Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Ah no is it still mayhem :( haven't been the shops since last week and the staff looked stressed.

I thought people couldn't fit anymore stuff into there homes and it would have got a bit quieter.

they are ... lets hope ... I think it will calm down a bit now these limits are everywhere 

Lineup last Thursday, Interview went well on Frida, was asked about notice period and salary exceptions on Monday. Life was ok.

Tuesday new job role on hold, current role made redundant (offered different role lucky for me) and my boss made redundant, big G cancelled today, almost sent me under.

Can't believe it's only Wednesday.

Take care people.

Edited by dotdash79
  • Like 2

God I've taken this tough today. Our only bright spot at the moment is we have our health obviously that could change, Mrs Doug currently working all hours on the NHS frontline and her main holiday was for her 30th over Glasto week, shes a wreck tonight. 

Her mum now in self isolation with symptoms today too. 

Everything is up in the air and we only booked our wedding for next summer in Italy recently and obviously this may impact that too now. I know people have it worse off than us at the minute but christ the festival news today on top of everything else has been a lot to deal with. 

I hope everyone else is coping well. Wishing you all the best. Stay safe and healthy. ✌️

• Like 1

Like others I'm feeling pretty miserable, although not about Glastonbury as such (gutted for everyone and for the Eavises but I'd accepted a while back I wasn't going). I just face weeks of working from home, not seeing family or friends and the prospect of London in lockdown just makes me so sad. I love this city, I always have. To not have the freedom to experience it, even just to walk by the river, is something I never thought I'd see.

So far we are healthy though and still in work (although that could easily change). I have loved ones at risk that I'm worried about. I feel like the whole year has gone down the shitter to be quite honest with you.

In a weird way the thread about whether or not Glastonbury was on kind of kept me going, a weird little saga that seemed endless. But now that's over too.

Look after yourselves guys x 

7 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I am a pharmacist and my god we have been treated like shit by the vast majority of patients today. We will also be the last ones to close too.

You probably won’t be closing at all. You’re one of the essential services in these times. There are many people who require continuous prescriptions. If there’s nowhere to get the medication then those of us who depend on it will be in more of a mess than what Corona could do to us. 

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Like others I'm feeling pretty miserable, although not about Glastonbury as such (gutted for everyone and for the Eavises but I'd accepted a while back I wasn't going). I just face weeks of working from home, not seeing family or friends and the prospect of London in lockdown just makes me so sad. I love this city, I always have. To not have the freedom to experience it, even just to walk by the river, is something I never thought I'd see.

So far we are healthy though and still in work (although that could easily change). I have loved ones at risk that I'm worried about. I feel like the whole year has gone down the shitter to be quite honest with you.

In a weird way the thread about whether or not Glastonbury was on kind of kept me going, a weird little saga that seemed endless. But now that's over too.

Look after yourselves guys x 

I know what you mean, it kept me going too. The saga was kind of something for me to fixate on that could occupy my mind.

I realise I said some unfair things to you, I apologise for them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Given the statement said there would be severe financial implications for the festival themselves, do we think there will be any noticeable impact on the festival next year as a result of this? Really hope there wouldn't be not just for us but the festival/area organisers themselves.

I think someone said on one of the posts that it's normal practice to pay artists 50% up front. Depending on whether this has already been paid or not and also on whether it's repaid or carried forward to next year, I would have thought this would make a significant hit on the festival's finances although presumably that cost won't need to be found next year.

I've also read they have a 10-20 million pound contingency fund (no idea whether this is true or not) which doesn't sound that much to me.

Edited by Ommadawn

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You probably won’t be closing at all. You’re one of the essential services in these times. There are many people who require continuous prescriptions. If there’s nowhere to get the medication then those of us who depend on it will be in more of a mess than what Corona could do to us. 

I agree they will be open, but you can have prescriptions delivered if you cannot leave the house.

36 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I definitely think the small amount of optimism in hoping glasto would go ahead was helping me with the isolation of working from home. Today was much more of a struggle until the official announcement came 

8 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So are we thinking that the majority of UK festivals this season will now follow suit and cancel regardless of what month? Our groups looking at booking another festival to compensate for Glasto but now its got us thinking that they may go the same way....

Mixed feelings for me. Done 19 of last 20 Glastonbury's. Last one I missed was 1997 and I was sweating on the re sale anyway without much hope!

Bearded Theory is a fantastic festival with an excellent line up for the money. It's looking highly likely it will also be cancelled but they already have plans in place to hold it in September instead of may with predominantly the same line up already secured.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Worth a look to get your festival fix for the year.

I feel much better because of the ticket rollover, it was becoming really stressful thinking about glasto and the cancellation etc 

on top of all the other day to day stresses that are going on right now.

At least now the will it be cancelled thread is irrelevant, we can get back to talking about glasto and also looking out for each other, especially those who are struggling. 

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I actually feel better now than I did the day after lineup drop.

I'm the same. 

The week between the poster drop and today was horrible.  The line-up was awesome, but no matter how positive you tried to be, you just knew deep down it wouldn't happen, but you tortured yourself anyway with that small glimmer of hope.

Then last nights leak felt like a real kicking, but it allowed it time to sink in before the official cancellation.  Now with the news of the  ticket rollover and the acceptance that the cancellation is for the best, I feel a lot better now.  At least now we have something amazing to look forward to when we have all got safely through the shitstorm that is 2020.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I'm the same. 

The week between the poster drop and today was horrible.  The line-up was awesome, but no matter how positive you tried to be, you just knew deep down it wouldn't happen, but you tortured yourself anyway with that small glimmer of hope.

Then last nights leak felt like a real kicking, but it allowed it time to sink in before the official cancellation.  Now with the news of the  ticket rollover and the acceptance that the cancellation is for the best, I feel a lot better now.  At least now we have something amazing to look forward to when we have all got safely through the shitstorm that is 2020.

Yep agreed.

Having it to look forward to when the whole year feels like a write off is a huge bonus. Feels like light at the end of the tunnel. Get through 2020 somehow and 2021 will own.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yep agreed.

Having it to look forward to when the whole year feels like a write off is a huge bonus. Feels like light at the end of the tunnel. Get through 2020 somehow and 2021 will own.

It has really surprised me just how stressed I have been about this over the last few weeks.  I know there are more important things to worry about, but this has seemed more important than anything for some time now, which is really odd given that I have never actually been before.  I put most of that down to this forum and all the fantastic people on here.  The tagline "The place to experience the spirit of Glastonbury all year round" really is true.  Keep positive everyone. 😃

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

It has really surprised me just how stressed I have been about this over the last few weeks.  I know there are more important things to worry about, but this has seemed more important than anything for some time now, which is really odd given that I have never actually been before.  I put most of that down to this forum and all the fantastic people on here.  The tagline "The place to experience the spirit of Glastonbury all year round" really is true.  Keep positive everyone. 😃

When you finally get there you'll have the time of your life. And it'll be even better for the wait!

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

ill try and ease some worries on this front although it  might not become immediately obvious...  from my point of view as a supermarket worker .... over the last decade or so shops have begun to hold less backup stock so supply would go straight to shelf  now ... over the last couple of days supermarkets have started to impose restrictions and item limits ... for asda a 3 item restriction and you can see back door deliveries increasing .... for my particular store that means an extra 50 pallets of stock .... and ive no doubt more extra fresh food too ... so this will start to be seen soon .... please try not to worry about food 

Thanks. You’re doing a great job! I just wish the public weren't such complete tools. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

ill try and ease some worries on this front although it  might not become immediately obvious...  from my point of view as a supermarket worker .... over the last decade or so shops have begun to hold less backup stock so supply would go straight to shelf  now ... over the last couple of days supermarkets have started to impose restrictions and item limits ... for asda a 3 item restriction and you can see back door deliveries increasing .... for my particular store that means an extra 50 pallets of stock .... and ive no doubt more extra fresh food too ... so this will start to be seen soon .... please try not to worry about food 

Crazyfool1 and all your fellow supermarket colleagues you are doing a great job and dont deserve all the abuse your getting! Being part of frontline services going to the shops to buy a chocolate bar or cake is what is keeping us going! Thank you! 

8 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Thanks. You’re doing a great job! I just wish the public weren't such complete tools. 

1 minute ago, funkychick2007 said:

Crazyfool1 and all your fellow supermarket colleagues you are doing a great job and dont deserve all the abuse your getting! Being part of frontline services going to the shops to buy a chocolate bar or cake is what is keeping us going! Thank you! 

cheers guys :) ... unfortunately it doesnt look like im going to be able to help and support them much longer .... gutted :( 

Prince Philip is dead.

Heard from a few 'sources'. Holding back on releasing the news due to obvious current events. Possibly no public funeral.

P.S. I hope he's not of course AND one of those sources told me he died a few months ago, from which he clearly made a miraculous recovery. Only posting this time due to hearing from 3 different people.

Edited by Gilb