StoneCircle

Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

4 downvotes for saying people dying is more important than a festival. You must all be so proud. 

It’s a festival forum. That’s why people are talking about the festival the forum is dedicated to. Behave.

16 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Is there a chance (don’t shoot me down here), that they may pull this too early? It’s very feasible that things would look a lot more positive in a month. And if they don’t, call it then? Perfectly understandable to push back balance deadline week until end of April. 

I understand there are a lot of moving parts but it just seems mad to cancel now three months away when others haven’t yet made the call. I know it’s a huge festival but I couldn’t bear the thought of cancellation, and then end of April things looking good, then into May restrictions all lifted etc etc. 

Maybe the meeting and subsequent announcement if it comes tomorrow will be a bit more than just “it’s cancelled”.

I would love this to be the case, I too despite being the OP thought the call was too early. 

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

4 downvotes for saying people dying is more important than a festival. You must all be so proud. 

Well yes, they said it in a forum about a festival in a topic about a festival being cancelled?

What did they expect to read? Especially as they were in it themselves?

As well as social distancing is any discussion that isn’t about people dying banned?

Is that all you’ve spoken about today? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

lets see if there is any news after the meeting tomorrow people have mentioned, we will either be surprised or have already digested the news of the cancellation of everyone's favorite festival.

Anyone else surprised people are being called in for a big meeting? I mean, everyone else is cancelling meetings of all sizes in favour of other methods of communication and discussion! 

I can't believe this news, gutted beyond belief.
Like many others, after my initial shock & disappointment I do believe it's the right thing to do & announce before all the trader pay their deposits. I expect official confirmation is on it's way.

We don't know how bad things are going to get with this shitty Coronavirus, the landscape has changed so much in the last few weeks and we are told it's going to get much worse.

We have to stay positive and look out for each other.
Hope everyone stays safe & Healthy and what a party we will have in 2021, well that's my hope for now. 

Edited by Desthedanglybits

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

This thread is pretty sickening, I know Glastonbury means lot to people on here, but people are dying in their thousands, people are struggling financially, businesses will go bust, homeless shelters are closing, people are trapped abroad, and people on here are squabbling over whether they are entitled to a ticket to a festival next year because they had one for this year and others are complaining that they won’t be able to go to it for 2 years blah blah blah.

get a grip, it’s a festival, who cares? People are dying FFS.

Every day we get on with our lives, we get excited by stuff, disappointed by stuff, and yet every day somewhere there are kids with cancer.

How very dare we think about anything less important than the most important thing going on in the world?

How dare you ever enjoy a meal while there's a war in Syria? How dare you give a bad review to an album when there's somebody somewhere listening to Coldplay?

Context and perspective are your friends.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I would love this to be the case, I too despite being the OP thought the call was too early. 

It’s the eternal hope that kills you. The feeling of walking through those gates is so special and I think I’m still in denial about it all. 

It’s not comparable to losing jobs etc but this year was a huge one for me work wise, with Glastonbury 50 sandwiched in the middle. When Macca was announced genuinely couldn’t believe it all - so exciting! Gah it just feels awful and I don’t feel like my group feel the pain as much as me. 

If they do cancel it will be very interesting to hear the reasons I think. And don’t get me wrong, I completely understand if they do, I think I’d just reconciled in my head we would be waiting another couple of weeks and that would in turn give the situation at least a couple of weeks to improve. It’s only 5 days since that fantastic lineup was announced, and we aren’t in a place as a country that was unexpected. 

Guess 2020 won't be my first - still, many more to go just a shame they announced the lineup just Friday and teased us with it. cheers boris

Was working so only managed to catch the first few pages.

This legit then? Not just someone pulling our legs?

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Guess 2020 won't be my first - still, many more to go just a shame they announced the lineup just Friday and teased us with it. cheers boris

I despise the man as much as anyone and I think he’s handled this terribly, but no matter how he had reacted this would’ve been the end game.  

That doesn’t change the fact ppl will die because of his government’s policy, but I don’t think we can blame him (sadly) for Glastonbury being cancelled.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, themuel said:

I despise the man as much as anyone and I think he’s handled this terribly, but no matter how he had reacted this would’ve been the end game.  

That doesn’t change the fact ppl will die because of his government’s policy, but I don’t think we can blame him (sadly) for Glastonbury being cancelled.  

Could have shut all borders and put a 14 day quarantine on everyone entering in the airport but yeah, realistically we can't. Nice to pin it on someone though

16 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Was working so only managed to catch the first few pages.

This legit then? Not just someone pulling our legs?

Its not been officially confirmed but widely believed now , Eavis family members have posted about it on their social media.

Apparently some kind of meeting tomorrow, then things should be more clear.

2 hours ago, morph100 said:

Hummm friend saying her contact at seetickets is saying postponed not cancelled....not sure on validity of that.

Dont play with my emotions 

I've been at work tonight and I'm in a customer facing role so I'vee been trying to stay composed.

But honestly? I'm fucking terrified.

So an announcement must be all but inevitable this morning, given the news is starting to leak.

In some ways, if it's just announced, I can begin to accept it and move on. The uncertainty is killing me.

4 hours ago, morph100 said:

Hummm friend saying her contact at seetickets is saying postponed not cancelled....not sure on validity of that.

They could be seeing that its set up a certain way as to appear its postponed. I would feel theres more validity if you were given a date or time frame to go with it. Say your friends contact said “yeah, postponed until august” for example. Then sure, it holds some water, but yeah as of right now unless theres a whole other thing happening, cancel. 

31 minutes ago, kalifire said:

So an announcement must be all but inevitable this morning, given the news is starting to leak.

In some ways, if it's just announced, I can begin to accept it and move on. The uncertainty is killing me.

Been double limbo for me. Thought I escaped unscathed with the Coachella postponement,  and a week later its back to square one. But I dont think any tears of joy will be coming unless they let us keep our tickets. 

43 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

Suicide joke ?? Really ? What a total idiot you are !

Didn’t you make the AIDS joke that went down like a lead balloon? 

Or are you trying to be ironic? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What's the problem with a suicide joke?

The suicide bit.