Life is shit, but one of the best ever episodes of The Simpsons in on Channel 4 now!

The Red Telephone

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I'm not gonna lie, if I had the time to be blasting through a series this week I just found out the 90s spiderman cartoons are included with Disney+ so I'd have to go through that before the simpsons episodes I've seen 10+ times each. 

Maybe this wasn't the thread to share that ahah.

Just now, HeyPorter said:

Also, 90s X-Men cartoon is on there. I didn’t expect to get this spoilt with it already. 
Simpsons marathon in chronological order will happen soon. 

Shit. I had no plans to get D+ but this is pulling me towards the idea

If they add in Spider Man and his Amazing Friends that might tip me over the edge

1 minute ago, HeyPorter said:

Also, 90s X-Men cartoon is on there. I didn’t expect to get this spoilt with it already. 
Simpsons marathon in chronological order will happen soon. 

Yeah I'll get there with them all being in a nice package but I've got loads of them on dvd and downloaded (in the correct aspect no less...) So there's other bits to cover first.

I am freelance/self employed though so not really reached relax with Disney+ yet (even if technically I have shit all to do)

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

For Simpsons obsessives like me this is a really good read...

https://www.avclub.com/c/tv-review/the-simpsons-classic

Basically a detailed piece on every single episode from the first 10 series, some reviews are better than others depending on the writer. A couple fall into the trap of just explaining why obvious jokes are funny, but some of them are really good, offering nice little insights on the writing, personal perspectives and even pointing out the odd joke you may have missed.

Well worth a look for big fans.

Cheers.

Some reading for the ride home from work

Edit - @Hugh Jass - only read a couple of them. Crepes of Wrath & Homer's night out. Some good stuff there. That'll keep me amused for a while. Thanks.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Cheers.

Some reading for the ride home from work

Edit - @Hugh Jass - only read a couple of them. Crepes of Wrath & Homer's night out. Some good stuff there. That'll keep me amused for a while. Thanks.

Some are better than others but when they start getting into the golden era (seasons 3-8) there’s some great stuff in there.

14 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Some are better than others but when they start getting into the golden era (seasons 3-8) there’s some great stuff in there.

The Golden Era is always said to be S3-8, but there are some amazing episodes in season 2. Lisa's Substitute, Bart Gets an F, Homer and Delilah, Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish are all great episodes. After Season 8 or maybe 9 the good episode become less frequent but are still there at times (even up to the latest season, they occasionally pull something out of the bag).

Controversial opinion, but I do like quite a few episodes in S10-16. I'm aware its not got anything on the 2-9 run, but I will still laugh along and be amused by enough episodes. I thought S17 and 18 were weak because of focus on the movie, which is pretty strong, but it just got more and more zombie-like thereafter.

Not sure I'm that tempted to splash out on Disney+ for the entire back catalogue though. Although that is a strong selling point, plus the fact that unlike Channel 4 its not censored. Get Futurama on there as well and we're in business.

48 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Controversial opinion, but I do like quite a few episodes in S10-16. I'm aware its not got anything on the 2-9 run, but I will still laugh along and be amused by enough episodes. I thought S17 and 18 were weak because of focus on the movie, which is pretty strong, but it just got more and more zombie-like thereafter.

Not sure I'm that tempted to splash out on Disney+ for the entire back catalogue though. Although that is a strong selling point, plus the fact that unlike Channel 4 its not censored. Get Futurama on there as well and we're in business.

Futurama is on Amazon Prime right now, but I imagine it’ll cross over once that deal ends.

2 hours ago, NerdsNatterings said:

The Golden Era is always said to be S3-8, but there are some amazing episodes in season 2. Lisa's Substitute, Bart Gets an F, Homer and Delilah, Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish are all great episodes. After Season 8 or maybe 9 the good episode become less frequent but are still there at times (even up to the latest season, they occasionally pull something out of the bag).

I'll take 2 over 8 even though 8 still is pretty great. 

In fact, my order would be:

5>4>6>7>3>2>8>1>>9 

I stopped watching at S10 

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Every series post 10 has at least one or two episodes that are absolute gold.

For example:

Simple Simpson (Pie Man)

Eternal moonshine of the Simpson

Donnie Fatso

Behind the Laughter

Homer v Dignity

Weekend at Burnsies

Poppas Got a Brand New Badge

Fraudcast News

Seemingly never ending story

Lisa Goes Gaga

5 hours ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Season 2 I consider to be a brilliant series. Lisa's Substitute is one of the best episodes ever. Would make my top 15.

1. Marge vs. The Monorail 

2. Homer's Enemy

3. A Fish Called Selma

4. You Only Move Twice

5. Lisa the Vegetarian

6. A Streetcar Named Marge

7. Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk

8. Lisa's Wedding 

9 . El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)

10. Mother Simpson

God this was harder than I thought, honourable mentions to: Marge Be Not Proud, Three Men and a Comic Book, Mr. Plow, Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Who Shot Mr. Burns, Bart vs. Australia and countless others. A list of the best Simpsons episodes changes all the time.