Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

Hope everyone’s okay, this is sad news indeed but understandable. Glastonbury was going to be the crowning jewel of my six months career break, returning to the U.K. from SE Asia just days before it. Now it looks like I’ll be returning a lot sooner and no Glastonbury and likely never have the opportunity to long term travel again. Seems it’s all just coming crashing down at the moment.

36 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think there's already talk that the EU is going to be relaxing these across the board. Kinda has to really - these are rules for a world that's currently on hold.

33 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Don't know how it's being handled elsewhere but here in Wales I can't wait to see the disappointment on the kids faces when they think they have extra time off but realise it's just their Easter holidays being bought forward :lol: 

I think its more close to an Easter and summer brought forward combined. Though dunno what any of this means for exams.

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So are we thinking that the majority of UK festivals this season will now follow suit and cancel regardless of what month? Our groups looking at booking another festival to compensate for Glasto but now its got us thinking that they may go the same way....

Who knows?

I think anything that's happening in May or June is at risk of cancellation at this time. Its possible smaller things might have an advantage because they don't require the assembly time. But if big things like Glastonbury or even Eurovision (not as popular here but still a huge deal and cancelled) can fall by the wayside, it puts the risk up for others.

Hell, there's a free event held in a local town on May Bank Holiday that's usually on with just a stage and acoustic singers, and I saw them announce their own cancellation on Facebook. Which isn't a great sign.

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

@maelzoid @eFestivals Thanks for the explanation.  With the old and vulnerable on lockdown for 12 weeks would it not make sense for the fit and healthy to mingle now while they are shielded?  Would that not result in fewer hospitalisations than locking down everyone and then having everyone mix again at some point in the future?  

That's really a question for an epidemiologist. To be honest, I'm only going by what I read in New Scientist.

But the truth is not all the old and vulnerable are locked down, despite all the warnings and guidance. I saw a whole pack of them in the Morrison's coffee shop of all places yesterday.

I also think at this early stage we still have a lot to learn about the virus itself, exactly how it moves from person to person, exact incubation times, what strategies work best to protect people. Right now, I think there is some erring on the side of caution, but that's the best thing to do until knowledge is more firmly established.

45 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ha! What you're missing is that Sturgeon only jumps the gun with stuff that already been said in front of her in the daily COBRA. It's happened a few times already.

She's dead keen to jump the gun cos it makes her look more carey-sharey.
(tho not as carey-sharey as Salmond, who's been a bit too carey-sharey :P )

Correct, ever since she’s went to the cobra meetings she announces something very statespersonlike just ahead of the UK as a whole. Makes her look like she is leading but actually all she is doing is leaking a decision already made.   Just as well glasto wasn’t discussed at cobra or she would have leaked our cancellation as well! 

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

Not a great time to be a sub teacher. My girlfriend finished her PGCE in June and has been subbing in Northern Ireland all term so far. She has work confirmed for this week but no future bookings (same with any substitute over here that wasn't on long term cover).

She is potentially looking at no income now until September.

Assuming it isn't primary, tell her to get registered on first tutors. My other half is a teacher and does some tutoring in the evenings for extra cash. She is constantly having to refuse work, so there is plenty of work out there, maybe moreso now with schools being closed. 

44 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Assuming it isn't primary, tell her to get registered on first tutors. My other half is a teacher and does some tutoring in the evenings for extra cash. She is constantly having to refuse work, so there is plenty of work out there, maybe moreso now with schools being closed. 

That is so true - there will be a new market for online tutors where maybe there wasn't as much before. Especially with parents wanting kids to keep up to date ahead of potential exams. 

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That is so true - there will be a new market for online tutors where maybe there wasn't as much before. Especially with parents wanting kids to keep up to date ahead of potential exams. 

Education SoS giving a statement to the House at 5.  Would expect it to cover both school closures and exam arrangements...

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m hearing gossip of members of the armed forces getting their leave cancelled.

Hopefully this is just gossip and we don’t end up in a full lockdown. 

I've heard the same thing. A few people I know who have family members in the forces have said they've told they're going to be watching the streets etc.

26 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m hearing gossip of members of the armed forces getting their leave cancelled.

It's coming. Just watched the PM's presser.  He was asked repeatedly about shutting down London because people there don't seem to be following the advice to stay at home. 

27 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That just makes sense though, doesn't it?

Doesn't mean they're going to be used for a lockdown, might just need their help.

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Are you based in Liverpool / the Wirral?