recommend a 'classic' album (not your fav album!)

eFestivals

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Been working my way through Rolling Stone's Top 100 albums recently - started at 100 and next up is number 77.

Nice idea, might give that  a bash.

If I'm looking at the right list then 77 should be Back in Black?

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nice idea, might give that  a bash.

If I'm looking at the right list then 77 should be Back in Black?

Correct!

Made a spreadsheet with the album name, artist, year of release, notes, favourite song, score (100) and ranking (based on my score) so just filling it in as I go and the rankings update when a new score is input.

Album 78 (Otis Blue - Otis Redding) is actually tied with Axis: Bold as Love as the highest score I've given out. Another great album.

The lowest ranked album (based on my album score) so far is The Wall - Pink Floyd. Just couldn't get into it at all.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Correct!

Made a spreadsheet with the album name, artist, year of release, notes, favourite song, score (100) and ranking (based on my score) so just filling it in as I go and the rankings update when a new score is input.

Album 78 (Otis Blue - Otis Redding) is actually tied with Axis: Bold as Love as the highest score I've given out. Another great album.

The lowest ranked album (based on my album score) so far is The Wall - Pink Floyd. Just couldn't get into it at all.

You had me at spreadsheet :D

I've had a look through the list and, not surprisingly, it's massively weighted to 60s/70s albums.  Think Kid A is the only one I saw in there from this millennium?

Doesn't do much to take away the perception of these lists as curated by guys who last got excited when The Who headlined Glastonbury :lol:

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

You had me at spreadsheet :D

I've had a look through the list and, not surprisingly, it's massively weighted to 60s/70s albums.  Think Kid A is the only one I saw in there from this millennium?

Doesn't do much to take away the perception of these lists as curated by guys who last got excited when The Who headlined Glastonbury :lol:

Yea Kid A the only genuine 2000's album (there is a Muddy Water's compilation that came out in 2001 but obviously that's a bit different!).

Quite a good list if, like me, you don't have a broad listening history of those eras. I've listened to a lot of The Beatles, The Who, Bob Dylan, etc but had never listened to an album by some huge names like Prince, Led Zeppelin, etc. Found some 'hidden gems' too like Dusty in Memphis (as it is in this list it obviously isn't very hidden but an album I would likely have never come across otherwise).

Once I'm finished I'll probably try and find a Top 100 albums of the 2000s so far or something. I know Rolling Stone has a Top 100 between 2000 and 2009 but I'd prefer a Top 100 (or even 50) of albums between 2000-2020.

Maybe this:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

Yea Kid A the only genuine 2000's album (there is a Muddy Water's compilation that came out in 2001 but obviously that's a bit different!).

Quite a good list if, like me, you don't have a broad listening history of those eras. I've listened to a lot of The Beatles, The Who, Bob Dylan, etc but had never listened to an album by some huge names like Prince, Led Zeppelin, etc. Found some 'hidden gems' too like Dusty in Memphis (as it is in this list it obviously isn't very hidden but an album I would likely have never come across otherwise).

Once I'm finished I'll probably try and find a Top 100 albums of the 2000s so far or something. I know Rolling Stone has a Top 100 between 2000 and 2009 but I'd prefer a Top 100 (or even 50) of albums between 2000-2020.

Maybe this:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

This sounds like a project I could get on board with. As I've probably mentioned I did not grow up in a house of music loving people. Both my older brothers and my sister liked some stuff but very narrow range. My eldest brother is the kind of person to declare x album is the best in the world so there's no point in listening to any other music any more. 

I definitely would say I have fairly huge gaps in my musical education. Bands that everyone says are absolutely the best that from the small amount I've heard I am a bit meh about like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. This could be a way to give them a chance. 

As for a classic but not my favourite how about Beth Orton Central Reservation

beth.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, Minilla said:

On land and in the sea by Cardiacs.  

Cheating a bit because it's a favourite, but it is also a classic. Tim's songwriting and the influence the band had are pretty important, even if they never really hit mainstream consciousness.  Bit of a marmite band.

Classic lineup, slightly easier to get into for normal [non Cardiacs fans] folk than some other albums, and absolutely belting from start to finish.

Miss you Tim, we still need you!

on land.jpg

Tim Smith has passed away. :(

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-cardiacs-tim-smith-has-died-at-the-age-of-59-2712830

On 7/22/2020 at 7:27 PM, eFestivals said:

There isn't a word to describe how bad this is. 

Tim was the most amazing person.  The word genius gets bandied about a lot, but he truly was.

Super friendly, super supportive, all round good egg. Greatest moment of my musical career -if you could call it that- was Tim watching us from the side of the stage, buying us a round after and chewing the fat all night long.

Greenpeace tent gigs were a Glastonbury highlight, the only must-see of any year they played. Every show they did was a soaring wonderful occasion. 

If all the people who have decided in the last 24 hours that Cardiacs were their favourite band ever had bought the records, they'd have been multi-platinum megastars.

Truly heaven born and ever bright and worthy of laudation!

images (5).jpeg

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gotta confess that The Cardiacs had/have completely passed me by. Like, completely.

Given the love popping up I feel like I need to rectify that.

Check out Sing To God.  Not the "classic" lineup but a seriously fucking incredible album.  

Comparable to Beefheart in a way, they take a bit of listening to for lots of people.  

It’s a source of regret that I didn’t really get into the Cardiacs until just after Tim’s illness. I was aware of them before and nearly saw them at the 1984 Stonehenge Festival (we left after Hawkwind and before them, en route to Glastonbury) but did see them in 1992 on the joint tour with Levitation.

Everyone who’s met him says what a lovely guy he was, and musically he was pretty unique. Cardiacs aren’t for everyone but if you do get it, you really get it. The music is hard to define - whilst they were often deemed an ‘indie’ band, they took in many influences but sounded like no-one else. Tim was very much a Syd Barrett of his time, seeing the world often through child-like eyes. 

It’s such a shame that he went so early, given he’s been receiving much better support via fan donations, and had hoped to move back home soon. Farewell Tim, Heaven born and ever bright

• Upvote 1