LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2021

jparx

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Lawks is an English word (originally London) to express surprise or shock.  It's been used in the title of next announcement thread for a while, but didn't get used last year so making sure it's added back into this one.

It's quite an old word, you don't hear it much. Was very popular when @Gnomicide  was a nipper ;)

I'm not sure it had been invented that far back :D

Just now, jparx said:

Aye, pretty sure Emily said they were verbal agreements.

Do you have any more info about 2020 acts being offered 2021 slots? Or just what you posted the other day?

Pretty much what I posted the other day, I don't really want to press him any further. From what I gathered, all acts on main stages were offered. I don't know how far 'main' stretches but what I do know is that it at least goes as far as stages the size of Glade.

Some (no idea who or how many) have already declined. I imagine the intention from Glastonbury would be to try go with the same lineup then book new acts wherever people decline as time goes on

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Pretty much what I posted the other day, I don't really want to press him any further. From what I gathered, all acts on main stages were offered. I don't know how far 'main' stretches but what I do know is that it at least goes as far as stages the size of Glade.

Some (no idea who or how many) have already declined. I imagine the intention from Glastonbury would be to try go with the same lineup then book new acts wherever people decline as time goes on

Interesting stuff, especially that in included acts on Glade. 

Can only imagine the bigger acts will be the ones rejecting at this stage. Can't imagine acts on stages like Glade already have plans locked in for next year?

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Interesting stuff, especially that in included acts on Glade. 

Can only imagine the bigger acts will be the ones rejecting at this stage. Can't imagine acts on stages like Glade already have plans locked in for next year?

Yeah that's my take on it but everything is so up in the air. I don't really know enough about Swift/Kendrick to know what music they have out/what they could be upto in 2021

Just now, mufcok said:

Yeah that's my take on it but everything is so up in the air. I don't really know enough about Swift/Kendrick to know what music they have out/what they could be upto in 2021

Yeah no idea really. They could have anything lined up. Kenny has his weird new company, Taylor could be doing some more movies, they could both have Asia tours pencilled or something. Really hard to call at this point.

46 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah no idea really. They could have anything lined up. Kenny has his weird new company, Taylor could be doing some more movies, they could both have Asia tours pencilled or something. Really hard to call at this point.

I'd like to think one or both would deliberately carve out time to attend. That definitely seems like something Swifty might do.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Lawks is an English word (originally London) to express surprise or shock.  It's been used in the title of next announcement thread for a while, but didn't get used last year so making sure it's added back into this one.

It's quite an old word, you don't hear it much. Was very popular when @Gnomicide  was a nipper ;)

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not sure it had been invented that far back :D

Screenshot_20200315-152759_Instagram.jpg.3fa08b57daf9e3a2279884a7ab5af76d.jpg

The real reason is that when this thread inevitably disappears into the far flung pages and needs to be retrieved, it's easily found by searching 'lawks'. Searching announcement brings up too many results. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd like to think one or both would deliberately carve out time to attend. That definitely seems like something Swifty might do.

Sure hope so - just trying not to get my hopes up too high!

4 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Can someone please explain Lawks to me?

Think of it as similar to “Shivers!” in NZ.

I don’t if it’s a thing in the whole of the country, but when I lived in Tauranga there was a woman I worked with who exclaimed “Shivers!” every time she expressed surprise.

Once she said “Shivers! Snapper, 28 dollars a kilo”. It’s always stuck with me!

5 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

October will be more like a resale as there are lots less tickets, but there will still be one in April after the balance window as lots will not pay the balance as normal.

I hope this is how they do it. Would be awful to wait til April 21 to try for a ticket. 
Charm x

• 1 month later...

Feels like a lot of festivals are making announcements already, I guess trying to encourage people to rollover their tickets. Will that be a concern for Glastonbury as well do you think, and could it push them to make an announcement early on to try and curb people asking for refunds? I don't think their finances are as shaky as other festivals, but equally I imagine they wouldn't be keen on dishing out loads of deposit refunds, which may be more requested than we initially thought given just how hard this is hitting everyone financially and the question marks over next year.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Feels like a lot of festivals are making announcements already, I guess trying to encourage people to rollover their tickets. Will that be a concern for Glastonbury as well do you think, and could it push them to make an announcement early on to try and curb people asking for refunds? I don't think their finances are as shaky as other festivals, but equally I imagine they wouldn't be keen on dishing out loads of deposit refunds, which may be more requested than we initially thought given just how hard this is hitting everyone financially and the question marks over next year.

I personally think it won’t be any different. Silent treatment until usual announcement windows. I don’t see the point in individual announcements for acts that were meant to be playing 2020.

Also if they have replacement headliners how do you announce them? How do you say here X in place of Y

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also if they have replacement headliners how do you announce them? How do you say here X in place of Y

This more than anything is gonna be a tricky one. Announce any possible new headliners first and have people wondering which of 2020's three has dropped out and they're replacing? Or announce the rollover headliners from 2020 and then have people expecting all three to be in tact and then be upset when Macca has been replaced by The 1975? Be interesting to see how they handle it, and fingers crossed it's as easy as saying 'we got all three back'.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

This more than anything is gonna be a tricky one. Announce any possible new headliners first and have people wondering which of 2020's three has dropped out and they're replacing? Or announce the rollover headliners from 2020 and then have people expecting all three to be in tact and then be upset when Macca has been replaced by The 1975? Be interesting to see how they handle it, and fingers crossed it's as easy as saying 'we got all three back'.

Yeah it's going to be hard for sure. Hopefully they have all three, but if not I could see them announcing all three headliners (whoever they are) at once and then it speaks for itself. You don't want it to feel like someone is a replacement, even though that might be obvious if they've rebooked 2 of the 3 and the 3rd is someone like Foals.

I reckon they will drop something big early summer to encourage people to hold on to their tickets before the refund window ends. It's an awful lot of money to potentially dish out - there's a reason other festivals are getting in there early with announcements.

Edited by jparx

30 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't think there's any need for Glastonbury to do anything different to normal.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if they do announce something earlier than normal, as there's probably going to be less secrecy around who'll be playing (as I expect the announced bands from this year to get offered next year) - although that probably won't be until after the ticket sale. It's not like they'll be struggling to sell the tickets.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

I don't think there's any need for Glastonbury to do anything different to normal.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if they do announce something earlier than normal, as there's probably going to be less secrecy around who'll be playing (as I expect the announced bands from this year to get offered next year) - although that probably won't be until after the ticket sale. It's not like they'll be struggling to sell the tickets.

Are you not expecting a high number of refund requests then? I know it's a golden ticket, but with so much uncertainty out there I feel like Glastonbury has tumbled down the priority list for people.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Are you not expecting a high number of refund requests then? I know it's a golden ticket, but with so much uncertainty out there I feel like Glastonbury has tumbled down the priority list for people.

possibly more refunds based on circumstances changing but i dont think demand will drop off ... lots of people won't be spending this years festival money and there will be plenty of built up demand and people wanting some kind of release ...

Just now, jparx said:

Even if the refunds are quite big in number I don't expect them to have a problem selling the tickets. 

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

2021 also being cancelled is probably something that hasn't entered a lot of peoples minds, despite it being an unfortunate possibility. Some people might need that extra money around ticket day and so forfeit theirs, but ultimately I think it's gonna be the same clusterfuck for tickets as always (albeit even harder for us poor sods who are currently ticketless what with their being even less available in the first sale). 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

2021 also being cancelled is probably something that hasn't entered a lot of peoples minds, despite it being an unfortunate possibility. Some people might need that extra money around ticket day and so forfeit theirs, but ultimately I think it's gonna be the same clusterfuck for tickets as always (albeit even harder for us poor sods who are currently ticketless what with their being even less available in the first sale). 

I wasn't particularly thinking about demand in October, more if there's a large number of refund requests over the summer when they currently have no revenue stream. I guess the festival can survive being in the red for a few months until October if they do have to dish out a fair whack of money though. I'm sure they will sell out, it's just how their finances will be hit until then, but it's probably not a big issue with their rainy day fund.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I agree, I think that the number of people asking for refunds won't be significantly higher than normal and this will be more than offset by pent up demand after a lost summer. I have come to terms with having no real chance of getting a ticket for 2021.