The Efestivals social distancing / self isolating support thread

Crazyfool01

On 4/11/2020 at 9:37 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have just watched the Tiger King. 7 episodes in a day.

Never binge watched anything to that degree before... My god. 

Lockdown is nothing on that.

Just done the first episode. Have had to force myself to come up to bed as I had the shittest sleep last night.  Its 100% getting binged tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

6C2ED44B-4D0C-4FB8-98BD-5B527E406C87.thumb.jpeg.7522ba91ce4e54460e283d351aee933c.jpegE317D4FA-99B8-4827-B3B1-D4B10E402B31.thumb.jpeg.b72a39e966bea95df10fb34145ac6ffa.jpeg

out for my exercise today and I noticed the inhabitants of our local castle practicing their social distancing on their private tennis courts in their gardens. 

Comrades, come the revolution I know where my first stop will be😁!

To be fair, if they are all self isolating as a group/ family then I can't see anything wrong with them playing tennis together.

I'm curious as to what that grey box is on top of that large post in the lower photo. Possibly something to do with the inhabitants security?

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm curious as to what that grey box is on top of that large post in the lower photo. Possibly something to do with the inhabitants security?

Havnt a clue what it is, can’t get any closer due to the barbed wire, minefield, rabid alsatians and snipers. Us plebs are only allowed to gaze from a distance. Hopefully they have enough Pimms to last out the lock down. 

I've continued to enjoy faffing around with my raspberry pi, slowly building up a little library of games.  I'm also discovering that finding ROMs for certain systems isn't quite as easy as I thought for various reasons, so rather than get too buried in trying to figure that out I've decided to make sure I'm actually playing some games.  In doing so I can confirm the following things:

Old Amstrad CPC games look and play as clunky as f**k but they still retain a charm and massive nostalgia value. And some Amiga ports were pretty much arcade quality for the time. 

Button bashing arcade games are still surprisingly good fun for a short burst if you've got 15 minutes to spare, but probably not going to be ones to go back to too much. Side scrollers like the Simpsons arcade game and Sunset Riders on the other hand are still great fun.

NBA Jam and the original Mario Kart on the SNES are still brilliant.  With so many developments in the MK games you do forget just how strong the original was.

NES games, and I cannot overstate this enough, are controller-smashingly difficult. After repeatedly getting my arse handed to me in the level 6 dungeon on the original Legend of Zelda, I decided to try something different and finally try playing the original Castlevania. Holy shitballs. What an absolute bastard of a game.

And finally, Rainbow Islands has exactly the same capacity to make me shake with rage as it did when I was about 12/13. The giant vampire at the end of Monster Island can get in the fucking bin.

Best £85 I've spent in a loooooong time :D

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've continued to enjoy faffing around with my raspberry pi, slowly building up a little library of games.  I'm also discovering that finding ROMs for certain systems isn't quite as easy as I thought for various reasons, so rather than get too buried in trying to figure that out I've decided to make sure I'm actually playing some games.  In doing so I can confirm the following things:

Old Amstrad CPC games look and play as clunky as f**k but they still retain a charm and massive nostalgia value. And some Amiga ports were pretty much arcade quality for the time. 

Button bashing arcade games are still surprisingly good fun for a short burst if you've got 15 minutes to spare, but probably not going to be ones to go back to too much. Side scrollers like the Simpsons arcade game and Sunset Riders on the other hand are still great fun.

NBA Jam and the original Mario Kart on the SNES are still brilliant.  With so many developments in the MK games you do forget just how strong the original was.

NES games, and I cannot overstate this enough, are controller-smashingly difficult. After repeatedly getting my arse handed to me in the level 6 dungeon on the original Legend of Zelda, I decided to try something different and finally try playing the original Castlevania. Holy shitballs. What an absolute bastard of a game.

And finally, Rainbow Islands has exactly the same capacity to make me shake with rage as it did when I was about 12/13. The giant vampire at the end of Monster Island can get in the fucking bin.

Best £85 I've spent in a loooooong time :D

Spent some time the other week getting mine all set up again so hopefully get some time this weekend to play some games!

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Spent some time the other week getting mine all set up again so hopefully get some time this weekend to play some games!

Just be careful with it. After talking to my brother about it he decided to set up some emulators on his laptop last weekend.

I got a message from him at 8pm saying he was still in his dressing gown and on his second pint :lol:

24 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just be careful with it. After talking to my brother about it he decided to set up some emulators on his laptop last weekend.

I got a message from him at 8pm saying he was still in his dressing gown and on his second pint :lol:

Yea, it is crazy how you can lose track of time! I got a load of games which would have kept me more than entertained for it but my PS1 games weren't working so spent ages fixing that issue rather than playing the ones I had

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

6472F1CE-AA95-4C1F-9035-BF89F1CB8132.png

:D 

That's made me laugh! Having a bit of a grumpy day today so nice to have something to smile at. Having to deal with a few idiot colleagues at a distance! Some of them are obviously home with people who can't work and so trying to shirk as much of their duties as possible! 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

:D 

That's made me laugh! Having a bit of a grumpy day today so nice to have something to smile at. Having to deal with a few idiot colleagues at a distance! Some of them are obviously home with people who can't work and so trying to shirk as much of their duties as possible! 

Great :)  Productive day for me then .. maybe not the rest of them ... used to find myself getting wound up by shirkers ... lockdown is a bit of relief from that 

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Great :)  Productive day for me then .. maybe not the rest of them ... used to find myself getting wound up by shirkers ... lockdown is a bit of relief from that 

Unfortunately lockdown has made it worse for me. The worst shirkers usually work in an office so normally I could have got my boss to tap on their shoulder but now they disappear for hours on end and I get saddled with their work! then they  make excuses about their system going really slow.  Homeworking is actually pretty good at highlighting who works hard and who doesn't. 

Starting to get to me now must admit.. Went to post box.. Big one at HQ.. Then dropped a pic off at friends as a moving in present then back home to watching the good place.... Fucking getting a bit agggg... 

Our Glastonbury Gang and partners are going to try staging a lockdown quiz night this evening via Zoom.  Five teams and each has to come up with two rounds of ten questions.  First challenge is to get Zoom working on Mrs GH's computer.