Here’s a theory...

GrumpyRaver

So, what if Emily knew that the festival, realistically, was going to be cancelled before releasing the poster, and only included acts she had already received guarantees that they’d appear next year instead.  Could explain the slightly left field Fatboy Slim placement, and explain why a host of acts we thought were shoe ins for the poster (Aerosmith, Gwen Stefani, Etc) weren’t on it...

1 hour ago, whitehorses said:

It’s a nice, but maybe fanciful, idea. 

Edit: Would feel a bit boring knowing that much of the poster 15 months in advance no? 

I was thinking the same about the suggestion that they’d release the lineup on the days that the festival should have been on this year, not knowing who’s playing is all part of the excitement isn’t it. 

Saying that I reckon there’s gonna be loads there next year that were due to be there this year. 

Edited by lukethekid

I would say its a stronger theory that once the poster was released she started to work on a contingency plan and talked to the headliners and highly billed artists on what they would like to do if it was 2021. Not in any way ask for a guarantee from those ~100 acts that theyre locked in for a follow up year.

5 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I was thinking the same about the suggestion that they’d release the lineup on the days that the festival should have been on this year, not knowing who’s playing is all part of the excitement isn’t it. 

Saying that I reckon there’s gonna be loads there next year that were due to be there this year. 

Agree, there’ll be lots of overspill into 2021. 2021 is gonna be epic! 

51 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd assume the big European tours that helped them secure artists like Taylor, Kendrick, Diana Ross etc will largely be moved to next summer anyway.

That’s my thinking.

Essentially the whole world is going to move plans to next year.

We can then just erase 2020 from memory!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I would say its a stronger theory that once the poster was released she started to work on a contingency plan and talked to the headliners and highly billed artists on what they would like to do if it was 2021. Not in any way ask for a guarantee from those ~100 acts that theyre locked in for a follow up year.

Not a bad idea. So the headliners will have pressure from their fans to do it again.

Nice.

14 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I reckon it was nothing more than the announcement was scheduled for that day, and they felt that if the festival was going to cancel they might as well put it out there as validation for the work they'd put in.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

When he awakes from hibernation and emerges from the Rabbit Hole in June he is going to be surprised at the empty fields around him.

Returning back into his hole to wake up next year. 

He could always share a warm can of cider with Chris Martin before going back into hibernation

Sorry, can’t buy into the theory at all, any positives (I’m not sure there are any, as we know it’s not as if they’re struggling to sell tickets with the rollover) are outweighed by the negatives of looking a little foolish and premature in releasing a line up for an event highly likely not to happen.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon it was nothing more than the announcement was scheduled for that day, and they felt that if the festival was going to cancel they might as well put it out there as validation for the work they'd put in.

I would agree with you on that for sure. But if we are discussing what potentially came right after, it wouldn't be too far fetched for them not to start being proactive while everything started to mount so quickly.

Edited by Suprefan

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Sorry, can’t buy into the theory at all, any positives (I’m not sure there are any, as we know it’s not as if they’re struggling to sell tickets with the rollover) are outweighed by the negatives of looking a little foolish and premature in releasing a line up for an event highly likely not to happen.

I mean what does it actually matter now anyway? 

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I think we all got led down a path by our government for a while that it wasn’t that bad and they had a way of dealing with things that wouldn’t necessarily impact things like Glastonbury. It is such an amazing lineup which they must have worked incredibly hard on. I do not think it was foolish or premature to release it and I don’t blame them one bit for doing so.