Festival workers this summer, any hope?

Messy

Hello everyone,

My brother is a festival worker and the festival season makes up the majority of his yearly income. I'm very worried for him and everyone else who relies on festivals to pay the bills.

What are people's thoughts? Prospects seem very grim at the moment!

Myself and my partner work in the live event industry from April - September.

Am just back from our winter break abroad and was gearing up for our busy summer, with lots booked in and more TBC.

With being freelance and self employed for most of our work, and zero hours for a small part of it, we have watched our confirmed events drop drastically.

Our summer income is 95% of our total income, looking at around £25k down and the longer it goes in, the deeper trouble we are in. :(

Edited by Paul ™

A large proportion of my friends work in the summer event industry. 

They do everything from trading, infrastructure and marquee hire to site crew work etc. There's a lot of despondency about.

A few are at the mo looking for van delivery driving jobs as internet buying is on the increase and just about all of them are experienced van drivers.

I'm going to take a hit but not nearly as badly as many.

As stated above, many of thenm earn their annual income over the summer and then spend the winter in low cost of living places abroad. Some don't even have permanant homes in the UK as they live on the road all summer.

Harsh times.

6 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

A large proportion of my friends work in the summer event industry. 

They do everything from trading, infrastructure and marquee hire to site crew work etc. There's a lot of despondency about.

A few are at the mo looking for van delivery driving jobs as internet buying is on the increase and just about all of them are experienced van drivers.

I'm going to take a hit but not nearly as badly as many.

As stated above, many of thenm earn their annual income over the summer and then spend the winter in low cost of living places abroad. Some don't even have permanant homes in the UK as they live on the road all summer.

Harsh times.

keep an eye on supermarket delivery driving opportunities .... theres a massive need and shortfall at the moment ... if I know or see anything I will post it ... Its minimum wage but better than nothing at the moment 

15 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

many of thenm earn their annual income over the summer and then spend the winter in low cost of living places abroad. Some don't even have permanant homes in the UK as they live on the road all summer.

This is our case, we live full time in our motorhome.

Making it worse is my other half is still in Portugal land sitting for friends for another 2 weeks, unsure if the owners will even get back there, then her trying to get back here especially as she was also due to go to France at the end of the month to see her elderly parents first :(

Edited by Paul ™

In laws run a festival food business. They are just going to suck i up as they are fortunate enough to have been doing it for years and have a nest egg to draw on. 

Their son runs a separate traders and he's thinking of setting up a kitchen in London to sell through Deliveroo.