Jump to content

Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.


StoneCircle
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

This will be an interesting chapter in the Glastonbury 100 Book in 2070

Forgot about the book - I bought it in October for the ticket comp but haven't read it yet. Making a start on it this weekend, should keep me occupied for a couple of days!

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think everyone’s in the same boat mate, I hope you’ll be ok!

 

Whatsapp chats will have to do, virtual drinking maybe. Fortunately I’m more used to being on my own and like it so hopefully it’ll be fine!

The Whatsapp chats are brilliant, set one up for friend group and got the family one, both very active, it's definitely helping. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

I am very thankful for that and it’s a small light at the end of the tunnel. I think it’s all just becoming quite difficult to comprehend; lockdowns, telling your parents to stay indoors, anxiety, wondering if you’ll keep your job, wondering how we will all cope or how everything will look in a month or six months. 
 

I love Glastonbury and I think that going is kind of the deck of cards tumbling, a realisation that life is going to be quite bleak for a while. 

its all so overwhelming ... and I know its tough ... but try to start working on the things you can influence at the moment .... and the other things that you  cant influence right now later .... so for me I was worrying about my parents equally as last weekend they were refusing to isolate ... ive just spoken to them and they have started to put things in place to help them .... these things tend to work themselves out as overwhelming as they seem at times ... hope everything goes ok all the best 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry guys... this is really upsetting but it will be back stronger and mightier! The real sadness I feel is for Michael and Emily, especially after reading the 50th Anniversary book this year. Every year they talk about their struggles and how touch and go it has always been in terms of weather, finance and local politics with the Glastonbury residents and how the festival always overcame it to be a massive success.

It must be a real punch in the gut for them but hopefully they know all the love they have coming back to them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

its all so overwhelming ... and I know its tough ... but try to start working on the things you can influence at the moment .... and the other things that you  cant influence right now later .... so for me I was worrying about my parents equally as last weekend they were refusing to isolate ... ive just spoken to them and they have started to put things in place to help them .... these things tend to work themselves out as overwhelming as they seem at times ... hope everything goes ok all the best 

Things will work out, it’s temporary and eventually we will be back to normal. Good to see you posting, hadn’t seen anything for a day or so, maybe I just missed it. Our local supermarket workers are frazzled and being treated very poorly by certain ungrateful members of the public. Problems here seem to be the lack of delivery drivers .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can we go back to just before Christmas when no one had heard of Coronavirus and we had a summer to look forward to :(

Sam Fender has just postponed his shows (would have been my 4th time trying to see him live, admittedly not his fault). Bon Iver has posted a statement saying they're doing everything they can but that will ultimately be postponed/cancelled next month.

Constant panic buying and no food left in the shops.

More and more people in work self-isolating.

Feeling really down today. As others have said though allowing tickets to transfer over has been a massive relief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Constant panic buying and no food left in the shops.

ill try and ease some worries on this front although it  might not become immediately obvious...  from my point of view as a supermarket worker .... over the last decade or so shops have begun to hold less backup stock so supply would go straight to shelf  now ... over the last couple of days supermarkets have started to impose restrictions and item limits ... for asda a 3 item restriction and you can see back door deliveries increasing .... for my particular store that means an extra 50 pallets of stock .... and ive no doubt more extra fresh food too ... so this will start to be seen soon .... please try not to worry about food 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Things will work out, it’s temporary and eventually we will be back to normal. Good to see you posting, hadn’t seen anything for a day or so, maybe I just missed it. Our local supermarket workers are frazzled and being treated very poorly by certain ungrateful members of the public. Problems here seem to be the lack of delivery drivers .  

ive been a bit quieter but obviously things to sort ... the treatment of my friends and colleagues today has been horrific ... fortunately ive been back of house in the warehouse because of the pre existing medical conditions thing and trying to minimise contact as much as possible  ... we imposed a 3 item limit overnight and people weren't aware so were suffering the brunt of this ... hopefully behaviour will improve ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Ah no is it still mayhem :( haven't been the shops since last week and the staff looked stressed.

I thought people couldn't fit anymore stuff into there homes and it would have got a bit quieter.

they are ... lets hope ... I think it will calm down a bit now these limits are everywhere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lineup last Thursday, Interview went well on Frida, was asked about notice period and salary exceptions on Monday. Life was ok.

Tuesday new job role on hold, current role made redundant (offered different role lucky for me) and my boss made redundant, big G cancelled today, almost sent me under.

Can't believe it's only Wednesday.

Take care people.

Edited by dotdash79
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

God I've taken this tough today. Our only bright spot at the moment is we have our health obviously that could change, Mrs Doug currently working all hours on the NHS frontline and her main holiday was for her 30th over Glasto week, shes a wreck tonight. 

Her mum now in self isolation with symptoms today too. 

Everything is up in the air and we only booked our wedding for next summer in Italy recently and obviously this may impact that too now. I know people have it worse off than us at the minute but christ the festival news today on top of everything else has been a lot to deal with. 

I hope everyone else is coping well. Wishing you all the best. Stay safe and healthy. ✌️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like others I'm feeling pretty miserable, although not about Glastonbury as such (gutted for everyone and for the Eavises but I'd accepted a while back I wasn't going). I just face weeks of working from home, not seeing family or friends and the prospect of London in lockdown just makes me so sad. I love this city, I always have. To not have the freedom to experience it, even just to walk by the river, is something I never thought I'd see.

So far we are healthy though and still in work (although that could easily change). I have loved ones at risk that I'm worried about. I feel like the whole year has gone down the shitter to be quite honest with you.

In a weird way the thread about whether or not Glastonbury was on kind of kept me going, a weird little saga that seemed endless. But now that's over too.

Look after yourselves guys x 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I am a pharmacist and my god we have been treated like shit by the vast majority of patients today. We will also be the last ones to close too.

You probably won’t be closing at all. You’re one of the essential services in these times. There are many people who require continuous prescriptions. If there’s nowhere to get the medication then those of us who depend on it will be in more of a mess than what Corona could do to us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Like others I'm feeling pretty miserable, although not about Glastonbury as such (gutted for everyone and for the Eavises but I'd accepted a while back I wasn't going). I just face weeks of working from home, not seeing family or friends and the prospect of London in lockdown just makes me so sad. I love this city, I always have. To not have the freedom to experience it, even just to walk by the river, is something I never thought I'd see.

So far we are healthy though and still in work (although that could easily change). I have loved ones at risk that I'm worried about. I feel like the whole year has gone down the shitter to be quite honest with you.

In a weird way the thread about whether or not Glastonbury was on kind of kept me going, a weird little saga that seemed endless. But now that's over too.

Look after yourselves guys x 

I know what you mean, it kept me going too. The saga was kind of something for me to fixate on that could occupy my mind.

 

I realise I said some unfair things to you, I apologise for them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Given the statement said there would be severe financial implications for the festival themselves, do we think there will be any noticeable impact on the festival next year as a result of this? Really hope there wouldn't be not just for us but the festival/area organisers themselves.

I think someone said on one of the posts that it's normal practice to pay artists 50% up front. Depending on whether this has already been paid or not and also on whether it's repaid or carried forward to next year, I would have thought this would make a significant hit on the festival's finances although presumably that cost won't need to be found next year.

I've also read they have a 10-20 million pound contingency fund (no idea whether this is true or not) which doesn't sound that much to me.

Edited by Ommadawn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You probably won’t be closing at all. You’re one of the essential services in these times. There are many people who require continuous prescriptions. If there’s nowhere to get the medication then those of us who depend on it will be in more of a mess than what Corona could do to us. 

I agree they will be open, but you can have prescriptions delivered if you cannot leave the house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In a weird way the thread about whether or not Glastonbury was on kind of kept me going, a weird little saga that seemed endless. But now that's over too.

Yeah I definitely think the small amount of optimism in hoping glasto would go ahead was helping me with the isolation of working from home. Today was much more of a struggle until the official announcement came 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So are we thinking that the majority of UK festivals this season will now follow suit and cancel regardless of what month? Our groups looking at booking another festival to compensate for Glasto but now its got us thinking that they may go the same way....

Mixed feelings for me. Done 19 of last 20 Glastonbury's. Last one I missed was 1997 and I was sweating on the re sale anyway without much hope!

Bearded Theory is a fantastic festival with an excellent line up for the money. It's looking highly likely it will also be cancelled but they already have plans in place to hold it in September instead of may with predominantly the same line up already secured.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Worth a look to get your festival fix for the year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel much better because of the ticket rollover, it was becoming really stressful thinking about glasto and the cancellation etc 

on top of all the other day to day stresses that are going on right now.

At least now the will it be cancelled thread is irrelevant, we can get back to talking about glasto and also looking out for each other, especially those who are struggling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I actually feel better now than I did the day after lineup drop.

I'm the same. 

The week between the poster drop and today was horrible.  The line-up was awesome, but no matter how positive you tried to be, you just knew deep down it wouldn't happen, but you tortured yourself anyway with that small glimmer of hope.

Then last nights leak felt like a real kicking, but it allowed it time to sink in before the official cancellation.  Now with the news of the  ticket rollover and the acceptance that the cancellation is for the best, I feel a lot better now.  At least now we have something amazing to look forward to when we have all got safely through the shitstorm that is 2020.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I'm the same. 

The week between the poster drop and today was horrible.  The line-up was awesome, but no matter how positive you tried to be, you just knew deep down it wouldn't happen, but you tortured yourself anyway with that small glimmer of hope.

Then last nights leak felt like a real kicking, but it allowed it time to sink in before the official cancellation.  Now with the news of the  ticket rollover and the acceptance that the cancellation is for the best, I feel a lot better now.  At least now we have something amazing to look forward to when we have all got safely through the shitstorm that is 2020.

Yep agreed.

Having it to look forward to when the whole year feels like a write off is a huge bonus. Feels like light at the end of the tunnel. Get through 2020 somehow and 2021 will own.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...