recommend a 'classic' album (not your fav album!)

eFestivals

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Funny enough I'm building a playlist collection of classic albums at the moment, so this thread will help massively!

For my part, only discovered this as an album (beyond the singles) relatively recently. Get some Marvin in your ears. Quite dark themes of social commentary, but wrapped up in a sound that will soothe the soul. Gorgeous.

882025421_MarvinGayeWhatsGoingOnalbumcover.jpg.9260c95edd6e08fd496c880919c1476f.jpg

This is getting weird now. I'll need to pick something else.

Ok, next one that comes to mind is;

Image result for air moon safari

Absolutely love this record, fairly ambivalent to the rest of their output, but always come back to this.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This is getting weird now. I'll need to pick something else.

Ok, next one that comes to mind is;

Image result for air moon safari

Absolutely love this record, fairly ambivalent to the rest of their output, but always come back to this.  

I'm in your house, rifling through your record collection while you sleep :D

45 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Just what you need to listen to at these troubling times. Also a Glastonbury regular  with the BBC 1986 recording being a highlight.

D26684A4-952A-4AAD-98DD-05ABFBC9341F.jpeg

Great album though I prefer "Live at Leeds", though I have no idea where my vinyl copy went, some git "borrowed" it in the 80s...

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

oh my! Very early Cardiacs fan here (they were an 11 piece band the first time I saw them, I think).

I even had the very-original tape* of The Seaside till a mate borrowed it and it was never seen again; I still have a v2 copy.
(*they lost the masters. Later versions were a full re-recording)

I only saw them once, on the 1992 tour with Levitation. Wasn’t really a fan at the time, although really enjoyed them. Have since really got into them and have huge regrets of not seeing them again.

5 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I've been listening to a lot of Avalanches lately, Since I Left You is a great escape from reality. I put my headphones on and for an hour and feel like I'm teleported away to a happier place 

This is what I was coming to reccomend. Listened it to the first time this week after they were announced and its a really solid album

Seeing Sparks later in the year.

I’d been exploring McCartneys solo work in anticipation of seeing him, didn’t know any album well except for the excellent Band on the Run, but can’t believe I’d never heard Ram in full since recently. This, and Tug of War, I’m much enjoying of late

AFFF9CED-3BCB-44D9-90DF-B1D4084D48AD.png

No R.E.M.?

You heathens! 😉

I’ve gone for this, people seem to overlook it due to the ‘poppy’ singles. But everything else - and Side 2 - in particular is just beautiful. 

Especially Kate Pierson’s harmonies / backing vocals.

578F5D5B-13C9-4F89-B519-E75C46F4E2E7.jpeg

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Another!

Image result for carole king tapestry

Always appears on those best of lists, finally listened to it a couple of years ago, immediately went out and bought the vinyl. It's a masterpiece. 

Thanks for this, I’d never listened to anything by her although I’d always known she wrote some classics. Just listened and it’s brilliant.

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Always gave Slave To The Rhythm a play on route to Glasto every year when I still had a cassette player. 

Good choice. My hobby in recent years has been collecting and restoring vintage hifi. I measure the quality of 70s amps and speakers with three specific LPs: Nightclubbing, Spirit of Eden, Talk Talk and Handsworth Revolution, Steel Pulse. All extraordinary quality recordings for hearing the full range of your equipment. And upsetting the neighbours.