recommend a 'classic' album (not your fav album!)

eFestivals

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

When this record came out I loved the sleeve.  I basically lived in record shops and comic or games shops and the endless array of design was something I could enjoy almost as much as the music contained within.

Loving the sleeve I checked out their back catalogue through my local library and thought that, while I quite liked it my brother would love it.  I bought it, lovely gatefold sleeve edition and gave it him for Christmas.

He went mental at me.  Just mental.  He'd never heard of them and just went off on one that I'd bought a record for myself as a present just so I could grab a copy on cassette.  It wasn't the case and some time later, INXS became his favourite band and the first big name gigs he went to.

The ungrateful so and so. That'll learn him...

And yes there are some gems in the back catalogue. Listen Like Thieves is not quite as good as Kick but well worth a listen. I love Welcome To Wherever you Are which was one of those rock albums lost during the alternative onslaught of the early 90s, it's massively underrated.

I too have the gatefold vinyl, and this is the best way to appreciate the great design.

INXS “Kick” Album Cover Skateboard Details | FeelNumb.com

INXS Album, LP, Vinyl, record in DY8 Dudley for £10.00 for sale ...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, maelzoid said:

And yes there are some gems in the back catalogue. Listen Like Thieves is not quite as good as Kick but well worth a listen. I love Welcome To Wherever you Are which was one of those rock albums lost during the alternative onslaught of the early 90s, it's massively underrated.

I too have the gatefold vinyl, and this is the best way to appreciate the great design.

Amazing album. 

First gig I ever went to. Brighton Centre 1990. 

22 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I have the gatefold album too, terrific album. First saw them Dec 1987 in Nottingham supported by Sinead O’Connor, good times, good memories. We had coach packages from Birmingham, still chuckle at the memory of the coach driver at the pickup calling out “inkses, anyone for inkses” 😂

On 4/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, Ddiamondd said:

Sensational retrospective of it today on Pitchfork: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/herbie-hancock-head-hunters/

Making me feel very sad to miss him this year, hoping for 2021 indeed.

For this line alone....

For purists, it was just another heretical element on another album of heresy from yet another jazz pioneer turned iconoclast.

WTF. ?

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not a gargantuan junglist by any means, but I was right under the spider late Sunday night in 2017 when Roni Size was dropping some beats, and I did love to hear Brown Paper Bag 👍

I don't know if there was ever an official Brown Paper Bag tour, but Ronnie Size played in Swansea not long after it's release and I think back on that night in particular and that era in general as the most formative era of UK music ever, ever ever.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not a gargantuan junglist by any means, but I was right under the spider late Sunday night in 2017 when Roni Size was dropping some beats, and I did love to hear Brown Paper Bag 👍

And it is not Jungle, that is somin' else altogether.

Drum and Bass.

I was exposed to Stevie Wonder's magnificent output from about 14. In those days I did not have control of the turntable, I had very little input. When this one from Talking Book came on, I reserved that feeling for future reference.....

On 4/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, bamber said:

Not my favourite album, but one I return to again and again.and again. There is no album that I have listened to more. The title is perfect given the dub nature of this.

Garvey's Ghost, Burning Spear,

More of this is requisite.

A Love heart from Neil for this one. High Praise indeed,

The Power of Garvey's Ghost is strong.

The original album, which this is the dub version of, is called simply Marcus Garvey.

Many of you younger folk will likely not know who Marcus Garvey was.

Here ya go....