Classic Glastonbury Performances

stuartbert two hats

On 3/18/2020 at 5:01 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I wouldn't send me a PM.

I would also be curious.  I had a cracking collection of stuff ripped from Iplayer over the last decade and lost it all to a hard drive crash.

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That last half hour of pop bangers from The Cure was as big a rush of euphoria as I've known for many a moon.

I thought the whole set was stupendous, there was such an air of good feeling for the whole show, lovely time.  I developed something of a crush on Bob, I have to confess.

I wish I could track down a clip of the performance I'd love to share, that really sticks with me through the years as a beautiful moment, but it's from the James set opening Other in 2016 and lost to the mists of time.  Moving on, with the poetic introduction from Tim struck my heart strings.  This is the closest thing I've got:

Edited by Spindles

Have to say The Cure last year as I’m listening to it constantly. Fantastic light show, the best sound I’ve ever heard on the Pyramid. Took a last minute decision to go with company instead of Janelle on my own. One of the best last minute change of plans I’ve ever made.

I was a proper casual Cure fan but I knew Pictures of You, which took my breath away a couple of times (the change in key (I think) at about 2 minutes sticks in the mind, then later on ‘There is nothing in the world I ever wanted more....’). Then I knew Lovesong which was great. I didn’t know Burn or Fascination Street but they were amazing. I was properly getting carried away with it by this stage. Not dancing or even singing along, just taking it in and becoming more and more awestruck.

Then the pop trio in the middle (Push-In between Days-Just Like Heaven) got everyone moving and clapping and singing. From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea I didn’t know very well but wow. Then I admit I went for a pee, but I was back for Shake Dog Shake. From the opening drum riff and crash of Guitar and the blinding lights the power behind it was incredible. Then Disintegration, which I’m increasingly certain is the single best performance of a song I’ve ever seen by anyone. In 25 years of gig going and 8 Glastonbury’s. I’ve listened to it hundreds of times since and it gets better and better.

And I haven’t even got to the encore yet....

Edited by MEGABOWL
Typo mania
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/18/2020 at 5:12 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Fond memories of trying to dance/bounce to this in the mud when the drop comes at around 2:12

I've seen them 24 times (big fan...) and that set is one of my favourites. I was right down the front (and ended up on telly) and loved every second. 

16 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Not to keep harping on about The Cure, but this was something that truly translated in the air that night.

We're all conditioned to see a 'good' crowd as people raised on shoulders, singalongs, waves of pogoing dancers. The Cure's set was rare in that the crowd was fairly static, but the appreciation for the set was getting more and more pronounced as it went on. An expanse of people sucked into what they were doing on stage, even for the sprawling dark ones. Then, the release of joy in the encore was spine-tingling, and a wave of wet eyes when Bobby struggled to hold it together at the close of 'Boys Don't Cry.'

Wish the Beeb had dropped the requirement to constantly film the crowd every few seconds. Loads of shots of kids and parents totally in the zone, crushing on their goth overlords hard, transfixed. It's not the same as when Blur or Muse step up.

It was mass hypnotism, musically and atmospherically, and that's why it was so exceptional an experience.

Hypnotism is a great way of putting it, so is exceptional. I normally watch the crowd a lot, I love the atmosphere at these big Pyramid gigs (Blur, Stevie, Stones etc.) and seeing the crowd reaction. The Cure was different, I was more absorbed in the music than normal at a Pyramid headliner and while I wasnt watching the crowd, it felt like everyone around me was the same. Certainly not many people leaving. And then so emotional at the end.

I'm with John Robb on this one

https://louderthanwar.com/10-reasons-why-the-cure-glastonbury-20129/

If ever the difference between this forum and the general public needed to be shown, in the World Cup of Glastonbury Headliners thang on Twitter, McCartney is already out, The Stones are just about holding off Oasis, Blur, Chemical Bros & Neil Young are all having their ass whupped by Arctic Monkeys and Coldplay 11 is being trounced by Kasabian.

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

If ever the difference between this forum and the general public needed to be shown, in the World Cup of Glastonbury Headliners thang on Twitter, McCartney is already out, The Stones are just about holding off Oasis, Blur, Chemical Bros & Neil Young are all having their ass whupped by Arctic Monkeys and Coldplay 11 is being trounced by Kasabian.

Macca might be a bit of an outlier though given he's gone out to what I wager will be the eventual winner.

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

I watched all the bbc highlights montages of the years I've been to (09, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19) fuck we've been treated eh? 10 and 14 clearly the best ones - montage wise. Interpol 14 is so beautiful but the context adds a lot (fuck you storms)

Is there a YouTube playlist or something?

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Huge Thingy follower cull required if Kasabian carry off the trophy.

8 hours ago, priest17 said:

I watched all the bbc highlights montages of the years I've been to (09, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19) fuck we've been treated eh? 10 and 14 clearly the best ones - montage wise. Interpol 14 is so beautiful but the context adds a lot (fuck you storms)

Where can these be watched?..

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is there a YouTube playlist or something?

2 hours ago, mufcok said:

Where can these be watched?..

Because I love ya both (yes, even the United fan) I've thrown then all in a playlist here. I'm still heartbroken I didn't get to 13 so didn't add that, couldn't find 16 either.

10 and 14 are fucking belters.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Because I love ya both (yes, even the United fan) I've thrown then all in a playlist here. I'm still heartbroken I didn't get to 13 so didn't add that, couldn't find 16 either.

10 and 14 are fucking belters.

Thank you for that.

Some amazing footage but it's just hit me like a ton of bricks again that the wait is now circa 15 months 🤕

51 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

That Arctics one is an interesting case. I think it is more or less a classic...

Redemption arc after they didn't step up to plate first time round, unveiling of the AM era and the beginning of their most dominant phase, blew away chatter from some columnists wondering if they were still enough of a draw, brought out some dormant favourites in the encore, etc etc.

Amazing intro, especially: always get shivers as the detuned guitar twang slides into the thump of Do I Wanna Know.

Yeah Alex is a slurring narcissist but they smashed it all the same.

Classic for me. Loved it at the time and it's still a regular one that I watch

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

That Arctics one is an interesting case. I think it is more or less a classic...

Redemption arc after they didn't step up to plate first time round, unveiling of the AM era and the beginning of their most dominant phase, blew away chatter from some columnists wondering if they were still enough of a draw, brought out some dormant favourites in the encore, etc etc.

Amazing intro, especially: always get shivers as the detuned guitar twang slides into the thump of Do I Wanna Know.

Yeah Alex is a slurring narcissist but they smashed it all the same.

Looks better on TV vs. being there in person where the atmosphere died after the first few songs. I love the Arctics but they don't tend to hit the mark unless seeing them at one of their indoor gigs.