The Efestivals social distancing / self isolating support thread

Crazyfool01

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We have  been told that the plan is to have our dept working from home by a week on Friday.

This is going to sound odd, but this whole situation hasnt been "real" so far. Ive still gone to work. It has been to a large extent, business as usual.

I live on my own & I am now facing the reality of potentially seeing no one at all for weeks.... I wont lie, I have been dreading this.

Has anyone got any tips? I will have stuff to do with work... but the lack of interaction is concerning me. 

Hi Fuzz,

I currently haven't hung out socially in person with anyone for three weeks and one day, and I'm usually very social. How is it? Well, if you think about it too hard, it gets a bit upsetting. So my advice would be to try to avoid that! Luckily as I'm WFH I'm still busy. I think being furlonged if you lived alone would be worse. Skyping and calling people is essential, and as everyone is so bored they're keen to chat! I'm sure you've experienced the various novel things various friends are organising online (circuits, wine tasting, pub quizzes etc etc). 

However, I have discovered one thing. Usually skypes help a lot but sometimes they can make things worse. If there are too many people in a chat so you end up feeling like a spectator it's not great. Worse though is if there are a lot of couples (romantically or otherwise) and it becomes obvious that you are the only one by yourself. I've got a bit upset about that a couple of times after the call ended...particularly if I'm drunk or if we're doing something like a quiz that's better in a couple. This might not be the same for you of course, but good to be wary of it!

I also got into a routine. Usually I wake up early when I'm going to the office, but I was finding it really hard to crawl out of bed when I was only going as far as my desk. So my friend and I decided to both do a 25 mins yoga video in the morning at 7. That's really helped actually. I normally hate yoga, but just having a thing tonl get up for and having some communication first thing in the morning is really nice. 

Sorry...that post got a little longer than I expected. Hope it helps! 

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We have  been told that the plan is to have our dept working from home by a week on Friday.

This is going to sound odd, but this whole situation hasnt been "real" so far. Ive still gone to work. It has been to a large extent, business as usual.

I live on my own & I am now facing the reality of potentially seeing no one at all for weeks.... I wont lie, I have been dreading this.

Has anyone got any tips? I will have stuff to do with work... but the lack of interaction is concerning me. 

I always work from home so have some tips that I recommend. 

1. Get dressed. It might seem like a small thing and I have seen a lot of people rejoicing in being able to stay in PJ's etc but I think for mental health it's important to be able to separate day from night, work from hometime etc. 

2. Try and organise with work some calls and even better face time if possible. My boss and team are mostly based in Barcelona. They are on even stricter lockdown than us and most of them are used to being in the office so we had a team lunch from home one day last week. We chatted about what Netflix shows to watch etc and it was really nice to chat to some people. 

3. Organise Facetime with friends as well. 

4 Lots of entertainment online from free quizzes to gigs to theatre shows etc. Whatever you like ask and I'm sure people can help. 

5. Allow yourself to feel however you want to about it. Some people have found they actually enjoy having time to catch up on Netflix, some people feel trapped and hate not being able to go out much and some veer between the 2. However you feel is ok and understandable. Don't feel you have to be productive. Some days you might do loads, other days just read a book. It's all ok. 

Hope that helps! Most importantly reach out if you are struggling. There are lots of people in the same boat. I have a love/hate relationship with social media so I personally have been limiting my use of it but I know for others it can be a lifeline. If something irritates you find a way to block or mute it because it's easy to stew over things at the moment. 

Edited by gigpusher
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

1. Try and organise with work some calls and even better face time if possible. My boss and team are mostly based in Barcelona. They are on even stricter lockdown than us and most of them are used to being in the office so we had a team lunch from home one day last week. We chatted about what Netflix shows to watch etc and it was really nice to chat to some people. 

I'd agree with this. Our team at work have put in one virtual 20 min coffee break a day in everyone's diary. No one is obligated to go, but there's always some people who turn up and have a chat about whatever. Like gigpusher says, it's quite helpful. I tend now to often quickly Skype people rather than emailing them too...even just for a four minute chat. A lady on my team also just started doing a Thai Chi thing which is a bit random but a nice way to see people during the day. 

40 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'd agree with this. Our team at work have put in one virtual 20 min coffee break a day in everyone's diary. No one is obligated to go, but there's always some people who turn up and have a chat about whatever. Like gigpusher says, it's quite helpful. I tend now to often quickly Skype people rather than emailing them too...even just for a four minute chat. A lady on my team also just started doing a Thai Chi thing which is a bit random but a nice way to see people during the day. 

That's exactly what I set up for our team Sas, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Just to replicate those conversations you get when you go to make a cuppa and chat crap in the kitchen. Generally the same faces showing up, but it's there if anyone needs it.

17 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I'm lucky enough to be at home with Mrs Q (she might disagree on the lucky part) so not sure how much of this would help being on your tod, but I've been home a month now so I've got a couple of things I've found that work pretty well, hope they help!

We set alarms so that we're up, fed and working at the same time as if we were getting into the office.  So we get the benefit of more sleep as we aren't commuting, but we're still sticking to that normal start time. Same thing with taking lunch break and finishing for the day, like gigpusher said it's really good to keep structure!

We try to get our exercise in at the end of the day, so it provides that clear break between work time and evening. Again, if you know it's coming then it takes away that temptation to let work drift into the evening.

I try to look at the news in the morning, lunch, and just after I finish working, and then leave it alone. Ditto with the socials for anything that relates to "real world". So I'll come on here but just stick to things like the new music thread or chatting nonsense, none of the virus-related threads. Twitter I'll just use for bands & the like. And whatever you do, don't get sucked into reading the comments. It's juts depressing.

I'm trying to strike a balance between getting stuff done at home without setting an unachievable list of goals. So I've got a notepad where I scribble down literally anything I think of that I could get done while I'm home, everything from fixing the loose door handle on the bathroom to relearning the guitar.  I then stick them in a spreadsheet (I know, I know...) so I've got something I can refer back to, and I've split them into quick jobs (the door handle), ongoing jobs (keeping on top of the garden) and big jobs (decorating the bathroom).  I've then got a list I can dip into depending on how much time I've got, and pick something out that fits in the time I've got available and is something I fancy doing at that time.

Musically I'm trying (not every day) to listen to one classic (?) album I've never heard and one new album. 6Music is really good as the DJs are just lovely.

As far as keeping in touch with people goes, a mixture of whatsapp calls, zoo, skype, houseparty and all the rest of it. There's a group of us from uni that used to meet up for poker every now and then, so now we've got a weekly game on a Friday night using an app and a voice conf call number so we can chat shit as well.  Pub quizzes have been good, and generally anything that lets you behave like you would do normally.

You prob know your own mind, but I'm trying not to drink too much as I definitely get post-booze blues these days. Not avoiding it completely because fuck that, but I don't want to be in a permanent up and down either.

The headspace app has some good free stuff on there at the moment, and I try and do that 3 or 4 times a week. The full access is something like £45 for the year if you want to get it all.

I've started keeping a journal this year as well (before this kicked off), just as a way to dump thoughts onto paper.  It's not particularly coherent and it's not going to form the basis for a bestseller any time soon, but it can be a bit like talking to someone as writing down allows me to verbalise and then my brain can process.

The last one I've picked up from myself and talking to others is to accept you're going to feel a bit shit. Some days will be good, some will be bad. I've been up pretty consistently, but Sunday morning I could have just stayed under the duvet with the curtains shut. When it comes just roll with it, and you'll come back up the other side.

Hope some of that waffle is helpful :)

Edited by Quark

Thanks for the advice. @Sasperella,  @Quark @Yoghurt on a Stick @priest17 @gigpusher

I have ironically been put in charge of the move, so I have been running around trying to get a contact centre up & running for the last 2 days. 

As we are a financial institution, we have got to have a skeleton back office staff in the office. I have had a stroke of luck in so far as, I am a team manager. I have spoken to my boss & asked that for my mental health, "can I come into the office for 1 day per week?". She has agreed & said that if it will help, it's fine.

It's only 1 day per week, but it's some variety. It gets me out & allows me to see some "real" people!

I do speak to my family & friends quite a bit, but I need to do some more facetiming though.

I have ordered the Coldwar Steve "Harold" Jigsaw... which should pass the time. 

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully we can all get through this!

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thanks for the advice. @Sasperella,  @Quark @Yoghurt on a Stick @priest17 @gigpusher

I have ironically been put in charge of the move, so I have been running around trying to get a contact centre up & running for the last 2 days. 

As we are a financial institution, we have got to have a skeleton back office staff in the office. I have had a stroke of luck in so far as, I am a team manager. I have spoken to my boss & asked that for my mental health, "can I come into the office for 1 day per week?". She has agreed & said that if it will help, it's fine.

It's only 1 day per week, but it's some variety. It gets me out & allows me to see some "real" people!

I do speak to my family & friends quite a bit, but I need to do some more facetiming though.

Yes, we will. 

But what on earth is the  "Coldwar Steve "Harold" Jigsaw"???

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes, we will. 

I suspect it's this puzzle;

https://coldwarsteve.bigcartel.com/product/harold-jigsaw

That looks like a difficult one, but nowhere near as bad as the 'Hell Puzzle' created by a Japanese company which has 2000 pieces and is completely blank. It comes in a choice of either white or black.

52 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes, we will. 

Do you not know of Coldwar Steve? (He had a massive billboard up at the festival last year, past the park stage)

He does modern art masterpieces!!

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/jun/15/cold-war-steve-satire-is-my-antidote-to-a-scary-world-interview

I'm a soppy bastard at heart. 

Want evidence?

Wishing you all, all the best in this fucking caper.

It's good to see people coming together though, isn't it? I know it' Scary Mary times right now, but I so wish that something good comes out of this. I'm not being soppy now though, as I mean this - this is an education, and possibly an introduction in to how things could be long time. If we go back to the way we were, then we collectively will be considered the biggest bunch of bell ends that were ever noted in history. I don't mind taking the force of the bomb on that one, as, let's face it, they've probably got a lot of evidence! That leaves you lot to do the deed.  We could hand over to the youth a world we could only dream of. I'll buy in to that parting shot.

9 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Anyone struggling to keep themselves busy, invest in a PC/Console and an online RPG. I’ve completely forgotten what the outside world is. 

Not quite the same but I've gotten back into the Sims in a big way..

The Sims don't have to stay inside. They can go to bars, and to parks and cycle around on their bikes.. and there's a first person camera so after a while it can almost feel like I am going to bars and to parks and.. 🙃

I am existing in a strange reality.  I am still going to work and that work is much more stressful than normal (NHS).  But when I get home that world is rather nice. We live in the country, it's been nice weather and it all seems very pleasant.  But no pubs. Or live music.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Next week will be week 6 of working from home now and I live alone. I normally don't mind being on my own for long periods but apart from two unavoidable trips into work I've seen nobody for 4 weeks now. Honestly I don't mind. I talk to friends or family on skype every day between that and work stuff it's keeping me going so far though I do sometimes miss proper social interaction, especially at the weekends. Hopeful of a gradual return to normality starting 3 weeks from now if the government here are too be believed if it wasn't for that small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel I think id definitely be struggling by now.

Maybe I've already gone mad and I just haven't realised? I've definitely started talking to myself more.

I've actually liked working from home, in my office it can get quite annoying with people moaning about room temperature or what not. I like that I can get on, if I want some music or a podcast on I can do that, better choices of lunches being right by my kitchen too. There are some downsides such as usage of utilities and ergonomic desk set-up but for the main I am liking working from home.

Don't get me wrong, I miss seeing people from my personal life and I'll be happy with restrictions are relaxed. At least I can find some positives from the situation.

As a team leader, I've organised two Teams sessions per day. The first one is strictly business and limited to 20 minutes max, the second one in the afternoon doesn't have a time limit and is basically anything goes where we all catch up with each other, discuss how we're feeling and generally have a laugh (at the moment, we're comparing length of hair as nobody can get out to have it cut :)). There's also a further meeting late on Friday afternoon where we all briefly meet up with a drink in our hands and have a bit of a social. 

I think that's helping everyone keep in touch and relieve some of the isolation.

23 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have just watched the Tiger King. 7 episodes in a day.

Never binge watched anything to that degree before... My god. 

Lockdown is nothing on that.

They uploaded another episode today where the dude from community interviews key people from it, it's alright.