Classic Glastonbury Performances

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I just had to come back to this thread to thank you for posting this video.

I'd never seen this performance before but it's just perfect - the music, the crowd - just perfect. 

I've watched it countless times over the last few days when I've been feeling shit about everything that's going on, and sure enough it has cheered me and made me cry every time. I'm sure the effects will become less potent with repeated exposure so I'll have to start rationing myself but.. wow, what a drug.

Glad you enjoyed it. It made me (and most of the field) cry at the time. That set was just so so good. :) 

I've no idea if the whole set is out there - there's only a couple of songs on youtube I think - but if you can find it I highly recommend it.  I posted the audio from the '92 set too, and gave that a listen when I posted it. That's superb too (and was at the time).

Joan has got to be one of the best acts I've seen at Glastonbury. Both times I had no expectations and both times I was completely blown away.

i wanted to post a video of Levellers from 2005 but i cannot find a single one anywhere?

that show on the Jazz World stage is the most uplifting, emotional, positive, moving show i have EVER seen at Glastonbury.

up to that point i had seen them a thousand times live, i'd seen them at the festival in '94 which at that time i considered to be their best show ever and could not be topped, so i went to the Jazz World field that day with no expectations except that i was going to see "just another Levellers gig".

man was i wrong.

turned out to be one of those once in a lifetime moments.

but either no-one in the whole world agrees with me, or i imagined the whole thing?

only nine months ago, but still.......I arranged to meet my eldest daughter in the Park after Kate Tempest and she turned up just as KT was finishing. Virtually the whole field (myself included) was in tears.. "WTF happened..??!!"

The fella beside blubbed on his girlfriends shoulder "I only came over here for a bit of a dance..."

He didnt have to wait long :

I absolutely LOVE nights like this on the farm... emotions being pulled from pillar to post and sharing it with the ones you love..

22 minutes ago, tarw said:

The only set that has ever moved my to tears

Oh, I don't know, I've had plenty lower lip wibbles over the years, this one is right up there, father & daughter in bits 🤤🤤

4 hours ago, jparx said:

It really doesn't get any better than this. Iconic set, electric crowd, perfect song to cap off the mudbath weekend and a band performing out of their skin. This is so far and away the best moment I've ever experienced at Glastonbury, and putting this over about a dozen Radiohead 2017 moments says it all.

I always look back at Glastonbury sets before I started going (Blur 09, Radiohead 97, Young 09, Jay Z 08, Beyonce 11, Stones 13) and feel like I've missed the glory days of the festival, but then I remind myself people will look at that video in 10 years time and have those same feelings. Can't quite believe I was there.

Amazing. I saw Coldplay that night which I don’t regret for a second but a part of me wishes I’d been at the Other for this.

Just now, ModernMan said:

Amazing. I saw Coldplay that night which I don’t regret for a second but a part of me wishes I’d been at the Other for this.

That was a difficult choice. I opted for Coldplay. Missed them for Chemical Brother's in 2011. Coldplay/Chris take a lot of flack but they're a very good band. Their early stuff is excellent and some of the later stuff not bad either, despite his multi colour mid-life crisis. They put on an excellent show in 2016 and it's one I'll never forget. 

I would have loved to have seen LCD but I'm sure they'll return to the farm one day and I ended up getting to see them at WHP in Manchester which was a wonderful night so.. all worked out well.

36 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I saw someone tweeted a link to their 2016 set yesterday. In the comments someone timestamped each song and for the bit when they brought on Michael Eavis to sing My Way it just says "(Unknown artist and song)" :lol: 

Edited by kingcrawler
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Could be anything from this tbh, but I'll go with A Forest which starts at 1hr08. By this point they were categorically in the pocket (even before the hits came out!) – the whole stage turned sickly green, Bob got his shred on and they the bassline running for what felt like forever. Chillingly good.

What with The Cure being my all time favourite band of all time, the fact that I didn't get tickets for last year is going to be a little tear in my heart for the rest of my days.

Still, I made the best of being able to watch the whole mesmerising set live, and what I really enjoyed was seeing the reactions from people on twitter. Even those people who hadn't given The Cure a second thought in 20 years were all saying "my god, his voice hasn't aged a day. It sounds exactly the same!" and commenting on what a great set it was. All I could do was enjoy and be proud of my favourite band getting some of the recognition they truly deserved and are so rarely afforded. They smashed it, even from my settee.

11 hours ago, jparx said:

It really doesn't get any better than this. Iconic set, electric crowd, perfect song to cap off the mudbath weekend and a band performing out of their skin. This is so far and away the best moment I've ever experienced at Glastonbury, and putting this over about a dozen Radiohead 2017 moments says it all.

I always look back at Glastonbury sets before I started going (Blur 09, Radiohead 97, Young 09, Jay Z 08, Beyonce 11, Stones 13) and feel like I've missed the glory days of the festival, but then I remind myself people will look at that video in 10 years time and have those same feelings. Can't quite believe I was there.

I was there for about six of the videos posted so far... but this is the one that gave me goosebumps just by being mentioned.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Let's put together a playlist to watch on what would have been the weekend of the festival, full of classic Glastonbury performances.  I'll kick off with this doozy - I wasn't even there that year, due to small child in my life, but it's obvious there was electricity in the field:

That said if I could remember this it would probably run it very close. Given how wasted I must have been at the time I'm sure I was absolutely loving it.

15 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i wanted to post a video of Levellers from 2005 but i cannot find a single one anywhere?

that show on the Jazz World stage is the most uplifting, emotional, positive, moving show i have EVER seen at Glastonbury.

up to that point i had seen them a thousand times live, i'd seen them at the festival in '94 which at that time i considered to be their best show ever and could not be topped, so i went to the Jazz World field that day with no expectations except that i was going to see "just another Levellers gig".

man was i wrong.

turned out to be one of those once in a lifetime moments.

but either no-one in the whole world agrees with me, or i imagined the whole thing?

You didn't imagine it and it was bloody brilliant, we got there about 15 minutes before the start and strolled to the barrier, I think they must loved seeing the crowds coming, think it was the biggest daytime crowd that's been on there, took ages getting out

Empty when we got there, packed when over 

Edited by mph