LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2021

jparx

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

true, but from what Emily has said it's more driven by major acts wanting to announce than it is from Glasto.

There's perhaps not the same urgency from acts right now, as no one knows if the shows will really happen.

Personally, I'm thinking there won't be an announcement before January this year and perhaps nothing at all if it gets cancelled. I think the chances of going ahead is what will drive the timing of any band announcements.

Be interesting to know if the desire to announce, or not announce, is being driven by the festival or the artist.

Take Diana Ross for instance, she’s rearranged her tour next year to coincide with GF and has been announced for a festival around the same time. It’s beyond reasonable doubt now that she’ll be back and she was announced in October last year... so is it her or the festival holding it back?

Edited by Hugh Jass

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they've rolled tickets over to 2021.  That means it's going ahead until it's not going ahead. 

I don't think that needs a statement. We're all aware that covid might stop it happening.

Yeah I suppose, but with where we still are with the virus and the constant doubt it might be good to reaffirm that it’s still ploughing ahead as of the new year (if it’s still the case by then), and emphasise that they’re looking at it as the same celebration of the 50th that 2020 would’ve been with as much of the same lineup as they could secure.

I think drip feeding lineup announcements at this point, especially with them just being repeats of the announcements we already had, would be a bit shit, especially if it has to be canned again. A statement of intent and then lineup poster when/if we’re sure it’s good to go seems the best way to not just add to the possible disappointment next year.

Although maybe that’s just me in my efestivals bubble and a Diana Ross announcement sometime soon would really lift people’s spirits (possibly along with a reaffirmed statement of intent).

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I suppose, but with where we still are with the virus and the constant doubt it might be good to reaffirm that it’s still ploughing ahead as of the new year (if it’s still the case by then), and emphasise that they’re looking at it as the same celebration of the 50th that 2020 would’ve been with as much of the same lineup as they could secure.

I think drip feeding lineup announcements at this point, especially with them just being repeats of the announcements we already had, would be a bit shit, especially if it has to be canned again. A statement of intent and then lineup poster when/if we’re sure it’s good to go seems the best way to not just add to the possible disappointment next year.

Although maybe that’s just me in my efestivals bubble and a Diana Ross announcement sometime soon would really lift people’s spirits (possibly along with a reaffirmed statement of intent).

I think they will keep quiet until needed. Eavis' will be well aware that the plug could be pulled. You don't want to start saying too much to then retract.

I could MAYBE see them releasing some kind of update when a successful vaccine is confirmed and there's a roadmap for rolling it out.  As soon as that happens everyone will be asking what that means for life next year, so they might chuck something out. Wouldn't expect any kind of solid confirmation-type announcement, but maybe a little update to let punters know what that could mean.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

An announcement of an act would be a statement of intent. Way more than ‘we’re still booking acts, we just don’t want you to get your hopes up by hearing who they are’.

Diana Ross may be obvious to people here but you’re right that it is an eFests bubble, and if announcing the same acts as 2020 is rubbish then they’re kinda stuck!

The long and short of it, to me, is that we’re going to be disappointed if it’s cancelled anyway, but it’d be reassuring for them to be continuing to plot things as they normally would and as every other festival is doing. There isn’t really any problem in announcing and act who then can’t ultimately play - the acts are mapping out their summers regardless.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do you know what I’ve just got a feeling we might get something this week .., 

Well they do say good things come in threes. Trump gone, vaccine, and... Glasto?

10 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

We have a vaccine so confirmation of going ahead with full line up on Christmas Day?

Wonder how busy this site would be if that happened tbh

I actually think they may just release a bit poster of all the retained acts as the first announcement (next year if they decide to proceed).

Think there’ll be too much speculation of who replaced who etc... if not.  They won’t want to field the questions. 

41 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

They wont do anything until at least january when the go/no go decision is expected to be made. There wouldnt be any point. You dont announce something that may never happen.

Just to play devil’s advocate - every other festival in Europe has announced their lineups and they may never happen. Including Roskilde which is also sold out and also celebrating a 50th anniversary.

10 hours ago, jparx said:

Just to play devil’s advocate - every other festival in Europe has announced their lineups and they may never happen. Including Roskilde which is also sold out and also celebrating a 50th anniversary.

I get that but i dont expect anything from glastonbury pre february march anyway and thats in a normal year with no covid!

10 hours ago, jparx said:

Roskilde which is also sold out and also celebrating a 50th anniversary.

Aye but they've only announced a few acts. They've excluded quite a few that seem likely too; i.e. that were announced for 2020 and are touring around the festival next year. They said there should be more announcements after the summer but we're still waiting :(

30 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I get that but i dont expect anything from glastonbury pre february march anyway and thats in a normal year with no covid!

There have been 14 pre February announcements since 2000 and 21 made during February. 

(Just keeping my hand in).