Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I would love this to be the case, I too despite being the OP thought the call was too early. 

It’s the eternal hope that kills you. The feeling of walking through those gates is so special and I think I’m still in denial about it all. 

It’s not comparable to losing jobs etc but this year was a huge one for me work wise, with Glastonbury 50 sandwiched in the middle. When Macca was announced genuinely couldn’t believe it all - so exciting! Gah it just feels awful and I don’t feel like my group feel the pain as much as me. 

If they do cancel it will be very interesting to hear the reasons I think. And don’t get me wrong, I completely understand if they do, I think I’d just reconciled in my head we would be waiting another couple of weeks and that would in turn give the situation at least a couple of weeks to improve. It’s only 5 days since that fantastic lineup was announced, and we aren’t in a place as a country that was unexpected. 

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Guess 2020 won't be my first - still, many more to go just a shame they announced the lineup just Friday and teased us with it. cheers boris

I despise the man as much as anyone and I think he’s handled this terribly, but no matter how he had reacted this would’ve been the end game.  

That doesn’t change the fact ppl will die because of his government’s policy, but I don’t think we can blame him (sadly) for Glastonbury being cancelled.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, themuel said:

I despise the man as much as anyone and I think he’s handled this terribly, but no matter how he had reacted this would’ve been the end game.  

That doesn’t change the fact ppl will die because of his government’s policy, but I don’t think we can blame him (sadly) for Glastonbury being cancelled.  

Could have shut all borders and put a 14 day quarantine on everyone entering in the airport but yeah, realistically we can't. Nice to pin it on someone though

16 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Was working so only managed to catch the first few pages.

This legit then? Not just someone pulling our legs?

Its not been officially confirmed but widely believed now , Eavis family members have posted about it on their social media.

Apparently some kind of meeting tomorrow, then things should be more clear.

4 hours ago, morph100 said:

Hummm friend saying her contact at seetickets is saying postponed not cancelled....not sure on validity of that.

They could be seeing that its set up a certain way as to appear its postponed. I would feel theres more validity if you were given a date or time frame to go with it. Say your friends contact said “yeah, postponed until august” for example. Then sure, it holds some water, but yeah as of right now unless theres a whole other thing happening, cancel. 

31 minutes ago, kalifire said:

So an announcement must be all but inevitable this morning, given the news is starting to leak.

In some ways, if it's just announced, I can begin to accept it and move on. The uncertainty is killing me.

Been double limbo for me. Thought I escaped unscathed with the Coachella postponement,  and a week later its back to square one. But I dont think any tears of joy will be coming unless they let us keep our tickets. 

3 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Anyone else not slept?

Yes, over here. However, lashings of speed has caused that. That said, that's the norm for me, but last night / this morning has been way different to any other period of time that I've ever had.  It's not possible to fully escape ones thoughts at this current moment, no matter how many times that you try. 

Now more than ever, tell your loved ones that you love them.

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I still don't get the problem?

Just a bit insensitive in this context. There’s more than one person here say they’re on antidepressants - who knows what losing Glasto hope might trigger. Hopefully nothing but it’s poor form to joke about the worst right now, I reckon. 

• Upvote 3

Just going to add my own 'ouch' as a member of the international contingent. My wife and I were travelling back home to the UK for Glasto this year. Flights were booked (£800), glamping booked (£1,220 - please spare me your glamping opinions) and deposit+coach (£250) for a total of £2,270 outlaid so far. I hope we can defer all of that money until next year but let's see. 

That said, it is absolutely the right decision to postpone/cancel and I'll maintain that opinion even if I lose that 2 grand. Am I desperately disappointed? Yes. Glastonbury is my mental health escape and this summer will be tough to get through. Particularly as we live in a country that regularly sees 45-50c in the summer so we'll be shut indoors, one way or another, until pretty much September. However, the fact that literally thousands of us can be unknowing carriers, never present symptoms and potentially infect others without even realising is terrifying - its all just so much bigger than Glastonbury. 

Edited by dmedxb
typo