocre films (that I missed the first 10 minutes of) and regret nothing.

15 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Irn Bru take on social distancing

5FAD8673-FB23-4B6C-99F5-29554AE2E51F.jpeg.676e2a95bbf48bc4acb7725ec197ce5f.jpeg

Translation _. Don’t be a female part, stay away from your grandmother! 

In a similar line, this made me chuckle. You bunch of fuckin' idiots, you been telt!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bisque said:

I would very much recommend listening to the Ellis James & John Robins podcasts (you can find their whole XFM/Radio X back-catalogue too). They are very funny, talk about mental health & darkness, John’s break up from Sara Pascoe & Elis having a baby with Dobby etc. John’s Shamewell is a highlight. It helped my ex girlfriend who is a fruit cake no end through her teacher training. Met them a few times too & have a lot of time for fans. If you don’t like retro Welsh football, farthings, Oxford/Bristol pubs or Queen you will do soon. They also have a separate dedicated podcast for mindfulness.

Thanks, I'm actually a fan of both as comedians, but have never listened to the podcast. Mind you I have a bit of a podcast backlog! It's on the list though.

PS. Why did you change your name? Didn't realise it was the same poster.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

6 hours ago, northernringo said:

A decent little project that may interest some on here is getting a Raspberry Pi and setting it up as a game emulator. I did it a couple of years ago following a YouTube tutorial and have it stocked up with PS1 games and other older console games too.

Good call, you have reminded me.

2000ish I built a MAME machine and cocktail cabinet (very similar to this one)  around an old pentium. It was approx 90% finished, as in it plays games, has sound, buttons, joystick etc but I never got round to finishing off the cosmetic side such as a bezel to hide the monitor edges and some artwork for the front. It's currently buried under piles of magazines, and generally gets used as shelf when I can't think of any where else to put stuff. 

So large a tidy and magazine recycle,  and a RPi 4 conversion for the MAME cabinet sounds like a good isolation project. Should be more powerful and much less power hungry that its current incarnation, *and* it gives me a reason to order another Pi.   

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Bisque said:

I would very much recommend listening to the Ellis James & John Robins podcasts (you can find their whole XFM/Radio X back-catalogue too). They are very funny, talk about mental health & darkness, John’s break up from Sara Pascoe & Elis having a baby with Dobby etc. John’s Shamewell is a highlight. It helped my ex girlfriend who is a fruit cake no end through her teacher training. Met them a few times too & have a lot of time for fans. If you don’t like retro Welsh football, farthings, Oxford/Bristol pubs or Queen you will do soon. They also have a separate dedicated podcast for mindfulness.

I did not know they were together!

Ellis James on Quickly Kevin podcast is also superb. Swansea episode season 1.

I have been chatting to a girl online for a couple of weeks and we thought we better make the most of the situation before we all get locked down. 

She came over to my house, we had a couple of drinks but we maintained a sizeable distance between us throughout. 

Rough translation, we had zero chemistry and therefore no danger of transferring dangerous virus laden fluids. 

Also doesn’t help that we were watching contagion. Bad date film for this current crisis 😂

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

In these scary and uncertain times we look for comfort in any normality we find... So it’s reassuring to know that Mike Ashley is still an utter c**t.

Yeah, that was shocking haha

One thing I am noticing is that this nightmare is bringing the worst and the best out of people. Keep an eye out - true colours are being revealed. 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyway ... what things have you all done to help people today ? lets go back to positives ... thats enough of c**ts for the day !!

Had another voicemail and text from a couple of people in the village, not after help yet but confirming they've got the leaflet I posted in case they need help with shopping etc.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Had another voicemail and text from a couple of people in the village, not after help yet but confirming they've got the leaflet I posted in case they need help with shopping etc.

I managed to sort out the neighbours WiFi .. well connected him up to mine whilst his has failed we are both on the social distance thing so I gave him instructions how to connect through his window I really wish I could help more people and be at work doing the same ... that’s getting me down more than the actual isolation at the moment ... but nice one ... you can use the shopping bags as some kind of weights :)