Jump to content
crazyfool1

The Efestivals social distancing / self isolating support thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I asked for that didn’t I ? Actually we are entering the time of year when it’s Creme eggs that get deep fried.  That’s a right sweet scotch egg! 

Do you know - I've tried my hardest to imagine what a deep fried mars bar tasted like, and I don't like my conclusions. And now they're doing it with Creme Eggs. Jesus, you fucking heathens!  I am, of course, only joking. If I recall correctly, I've been to Scotland at least five times, and had a ball every time. It's hard not to when faced with such ferocious scenic beauty, and equally potent hospitality. Oh, and a fair number of single malts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Do you know - I've tried my hardest to imagine what a deep fried mars bar tasted like, and I don't like my conclusions. And now they're doing it with Creme Eggs. Jesus, you fucking heathens!  I am, of course, only joking. If I recall correctly, I've been to Scotland at least five times, and had a ball every time. It's hard not to when faced with such ferocious scenic beauty, and equally potent hospitality. Oh, and a fair number of single malts.

Remember they are battered before being launched into the boiling fat along with the pizzas! On that note , one of the best chants  I’ve ever heard at a football match was Scotland v Italy when we started singing “deep fry pizzas, we fucking deep fry pizzas”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Remember they are battered before being launched into the boiling fat 

Exactly!

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

On that note , one of the best chants  I’ve ever heard at a football match was Scotland v Italy when we started singing “deep fry pizzas, we fucking deep fry pizzas”. 

I was working in Birmingham city centre one year when Holland were playing Scotland at football. Not being a sports fan I had no idea that this was taking place. So, I go out for my lunch, and the town is a whole sea of orange. Everywhere the eye could see - orange. Well, apart from the fountain that is. For in there, there were two Scottish lads in kilts, splashing the Dutch fans around them. It was all good humoured though. I'd forgotten that day, up until now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a three-hour catchup with four uni mates online. Was sceptical before but was a real laugh (hence the three hours). Recommended

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

That’s a big part I’m worried about too, how it’ll effect my mental health. I’m really close to my nephews the eldest one who’s 2 years old and the youngest is nearly 6 months, and possibly not being able to see them for months it’s really getting to me. I’m feeling really low about it this evening. 
 

Generally I’m fine being on my own so hopefully this feeling will pass but it’s worrying me.  

Know what you mean, saw my 7yr old niece and pregnant sister on Friday knowing it’ll be the last time for maybe 3 months. I’m very close to them so it’ll be hard. Keep well and keep in touch with them, FaceTime is a godsend during times like these. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any other apps people recommend for multiple conversations face to face ... FaceTime for Apple devices ... what about for mixed devices ? What works well ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a video quiz with some friends tonight, was brilliant to be fair and we’re doing it twice a week all donating money each quiz to our friend whose daughter has an inoperable brain tumour. The fundraising campaign has understandably slowed down so we’re doing our best to keep it going. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Any other apps people recommend for multiple conversations face to face ... FaceTime for Apple devices ... what about for mixed devices ? What works well ? 


we used Zoom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Any other apps people recommend for multiple conversations face to face ... FaceTime for Apple devices ... what about for mixed devices ? What works well ? 

We used Zoom for our quiz. Multi screen business communication app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HeyPorter said:

Did a video quiz with some friends tonight, was brilliant to be fair and we’re doing it twice a week all donating money each quiz to our friend whose daughter has an inoperable brain tumour. The fundraising campaign has understandably slowed down so we’re doing our best to keep it going. 


Our conversation threatened to lapse into the C word but then accidentally turned into a quiz

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HeyPorter said:

We used Zoom for our quiz. Multi screen business communication app. 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Homer said:


Our conversation threatened to lapse into the C word but then accidentally turned into a quiz

Ours was well prepared but then turned into a shambles. Was great fun though, had a “how many toilet rolls you can balance on your head” challenge. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found out that my workplace is closing for the foreseeable future, I was hoping I'd be eligible for the Gov's 80 percent income thing but since I'm on a zero hour contract I don't think that's likely,  also found out that my driving instructor is also stopping lessons for at least 2 weeks. what an awful month this has been...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Woffy said:

That lighter near the wig is gonna keep me up tonight, Bryanrebe. Pop it in the junk drawer in the kitchen. 

It's because I have a candle burning right now. Don't worry it will be put away safely!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woffy said:

So Couchy, looking back how useful was Russy's 2014 breakup advice?

I’m not even sure why we are bringing this up again. I mourn more for the loss of Glastonbury this summer than any female. Sad innit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You star thanks :)

I would very much recommend listening to the Ellis James & John Robins podcasts (you can find their whole XFM/Radio X back-catalogue too). They are very funny, talk about mental health & darkness, John’s break up from Sara Pascoe & Elis having a baby with Dobby etc. John’s Shamewell is a highlight. It helped my ex girlfriend who is a fruit cake no end through her teacher training. Met them a few times too & have a lot of time for fans. If you don’t like retro Welsh football, farthings, Oxford/Bristol pubs or Queen you will do soon. They also have a separate dedicated podcast for mindfulness.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I would very much recommend listening to the Ellis James & John Robins podcasts (you can find their whole XFM/Radio X back-catalogue too). They are very funny, talk about mental health & darkness, John’s break up from Sara Pascoe & Elis having a baby with Dobby etc. John’s Shamewell is a highlight. It helped my ex girlfriend who is a fruit cake no end through her teacher training. Met them a few times too & have a lot of time for fans. If you don’t like retro Welsh football, farthings, Oxford/Bristol pubs or Queen you will do soon. They also have a separate dedicated podcast for mindfulness.

I second all this. Their How Do You Cope podcast is brilliant. The Emily Dean episode is particularly great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

week 2 for me........

I completely lost the plot last week. Thankful that I reached out and now feel a lot better.

WhatsApp group video chat with my folks and sister worked well even though my folks was against trying it. Now booked to do that each Friday at 6:30. Planning to don fancy dress one week, do a silly quiz / sing songs etc.  it was their 53rd anniversary and then Mother’s Day and I obviously kept away. My dad has self isolated for the last 50 winters due to his weak lungs so he is pretty used to it and now has a kindle with 275 science fiction novels. He’s pretty happy to be honest.

I started using zoom which is good. 

Also used Google Hangout for a camp planning meeting that I had to postpone. The platform was quite good also. 

i now have extended WiFi and a home office and home school. Mrs worm already worked from home so we’re new zoning. My company uses MS Teams for chat and video calls and meetings.

I do international tech support for the whole of Europe and quite often Asia and USA and it was sooooooo odd doing this from my daughters old bedroom. 

Finally, hoping to exchange on the house this week. So long as that happens (it’s been ongoing since Aug) I can relax about a completion and moving date.  That can wait so long as we have exchanged. 

xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bisque said:

I would very much recommend listening to the Ellis James & John Robins podcasts (you can find their whole XFM/Radio X back-catalogue too). They are very funny, talk about mental health & darkness, John’s break up from Sara Pascoe & Elis having a baby with Dobby etc. John’s Shamewell is a highlight. It helped my ex girlfriend who is a fruit cake no end through her teacher training. Met them a few times too & have a lot of time for fans. If you don’t like retro Welsh football, farthings, Oxford/Bristol pubs or Queen you will do soon. They also have a separate dedicated podcast for mindfulness.


love this  

I have lived all my life with a John Robbins style internal commentary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Any other apps people recommend for multiple conversations face to face ... FaceTime for Apple devices ... what about for mixed devices ? What works well ? 

Few of us used Skype last night, can operate through either web browser or installed application, laptop / PC or phone. All you need is a Microsoft account, which is free to sign up if you don't already have one.  If you've got a hotmail or xbox live account, you should have a Microsoft account.


Worked well for a couple of hours, and was definitely a massive boost to actually see faces and have a giggle and a few beers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so lucky to have both my parents, they are 89 and live in rural Wales. We're doing supermarket runs for them every fortnight, leaving the goods on the front path and keeping our distance. But there's a independence issue going on, they are fiercely independent, they want to online shop but cannot, and here's why. First, they are not the fastest cats on the web - filling up the basket took them 2hrs, but there were no delivery slots at all. The one time they got one, they discovered that 2-factor authentication for their credit cards had not been set up and so lost the slot. I've set them up with skype and used MS Teams to run through the process with them - all to no avail. We will continue the food runs for them and they have wonderful neighbours who can help.

There must be many thousands of elderly in this situation, not able to fend for themselves for the first time ever. It's up to us to knock on a few doors and not just offer to help, but to understand their fear that this scary and not what they want. A card though the door is good, but a physically distant (not socially!!) conversation might be needed too.

Sorry if this is off topic a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

did someone mention fancy dress ? .... maybe not :) how about an efest hat competition ...

Did someone say hat competition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Did someone say hat competition?

I reckon it might be fun ... anyone else interested ? People can get kids involved too ... a project for time off and for the farm in 2021 

Edited by crazyfool1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I am so lucky to have both my parents, they are 89 and live in rural Wales. We're doing supermarket runs for them every fortnight, leaving the goods on the front path and keeping our distance. But there's a independence issue going on, they are fiercely independent, they want to online shop but cannot, and here's why. First, they are not the fastest cats on the web - filling up the basket took them 2hrs, but there were no delivery slots at all. The one time they got one, they discovered that 2-factor authentication for their credit cards had not been set up and so lost the slot. I've set them up with skype and used MS Teams to run through the process with them - all to no avail. We will continue the food runs for them and they have wonderful neighbours who can help.

There must be many thousands of elderly in this situation, not able to fend for themselves for the first time ever. It's up to us to knock on a few doors and not just offer to help, but to understand their fear that this scary and not what they want. A card though the door is good, but a physically distant (not socially!!) conversation might be needed too.

Sorry if this is off topic a bit.

Not at all.  Group in our village that I'm working with has posted the cards through everyone's doors like you've said, but as well as offering the usual grocery shopping / picking up prescriptions etc it also says we're just there for a conversation or a call.  Hopefully it's as much about knowing people are there and supporting them as it is about the physical acts of delivering some carrots :)

Had a couple of texts, a voicemail and a thank you card (they delivered it by hand which is kind of defeating the object :D ) so at least people have the message.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...