recommend a 'classic' album (not your fav album!)

eFestivals

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Imagine what he would've done in the last 50 years.

Q ran quite a fun piece on this once, 'What If They'd Lived?' about Hendrix going on to record the most amazing jazz-fusion with Miles Davis. And there was also this awful effort from Guitar World: https://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-if-hendrix-had-lived-guitar-world-speculative-fiction.743106/page-3#post-18433370

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Q ran quite a fun piece on this once, 'What If They'd Lived?' about Hendrix going on to record the most amazing jazz-fusion with Miles Davis. And there was also this awful effort from Guitar World: https://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-if-hendrix-had-lived-guitar-world-speculative-fiction.743106/page-3#post-18433370

Oh Jesus. him writing an album comparable to Neil Youngs Trans had me laughing though. 

On 4/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, kalifire said:

Heartworm by Whipping Boy.

Itself a recommendation to me, it knocked me for six. Depressing, resonant, raw. Not my favourite, but what a corker.

Actually came into the thread to recommend this! I go back to it every year or so, and currently have it on heavy repeat... Triggered a feint memory that there was a thread here about classic albums, so thought I'd add it...trawling back through the thread, there it is! Bloody marvellous album, 25 years old in November. The hidden track at the end (A Natural) is just phenomenal lyrically (Fearghal always did have a way with words). I used to book them regularly when I was in College (basically, if we were stuck for someone of a Friday night, Whipping Boy or Therapy? were always there to dig us out!). I find it interesting that Fontaines DC regularly name check other Dublin bands as influences (mostly contemporaries), but never seem to mention Whipping Boy (I know they don't sound all that similar, but I hear a good bit of Fearghal in Grian...possibly just because they both sing with a Dublin accent). Maybe they are just too young to remember them!

Anyway, I'll add the wonderful "Fiction" to the list of recommends from the album (they're all brilliant mind you)...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mazola said:

Ok I know this is probably the wrong thread, because this IS my favourite album of all time, but today is going to be sound tracked by the Prince Sign o the Times super deluxe box set that has just been released. It's on Spotify

Big Prince fan here and Sign 'O' The TImes is an undisputed masterpiece.

I am usually a bit ambivalent to these special editions. The outtakes are usually taken out for a reason and although I am curious, they are rarely revelatory and in a way detract from the pure brilliance of the album.

The vinyl box goes for way over 200, but that said, will certainly increase in value.

16 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I am usually a bit ambivalent to these special editions. The outtakes are usually taken out for a reason and although I am curious, they are rarely revelatory and in a way detract from the pure brilliance of the album.

In the vast majority of examples, you're spot on. This promises to be one of the exceptions, with valuable outtakes:

6 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

In the vast majority of examples, you're spot on. This promises to be one of the exceptions, with valuable outtakes:

There's no arguing with that!

I've had boots of Dream Factory and the Camille album for a while so am familiar with some of the outtakes already and there's no question there are some gems in there... I was always fond of this one.

I always enjoyed Prince's B-sides and 12"mixes too, and throw in a contemporaneous concert, even with a bit of chaff from the vaults, this is still going to be amazing.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:34 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Q ran quite a fun piece on this once, 'What If They'd Lived?' about Hendrix going on to record the most amazing jazz-fusion with Miles Davis. 

I remember this article vividly - they had artists portraits of the artists in their advanced years. Buddy Holly, Marc Bolan, Lennon were also included.

Another details I remember form the Hendrix article - he would go on to record "The Jungle Comes Alive" a rare chart hit in 1987 - the tie-in song from the film Predator.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, kalifire said:

Heartworm by Whipping Boy.

Itself a recommendation to me, it knocked me for six. Depressing, resonant, raw. Not my favourite, but what a corker.

It's a different sounding album but you might like The Afghan Whigs 'Black Love' or their album 'Gentleman'. 

Edited by danbailey80

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve been listening to Spiderland by Slint a lot this week. Such a brilliant record. 

Near enough a perfect album for me. Not many albums with better opening/closing moments, the intro to Breadcrumb Trail draws you right in and everything builds to the “I MISS YOU” at the end.

21 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's also a reissue of Lou Reed's ace New York out today, but there doesn't seem to be just a standard version, so reckon I'll just fuck with Spotify for now.

Listened to this again for the first time in long enough.

Still slaps.....but those lyrics to Good Evening Mr Waldheim 😬

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Quark said:

Gone back and listened to this for the first time in, well, no idea tbh.  It's still fantastic.

SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg.ba09da5c9c0906af70826ac43de09919.jpg

Unquestionably one of my favourite albums of all time. Just perfect in terms of songwriting and the production is stunning. It really captures a moment for me too, and I'd put it at the top of the 90s alt rock pile ahead of Nevermind, Ten et al.

Mellon Collie is also magnificent. More recent albums...er, not so much.