LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2021

jparx

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Not sure if this is relevant but noticed that the Glastonbury Facebook changed name on 20th June. 

Switched from "Glastonbury Festival (official)" to "Glastonbury Festivals"

https://www.facebook.com/glastonburyofficial/

Do we think the new plural is a sign....

Could be. For instance, Nick Dewey has registered Shangri-La as a company recently-ish.

But ever since Glastonbury launched their self-owned website in 2000 it's been with the s, so perhaps it's just to match that.

56 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Could be. For instance, Nick Dewey has registered Shangri-La as a company recently-ish.

But ever since Glastonbury launched their self-owned website in 2000 it's been with the s, so perhaps it's just to match that.

There’s always been news about Pilton Party and Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza on it too. So that’s what I took it to mean.

• 1 month later...

We’re now entering the time of year where we usually get an announcement or two leading up to Christmas. Maybe a headliner or the legend...

Be interesting to see if we do get anything in the current climate. Obviously Diana Ross looks a lock to return as legend given her dates elsewhere. Will they formally announce anything any time soon?

Somehow I just can’t see them announcing anything this side of Christmas. Partially because I think they will want a bit more certainty about how things are going to play out and also because I don’t think the public sentiment is quite right. Why risk having your good news drowned out by a lot of chatter about the probability of the festival happening?

I’m expecting an announcement somewhere between late-Jan to late-Feb with some names and confirmation (or not) of the resale. 

Yeah I think the excitement for announcements just isn't there right now. Unless they can pair one with "we're definitely going ahead and here's how we're gonna do it," it won't likely be met by much besides pessimism. Glastonbury must at least be relieved they don't have to worry about shifting tickets.

I'd rather they didn't announce anything to be honest. I'm sure they're looking to keep the lineup as close to 2020 as possible. Personally I thought it was excellent, most impressed I've been with a lineup for a while. 

We don't need any new announcements until we know it's going ahead, had enough disappointment already!

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly

I can’t see any announcements until way into next year. I won’t be surprised if we have no announcement till Balance payment window.

But 'business as usual', as you agreed it would be, would mean announcements as near to the regular schedule as possible. No announcement until that late wouldn't be that.

I don't think that act announcements should really affect the view of whether it goes ahead or not, and I think it's important to do that to show something for what they're doing behind the scenes and that - if it does go ahead - they're preparing. Reckon we'll have someone on the lineup before the end of the year, but probably someone rebooked.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I’m of the mindset if it’s ‘business as usual until it’s not’ then announcing as normal is only logical as otherwise, well, it’s not business as usual... 

Diana the first announcement again? Her dates make it pretty obvious she’s lined up for a return. December 10th, 5pm

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

But 'business as usual', as you agreed it would be, would mean announcements as near to the regular schedule as possible. No announcement until that late wouldn't be that.

I don't think that act announcements should really affect the view of whether it goes ahead or not, and I think it's important to do that to show something for what they're doing behind the scenes and that - if it does go ahead - they're preparing. Reckon we'll have someone on the lineup before the end of the year, but probably someone rebooked.

But not long ago (2013/2014) we’ve seen a lot of the lineup wait until the main poster drop. I know they’ve released one or two headliners before but it’s not completely unheard of to think they might wait until April.

From now to Jan could be written off as the situation isn’t exactly great.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But not long ago (2013/2014) we’ve seen a lot of the lineup wait until the main poster drop. I know they’ve released one or two headliners before but it’s not completely unheard of to think they might wait until April.

From now to Jan could be written off as the situation isn’t exactly great.

2004 was the last time there was no announcement before 1st April.

It’s unheard of in recent times, certainly since the festival became as massive as it is now.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

2004 was the last time there was no announcement before 1st April.

It’s unheard of in recent times, certainly since the festival became as massive as it is now.

true, but from what Emily has said it's more driven by major acts wanting to announce than it is from Glasto.

There's perhaps not the same urgency from acts right now, as no one knows if the shows will really happen.

Personally, I'm thinking there won't be an announcement before January this year and perhaps nothing at all if it gets cancelled. I think the chances of going ahead is what will drive the timing of any band announcements.

I think they’d be wiser in releasing a statement at some point clarifying that the festival is still planning on going ahead unless it’s made clear it can’t happen and that they’ve done their best to re-secure the majority of the 2020 lineup, rather than go business as usual about the whole thing. A new Diana Ross announcement isn’t exactly gonna light the world alight as you’d have to be completely switched off to not realise she’s coming back, and if they’ve lost a headliner then they’re gonna have to either drop all three at once in a ‘look we lost Taylor but here’s her replacement’ kind of way rather than announce McCartney, then Kendrick, and then have everybody pissed off when its not Taylor as well. 

I think an assurance that most of the so far announced 2020 lineup remains and then full lineup drop some time later (if it’s going ahead) is the best way to go about it.