The Efestivals social distancing / self isolating support thread

Crazyfool01

24 minutes ago, Quark said:

All your fault @northernringo. I'll see you all in about 6 months...

IMG-20200327-WA0016.jpeg

Looks class, I'll have to get mine back out and start updating it a little.

Very interested in the controllers! My PS4 controller was good on the whole (pretty much perfect for PS1 games which was the main reason I made the emulator) but for the older console games it wasn't ideal. May look into buying one of those controllers for that. Did you get it on Amazon?

14 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Looks class, I'll have to get mine back out and start updating it a little.

Very interested in the controllers! My PS4 controller was good on the whole (pretty much perfect for PS1 games which was the main reason I made the emulator) but for the older console games it wasn't ideal. May look into buying one of those controllers for that. Did you get it on Amazon?

Nope, ordered it all through Pi Hut. https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-usb-accessories/products/raspberry-pi-compatible-usb-gamepad-controller-snes-style

I've got a wireless receiver on order from PC World, so when that turns up I should be able to connect my Xbox controllers. If it all works as planned I'll be investing in a proper arcade style stick for the MAME games. 

Edited by Quark

58 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nope, ordered it all through Pi Hut. https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-usb-accessories/products/raspberry-pi-compatible-usb-gamepad-controller-snes-style

I've got a wireless receiver on order from PC World, so when that turns up I should be able to connect my Xbox controllers. If it all works as planned I'll be investing in a proper arcade style stick for the MAME games. 

Sweet, keep the updates coming in this thread :) 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I shall be live streaming. Follow my Twitter page if you want to see a 40 year old man fling a controller across the room because he still can't beat Ghosts and fucking Goblins

(I won't really. The streaming part. I'll definitely be losing my rag with games that made me cry with frustration as a child)

I’ve played a few games from my youth recently... They were a lot harder back then.

5 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Who's in this alone? Haven't interacted properly with anyone since last Tuesday. Started to go a bit mental

Alone in terms of me living alone yea ... sas too .. lots of friends that have offered help too ... keep talking on here or elsewhere ... what’s your general situation ? 

Yeah just living alone atm, having plenty of facetimes etc. Think I'm just missing the pub and gym more than anything tbh!

Only type of physical conversation I've had is with the checkout people in Asda and that's from a distance. What a weird situation this is

1 minute ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yeah just living alone atm, having plenty of facetimes etc. Think I'm just missing the pub and gym more than anything tbh!

Only type of physical conversation I've had is with the checkout people in Asda and that's from a distance. What a weird situation this is

im completely the same ... u got any forms of exercise going on instead ? Im trying to use the rough time im at the gym to be doing some home exercise ... or at least going for a walk while I can .... ive also ordered a hacky sack and skipping rope  that im going to be using in the communal garden and ive set up my bike on a turbo trainer .... lots of hints and tips over in the exercise for Glastonbury thread too 

51 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Chin up pal, we’re nearly one week down. Won’t be too much longer.

7 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I am 99% certain I have Coronavirus and have been nursing myself through it since Sunday. I thought I would share this as it may be useful/interesting for some who may be suffering from anxiety and fear of catching this fucking thing. I'm not after sympathy or up votes, just want to share my personal experience.

My other half has had the same experience as I have, but is a few days ahead of me. Her symptoms started last Wednesday (18th March), so we have both been self isolating at home since then. She is a school teacher so we think she picked it up in school then passed it on to me. We are both fit and healthy with no underlying health issues.

We have had all of the symptoms, with the exception of shortness of breath. Heres a bit of a run down of the week for me:

Sunday - New dry cough appeared, got worse as the day progressed.

Monday - Cough got worse. At around midday I felt like crap and could barely even sit up straight. Checked my temperature and it was  38C. Took a lemsip, went to bed and died for about 5 hours. Spent the rest of the evening in bed.

Tuesday - Temp still high, aches and pains in every muscle in my body.  Really really dizzy throughout the day. Skin was crawling, even just clothes touching it was uncomfortable. Stayed in bed all day. Zero energy. Cough subsiding.

Wednesday - Aches and pains worse, temp up 38.2C, dizziness on another level. Eyes were sore, but I can't explain how they felt in words. Stayed in bed all day. Skin still crawling and really sensitive to the touch. Zero energy.

Thursday - Aches and pains subsided a bit, temp still up at 38C, skin not so sensitive anymore. Eyes still sore. Felt a bit better in the morning but deteriorated as the day progressed. Developed the worst headache I have ever experienced at about 10.30pm last night and suffered all night long. I never get headaches, and if I do, 1 paracetamol sorts it. Not this time. Zero energy.

Today - Still have a banging headache, it won't go away. Temperature down a bit but still higher than usual (37.4C). Feel a bit better, but far from 100%. Eyes not so sore today, but still have zero energy and have been lying on the sofa all day. Reckon it'll be a few days before I start to feel any way normal. Cough is gone. Other half, who was about 4 days ahead of me, feels almost back to normal.

I've got through the week on a combination of lemsip and paracetamol. Best advice I can give is to stay topped up on medication, stay hydrated, try to eat as healthily as you can and sleep/rest as much as possible. It has been a horrible week but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If this is coronavirus, and it may not be, I am thankful that I have had a moderate reaction to it. Stay safe people and stay at home!

Hi Dave, thanks for posting. Sorry to hear it was horrible but glad you’re on the way to feeling better. 

12 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Not tht i know of! Hopefully if its repeated next week at the same time! More people will come out and show their appreciation! 💙

So you were clapping to yourself then? My wife and I sent the nurse on our street a bunch of flowers.
i get the clapping thing when it’s spontaneous and there’s someone there to receive it, but as a planned thing to nobody in particular is just bizarre, there are far more tangible and useful ways to thank your local NHS staff, flowers, thank you notes, volunteering, etc. 
this organised clapping thing seems to be more about stroking the egos of those doing it than thanking the NHS staff. It’s incredibly narcissistic.

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

So you were clapping to yourself then? My wife and I sent the nurse on our street a bunch of flowers.
i get the clapping thing when it’s spontaneous and there’s someone there to receive it, but as a planned thing to nobody in particular is just bizarre, there are far more tangible and useful ways to thank your local NHS staff, flowers, thank you notes, volunteering, etc. 
this organised clapping thing seems to be more about stroking the egos of those doing it than thanking the NHS staff. It’s incredibly narcissistic.

Wow! Not a response I expected!! On a thread which is meant to be supportive! ! Im sure the nurse in your street appreciated the flowers you were able to give her! Narcissistic is a strong word and furthermore I shouldnt have to justify my reasons for clapping on my own or alongside others! 💙  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smeble said:

oh, it gets worse - the people who post vids on social meeja of themselves clapping. ;) 

But I do think it has a bit of value all the same, from a sense of solidarity and community. Just as an example we have a rather annoying family living nearby, and I look on them a bit differently now because they were outside clapping.

Edited by eFestivals

20 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I am 99% certain I have Coronavirus and have been nursing myself through it since Sunday. I thought I would share this as it may be useful/interesting for some who may be suffering from anxiety and fear of catching this fucking thing. I'm not after sympathy or up votes, just want to share my personal experience.My other half has had the same experience as I have, but is a few days ahead of me................

.........I've got through the week on a combination of lemsip and paracetamol. Best advice I can give is to stay topped up on medication, stay hydrated, try to eat as healthily as you can and sleep/rest as much as possible. It has been a horrible week but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If this is coronavirus, and it may not be, I am thankful that I have had a moderate reaction to it. Stay safe people and stay at home!

Thanks for posting Dave, it is interesting to know what (a likely) covid 19 experience is. Hopefully you and the good lady are feeling slightly better today. Keep us posted if anything changes. Cheers

Edited by chuckles07

12 hours ago, Smeble said:

I get what you are saying but I genuinely do think people are thankful for what the NHS (and all other service) workers are doing for us. And the feeling of solidarity is very important right now, the more ways we can come together, however tenuously, the better. TBF this is what Glastonbury is also about.  So I would be a little more generous. Take care. 

• Upvote 1

Day 14 of self-isolation since I bizarrely had gastric flu......

5 sleeps till we exchange, compete and move house. Currently still on as all parties are happy to proceed. Everyone involved is working from home in isolation.

The exception is the removal company who we spent a hour on the phone to yesterday putting in all the required safety strategies. I think we have all the safety issues covered. 

We are doing all the packing ourselves and are literally moving 1km by road or abiut 400m by footpath. We can literally see the new house from our rooftop. We will basically be watching from inside our car and “helping” via phone. 

Once they have unloaded and left, we are into full wipe down mode.

If it falls through we are absolutely financially fucked coz we already bought the new house (in Jan) by taking a measured short term financial risk when the housing market was buoyant ... but we didn’t foresee the lockdown and crash and we need to complete the process. 

The current occupant of the new house (our tenant) is leaving it empty this week and as we already own it, we can pre-clean it before we move in. He is a self builder and is moving to his caravan to complete his next self build using the money he made on his old house. 

Our buyers are planning to pre-clean our house before they move in.

It’s such a hugely complicated decision but I think are are taking the care to do everything safely. 

Edited by ian the worm