recommend a 'classic' album (not your fav album!)

eFestivals

On 9/25/2020 at 8:44 AM, Toilet Duck said:

Actually came into the thread to recommend this! I go back to it every year or so, and currently have it on heavy repeat... Triggered a feint memory that there was a thread here about classic albums, so thought I'd add it...trawling back through the thread, there it is! Bloody marvellous album, 25 years old in November. The hidden track at the end (A Natural) is just phenomenal lyrically (Fearghal always did have a way with words). I used to book them regularly when I was in College (basically, if we were stuck for someone of a Friday night, Whipping Boy or Therapy? were always there to dig us out!). I find it interesting that Fontaines DC regularly name check other Dublin bands as influences (mostly contemporaries), but never seem to mention Whipping Boy (I know they don't sound all that similar, but I hear a good bit of Fearghal in Grian...possibly just because they both sing with a Dublin accent). Maybe they are just too young to remember them!

Anyway, I'll add the wonderful "Fiction" to the list of recommends from the album (they're all brilliant mind you)...

Actually check out Puressence first album. Very similar vibe, very different voice though. 

5 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Actually check out Puressence first album. Very similar vibe, very different voice though. 

Cheers, can definitely hear the similarities underneath, though vocally obviously very different! Trying to think who she reminds me of! 

if you like them you might enjoy Bitch Falcon. Absolute monsters live, caught them a few times over here, would love to see them on the farm come June (yes, I still think we’ll make it next summer!) 

8 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Cheers, can definitely hear the similarities underneath, though vocally obviously very different! Trying to think who she reminds me of! 

if you like them you might enjoy Bitch Falcon. Absolute monsters live, caught them a few times over here, would love to see them on the farm come June (yes, I still think we’ll make it next summer!) 

Will check it out. Puressence is actually a male singer. A working class, brutally honest guy. Check out Mr Brown it's about mugging someone. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

F71B6F1A-036D-4119-9644-C749F24575A8.thumb.jpeg.6a890bc559d72fc9419f417b938a58a9.jpeg

I know it’s been posted in here before, but my word this still holds as one of the greatest albums of all time. Every time I listen to it I forget just how perfect it is. 

Although it’s bitterly cold this morning, the sun is shining and this album really connected with me when played nice and loudly earlier. Better times are coming again!
An absolute classic. 

So, kind of linked to this... I’ve been joining in with #MWE on Twitter where music writers listen to one album they’ve never heard before every day in February.

This is my list:

1: Adam and the Ants - Prince Charming

2: Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

3: Christine McVie - Christine McVie 

4: Dr. Dre - The Chronic

5: Eurythmics - Touch

6: FKA Twigs - Magdalene

7: Gang of Four - Entertainment!

8: Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4

9: Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself

10: John Prine - John Prine

11: King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King