OK, so not Glastonbury related, but...............

Yoghurt on a Stick

3 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Is it something tht is going to happen every night at 8pm! We were not sure!! 

..... @eFestivals any chance of a name change .... something like support the NHS ? if thats ok with @Yoghurt on a Stick ? just might make it a bit more obvious to those we are thanking  ... apparently not then :( 

Edited by crazyfool1

Our street did good.. 

Clapping for All those that deserve it.. But especially my daughter in law who's in charge of the team cleaning up the hospital after these covid19 patients go through.....

There wasnt anything around here.

My main point is not aimed at the people on this forum. It's a left leaning, labour forum so it's pretty like minded. I would just like an opinion.

It all felt very hollow to me. The country has voted in a party who have ripped the NHS apart, through years of cuts, Jeremy Hunt's & the rest... but now they'll stand outside and clap.

Should have voted Labour a few more elections & sat in their houses tonight... in my opinion of course!

Im saying that as someone who is good friends with doctors & nurses. My mum works in respite adult care & my grandma was a nurse of 50 years. The NHS is the county's pride & joy. 

It needs protecting, not a clap.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My main point is not aimed at the people on this forum. It's a left leaning, labour forum so it's pretty like minded. I would just like an opinion.

It all felt very hollow to me. The country has voted in a party who have ripped the NHS apart, through years of cuts, Jeremy Hunt's & the rest... but now they'll stand outside and clap.

Should have voted Labour a few more elections & sat in their houses tonight... in my opinion of course!

Im saying that as someone who is good friends with doctors & nurses. My mum works in restbite adult care & my grandma was a nurse of 50 years. The NHS is the county's pride & joy. 

totally agree with the sentiment ... but its more about the people working for the NHS than anything the government has done in the past ...seeing some of the reactions it was worth it ... not the nurses and doctors fault the underfunding .... but im saying that as someone with a clear concience ..... 

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im saying that as someone who is good friends with doctors & nurses. My mum works in restbite adult care & my grandma was a nurse of 50 years. The NHS is the county's pride & joy. 

But the reason labour didn't get elected, by working class people and others, is that they have gradually moved away from supporting the working class  and public services of this country to taking on obscure "civil rights" issues of LGBTetc, asylum seekers, minority religions (except jews it would seem), and missing the core value that any political party should have, that is, representing the people that put them into power, the fact that the public voted for Boris says all you need to know about the modern Labour party.

• Like 1

And just in case anyone misunderstands my point above, what LABOUR should be prioritizing (and there's a clue in the name) is zero hour contracts, the non-payment of holiday pay (by adding on pence per hour worked which is illegal), lack of entitled breaks, and other tricks which employers use at the lower end of the income scale to deprive workers of their rights. Rights which they are CURRENTLY entitled to and which many of them do not get. Labour made a big issue of the potential loss of european workers right via Brexit but they don't seem so keen to support workers who are being denied their rights now. Most Labour MPs are middle class and university educated, they don't have any idea what working class life is like.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

But the reason labour didn't get elected, by working class people and others, is that they have gradually moved away from supporting the working class  and public services of this country to taking on obscure "civil rights" issues of LGBTetc, asylum seekers, minority religions (except jews it would seem), and missing the core value that any political party should have, that is, representing the people that put them into power, the fact that the public voted for Boris says all you need to know about the modern Labour party.

One of Labour's most known slogan's from the last election campaign was 'Save the NHS'.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, sdvruxk said:

One of Labour's most known slogan's from the last election campaign was 'Save the NHS'.

Pity it was further down the list of priorities than "climate jobs" and "free broadband", the point is people didn't like the overall message the Labour party was putting out (or didn't trust them to deliver) and so we got Boris.

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im saying that as someone who is good friends with doctors & nurses. My mum works in respite adult care & my grandma was a nurse of 50 years. The NHS is the county's pride & joy. 

As someone watching from afar I do have some sympathy with this viewpoint Fuzzy. When I watched the video clips last night it did warm my heart and I think, at times like this, these small acts of kindness do mean a lot. However, when I saw Johnson traipsing out of No10 to join in it wound me right up. Particularly as you know that, in our trial-by-media society, folk will have been sat our their sofas watching that going 'ah, look at Boris supporting our doctors and nurses, isn't that lovely'.

Couldn't agree more with your last sentence and if it does end up being Kier Starmer as the next leader I hope he's not above politicising last night in order to protect the NHS.

40 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Particularly as you know that, in our trial-by-media society, folk will have been sat our their sofas watching that going 'ah, look at Boris supporting our doctors and nurses, isn't that lovely'.

I have seen that on facebook. I ended up having a rant on there about it all.

I got a DM calling me "miserable" & "at times like these, the country needs to come together". 

I also had a message from my mate who is a pretty high ranking Doctor at a London hospital. Ive blanked the name of the hospital out to protect his anonymity.

20200327_072119.jpg

I am not saying the intentions of the people clapping are anything other than pure (well most people), but hollow is the best way to describe it.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am not saying the intentions of the people clapping are anything other than pure (well most people), but hollow is the best way to describe it.

I don't particularly disagree, but I think lines like this are a bad thing and not a good thing.

Currently the whole country is on-side with the NHS, and it would be better if we worked to keep it that way rather than be divisive and perhaps cause things to go back to how they were.

There's a chance here for the country to change, even for the tories to change. Let's make sure that change happens.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

There's a chance here for the country to change, even for the tories to change. Let's make sure that change happens.

What I've maintained from the start is that this crisis will expose the best and  worst of us for who we are, as well as show the country just who adds value to the United Kingdom. It's not the billionaires, the corporations, the CEOs or 'wealth creators'.  its the people who keep this country running on a daily basis, who care for our loved ones, who put others before themselves.

My only hope is that we will all remember this for many years

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't particularly disagree, but I think lines like this are a bad thing and not a good thing.

Currently the whole country is on-side with the NHS, and it would be better if we worked to keep it that way rather than be divisive and perhaps cause things to go back to how they were.

I don't disagree in the main with that. Maybe it is my cynical nature which clouds my view. 

Hopefully that positive change does happen.

It's a nice sentiment and all that but looking at Gary Linekers smug face clapping into a camera while he cashes in 2.2 mill a year from the BBC pisses me off a bit. It would be great if all these celebs etc stopped singing Imagine on Instagram, or clapping, and just donate a shed load of money for ventilators, masks, etc - something the Eaavi did by donating their bacterial hand santisier FOR FREE. 

Anyone see Madonna's bullshit in the bath moaning about corona being the "great equaliser?". These people live in a different world, how much is she worth? How much could she make a difference by giving up half of her 500 million net worth and still live a life 99% of the population couldn't even dream of. These people, honestly... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Maybe, just maybe, this was the people of our country just saying 'Thank you' to our NHS staff. No politics. No angles. No alternative agendas. Just ' Thank you'.

Upvoted! Very true! It was a thank you! And if we can do it every night every week! Then Im In!!! 👏🏻👏🏻

On 3/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, gizmoman said:

Don't want to get into it, and this isn't really the thread for it, but the Labour Party, and the labour movement generally, have always been at the forefront of campaigning for "obscure civil rights"^.  I remember meetings in the 80's passing motions criticising Section 28, organising to support asylum seekers etc.  Fighting for universal rights has always been a priority of the labour movement.  Also, those "LGBTetc, asylum seeker, minority religions" are often part of the working class, and suffer alongside the rest of us, and have supported the workers - this revisionist bullshit that fighting for rights is a new thing needs to stop.

^ and they're not really obscure or 'scare quotes' civil rights - this is exactly how people described the fight for women's rights / gay rights / anti-race discrimination in the past.

Edited by jfaragher

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

Don't want to get into it, and this isn't really the thread for it, but the Labour Party, and the labour movement generally, have always been at the forefront of campaigning for "obscure civil rights"^.  I remember meetings in the 80's passing motions criticising Section 28, organising to support asylum seekers etc.  Fighting for universal rights has always been a priority of the labour movement.  Also, those "LGBTetc, asylum seeker, minority religions" are often part of the working class, and suffer alongside the rest of us, and have supported the workers - this revisionist bullshit that fighting for rights is a new thing needs to stop.

^ and they're not really obscure or 'scare quotes' civil rights - this is exactly how people described the fight for women's rights / gay rights / anti-race discrimination in the past.

yea, I don't usually mention politics on here but i'd had a few drinks when i wrote that so you can take that into account if you like!  I don't have an issue with promoting minority rights but the party at the moment seem to think that is the primary concern of the nation and it really isn't,  hence the election result.