Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

20 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

If they can I dont know why they wouldnt at least say postponed. It gives them approximately 2 more months of time before they have to put the money in and start the build. I wouldnt think they had anything to lose by buying them 2 more months. They could easily push the balance payment date 2 months and wait and see. Why not?

I'm not sure what kind of model you are following over there, but here in Canada the border is shutting down for 30 days, social distancing, etc. But those measures will likely only be for a MAX 2 months. 

We haven't been given any kind of time frame here. Just told "months" and a long time. Which I would say makes it harder to plan.

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I think D Ross is gone for good, may get McCartney again. If not 2021, Kendrick and Taylor swift will be back before the next fallow 

Think Swift will be there for sure. Kendrick and Macca hopefully. Don’t see D Ross coming over but fingers crossed, although I’m sure they already have a 2021 legend penned in to fill that slot if not (likewise with any headliner drop outs). The rest of the lineup will be fun to go over once it’s announced to see who’s in and who’s out - I imagine acts who’ve been on tour for a few years already are the most likely to not add another year on and will want a break.

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I feel worse today tbh. Think it's because it's just piled on top of everything else - can't go to the football, social activity shut down. Real impending doom with no end in sight. This really is the biggest kick in the balls to top it off

Sorry to hear.  I had a bad day on Monday but feel brighter today so understanding that tomorrow will likely be better is helping me get through the low days.  I'm off work today so I plan to stick the hoover round and then get out for some fresh air.  If you can do same then please try to. 

We're all here for each other 👍

21 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

It’s a dairy farm, they graze cattle on it. One of the reasons for no glass and the litter pickers having a hard time picking up every single cigerette butt and nos canister. 

Boomtown is home to sheep most of the year 

They don't graze cows on the fields. They're kept in barns.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they can only realistically announce a postponement if everything is on board for that new date.

Many of the suppliers will already have other stuff booked in, so just that part looks to be difficult.

the UK modelling is this (page 10 for the graphs):
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

That shows a lock down to September and a new higher peak in November.

From that model it looks like restrictions can be eased a little - but just a little - in the summer but will have to go tight again at the end of the summer.

As the data improves the model will change but I don't think there's much reason at the mo to think it'll change hugely. :( 

Only hope really is that it goes away in May sufficiently for them to do a switch to full testing and quarantine 

7 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I think D Ross is gone for good, may get McCartney again. If not 2021, Kendrick and Taylor swift will be back before the next fallow 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think Swift will be there for sure. Kendrick and Macca hopefully. Don’t see D Ross coming over but fingers crossed, although I’m sure they already have a 2021 legend penned in to fill that slot if not (likewise with any headliner drop outs). The rest of the lineup will be fun to go over once it’s announced to see who’s in and who’s out - I imagine acts who’ve been on tour for a few years already are the most likely to not add another year on and will want a break.

Didn't Emily say they already have next year's headliners sorted? Rock, paper, scissors to see who does it?

Don’t know when they’d have people pen contracts, so maybe they’ve made contact and have a verbal contract.. which could lead to some awkwardness if they wanted to bump them back a year.

I think Arctic Monkeys are a shoe in next year, could see them being fine to wait a year. Don’t even know who the other two could be at this stage, Gaga? (Directing myself to the 2021 headliner thread before I derail us)

I'm resigned to the cancellation now and I am at peace with it. I am far more concerned with people's health and their (and my) livelihood. If I was being honest I'd happily pay my balance for the 2021 festival to help with costs already incurred, but if they just wipe the slate clean then so be it. Let's get this virus beaten first and worry about the rest later.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Didn't Emily say they already have next year's headliners sorted? Rock, paper, scissors to see who does it?

Banger-off. Acts all pitch their proposed setlists and Emily decides who the three winners are based on how many bangers said setlist contains. Bonus points if the opening song has a guaranteed ‘taps aff’ effect. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

If they can I dont know why they wouldnt at least say postponed. It gives them approximately 2 more months of time before they have to put the money in and start the build. I wouldnt think they had anything to lose by buying them 2 more months. They could easily push the balance payment date 2 months and wait and see. Why not?

I'm not sure what kind of model you are following over there, but here in Canada the border is shutting down for 30 days, social distancing, etc. But those measures will likely only be for a MAX 2 months. 

Apologies to go off topic, but how's Canada holding up with all this? Got a Work Permit this year and was hoping to move to Toronto this summer, that looks like it isn't happening  :(

30 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Not gonna say where I've heard it from but from what I've been told..

That's it til 2021. They were trying for other dates (August mentioned) but for one reason or another, they aren't happening. I'm guessing purely due to how up in the air things are. Would look silly and be even more gutting if they rescheduled for August/September and the situation hasn't improved.

Artists (not sure if all or just some stages) have been offered the 2021 slots. There's already some who aren't able to do it but I'm not sure who that is. I'm assuming the intention is to go with the same lineup in 2021, because that would be the decent thing to do but naturally some artists won't commit to that.

No idea on an announcement, you'd think today logically 

The headliners and legend have to be the same to do this. The rest they can figure out as they go. It would also point as to why they stop now and have a year to rebook as much as they can. 

1 hour ago, Cockney_Jesus said:

Wish they hadn't bothered announcing the line up now. Someone asked me who I wanted to headline before anything had been announced and I said Kendrick, Taylor & Macca. Gutted!

It’s nice to know Glastonbury has the pulling power to book the two biggest pop and rap stars of the last decade, though. We’re gonna be speculating over the 2021 lineup for a long time so every clue helps.