IF things calm down, will anybody else still go to Glastonbury?

OffshoreToon

5 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

As in the town, the Tor, and maybe some of the site. I know it's a big if, but if the country is in better shape around the time, surely there'll still be a celebration?

Nope. If things have calmed down, it'll all be relative.  Things will just be less nuts than now, but still nowhere near normal. And that's a big if at the moment.

And even if that is the case, the last thing the local authority or services need is an impromptu large gathering, however well intentioned or celebratory it may be. 

Love the idea, but we're going to have to ease ourselves back into normal life over a long period of time by the looks of things :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Not to be a total downer, but to be honest I can see Emily and Michael urging people not to do this. Could get out of hand quite quickly.

Probably right, we’ve got four nights non refundable premier inn, Glastonbury booked prior to festival dates so depending on how things are we might still visit the town, Street, Wells etc. 

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Probably right, we’ve got four nights non refundable premier inn, Glastonbury booked prior to festival dates so depending on how things are we might still visit the town, Street, Wells etc. 

Taunton ... ? Or I’ll come and say hello :) 

• Upvote 1

I love the idea but I don't think it will have calmed down by then and even if it has I don't want to get the Eavis's into trouble with the locals... 

Edited by sime

3 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

As in the town, the Tor, and maybe some of the site. I know it's a big if, but if the country is in better shape around the time, surely there'll still be a celebration?

I do like to have a pre-festival visit to the town, and the farm. I can’t see the country being much different in June to how it is now though. If it was, then certainly maybe. I’ve still got the leave booked I guess.

8 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, I think it would be only fair on the local population for no one or very few to go down to the Pilton, until such time as we're clearly back in a safe position nationally.

True, make do at the moment with the webcam and regular updates from bigdog and @deebeedoobee

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Sit tight on that - If it gets worse and hotels etc are forced to  close then Premier Inn will  refund you.

Or Bookings may fall off the cliff and they may consider its not worth them financially keeping the hotel open so they will  cancel and refund you.

Edited by ivan

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Have you checked the non refundable part of this out. We (YHA) have relaxed the rules on our non refundable bookings, essentially making them the same terms as normal bookings. I'd imagine others are doing the same

10 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Have you checked the non refundable part of this out. We (YHA) have relaxed the rules on our non refundable bookings, essentially making them the same terms as normal bookings. I'd imagine others are doing the same

Cheers, will check. We paid up front on the cheaper option rather than the other dearer pay on arrival option.  To be honest this isn’t all that important considering the crisis we are currently facing. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'd love to go to the town during the 'off season', experience a bit of the site without the build and see what the area's like. I'd be tempted to do it in the Autumn, is that a good time?

I guess the advice is to wait and see what measures are in place at the time .... the railway track in Autumn would be lovely I would think :) 

8 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

Bet you meet Chris Martin at the top of the Tor........

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Cheers, will check. We paid up front on the cheaper option rather than the other dearer pay on arrival option.  To be honest this isn’t all that important considering the crisis we are currently facing. 

True. I think a fair number of our guests are choosing not to take the refund (although if it's a promo price it'll generally be pretty cheap) or take the refund then donate some or all of it back to us with gift aid. Which is much nicer than usual. I've been screamed at before now by people upset that they are going to lose the cost of their £8 dorm bed

I'd love nothing more to turn up and camp with everyone in a field somewhere nearby, couple of crates of beer, some music - at risk of the police shutting it down quickly as an illegal rave. But as others have said probably unwise. And would be rather unwelcome from local residents I'd imagine.

8 hours ago, jparx said:

Not to be a total downer, but to be honest I can see Emily and Michael urging people not to do this. Could get out of hand quite quickly.

I agree, when all sed and done it is a working diary farm! The local area has some beautiful walks and towns to explore! If things have improved the local business will probably welcome visitors! 
take care of yourselves and each other

46 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I'd love nothing more to turn up and camp with everyone in a field somewhere nearby, couple of crates of beer, some music - at risk of the police shutting it down quickly as an illegal rave. But as others have said probably unwise. And would be rather unwelcome from local residents I'd imagine.

Sadly, it sounds like a good way to spread the virus.