Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Yeah I'm struggling to understand how this gives us current non-holders much of a better chance. There'll be a load of coverage and probably way *less* chance than an April resale surely?

I mean you will have less chance than a normal October sale I guess but I wouldn't mind betting more tickets go back into the pot than people expect. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere around 40-50%

12 minutes ago, Stevie P-alike said:

What are the chances of keeping Macca and the rest of the line up on board? knowing absolutely zero about the music business, it must almost be like starting all over again for Emily, I would guess.

I think there's a decent chance, particularly if they tell the acts now that they have an option for next year (that they have to take up by a particular date, perhaps?).

I think there's going to be a lot of goodwill from acts to fulfil this summer's dates next summer - tho that's not going to be universal for all sorts of different reasons.

Edited by eFestivals

I'll be making a bigger donation to Water aid and Oxfam than I usually do for the next few months - every little helps when a revenue stream like Glasto disappears. 

So far I've got 3 Gigs cancelled, another 3 pending cancellation and 4 fate TBC All bought on credit cards so I'll get refunded no problem.

It's not as if I'll be able to spend the money on going out to any other entertainment and I'm not giving Sky any more cash.....

Then hope for a 2021 ticket whenever they go on sale (Assuming we're over this by then) - if not them a big Glasto push for my 60th in 2022.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Scotland has announced closing schools.

I'm guessing similar has already been agreed for England. 

Wales is closing schools as well as Scotland. So England is a question of time.

The school that I went to when I did my GCSE exams has told year 8/9 students not to come in due to a lot of staff self-isolating.

23 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So are we thinking that the majority of UK festivals this season will now follow suit and cancel regardless of what month? Our groups looking at booking another festival to compensate for Glasto but now its got us thinking that they may go the same way....

I’d hang on. 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Scotland has announced closing schools.

I'm guessing similar has already been agreed for England. 

Not a great time to be a sub teacher. My girlfriend finished her PGCE in June and has been subbing in Northern Ireland all term so far. She has work confirmed for this week but no future bookings (same with any substitute over here that wasn't on long term cover).

She is potentially looking at no income now until September.

27 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I haven't been on here much recently. There have been a variety of personal reasons, but 1 of them has been - I couldn't see the festival being on.  Glastonbury is a massive part of lots of people's lives (myself included) but I didn't even check the line up out last week. It's been today that I have fully gone through it. The cancellation was inevitable. I am not sad today, if anything it was a bit of closure on it all. My mates were adamant, even up until today "it'll be on". I was a "pessimistic bastard" - but it was pretty obvious for the last fortnight really.

The economic landscape of the world could be incredibly different in 12 months, so £250 for a festival may not be viable for a lot of people. The world could look quite different when the next festival rolls around. It could well have been my last Glastonbury already, which is pretty upsetting to think about. I had decided 2020 was my last as I'd like to see a bit of the world and do other things. Over the last few months I have had a couple of personal issues that I am working through - and maybe it's time to hang up my festival walking boots for good now?

I am keeping my 2021 ticket valid, but I at this point don't think it'll be there.

The festival will be back though. Keep the faith!

Hope all is well Fuzz. Was hoping to bump in to you having a good boogie during Taylor!

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not if Boris has anything to do with it. 

Ha! What you're missing is that Sturgeon only jumps the gun with stuff that already been said in front of her in the daily COBRA. It's happened a few times already.

She's dead keen to jump the gun cos it makes her look more carey-sharey.
(tho not as carey-sharey as Salmond, who's been a bit too carey-sharey :P )

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Wales is closing schools as well as Scotland. 

Don't know how it's being handled elsewhere but here in Wales I can't wait to see the disappointment on the kids faces when they think they have extra time off but realise it's just their Easter holidays being bought forward :lol: 

9 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Not a great time to be a sub teacher. My girlfriend finished her PGCE in June and has been subbing in Northern Ireland all term so far. She has work confirmed for this week but no future bookings (same with any substitute over here that wasn't on long term cover).

She is potentially looking at no income now until September.

No festivals this summer has screwed over my friends' business too (online outdoor retailer, a good one too). Knock on is I do freelance digital marketing for them too. Will be down to no clients by the end of the week I think. 

I'm not sure how long this can go on if I'm honest. They've built an economy on sand and its now sinking under the slightest of weight. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Hope all is well Fuzz. Was hoping to bump in to you having a good boogie during Taylor!

Thanks.

It's a massive shame. I would have been there. I might do a twitter live of me singing along to All too Well on the Sunday Night!

It's been a tough year so far for everyone. Hopefully it improves soon.

Daughter pointed out something to ponder. There's always a huge number of us disappointed, by rolling over they've saved 135k from not only being disappointed but upset by missing out. So on the overall happiness meter of life, it's positive and so the right thing to do.

Here's hoping you all get to go next year (apart from one of you, since I still need a ticket).

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ha! What you're missing is that Sturgeon only jumps the gun with stuff that already been said in front of her in the daily COBRA. It's happened a few times already.

She's dead keen to jump the gun cos it makes her look more carey-sharey.
(tho not as carey-sharey as Salmond, who's been a bit too carey-sharey :P )

Mmm. 

I’m just bitter because I’m a frontline public transport worker and we’re essentially being forced to put ourselves at risk with minimal protection, until we either provably get the disease or the government grows a pair and forces a shutdown. With everything I’ve been looking forward to (holidays, Glastonbury, Eurovision, Euros, Olympics) falling by the wayside on top of working in that environment, my mental health isn’t so good atm.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Can’t see many people taking a refund in September if they’ve got until the usual April deadline to decide if they want to go. Other than making the refund the default option rather than the rollover, which would undoubtedly have caught lots of people out, asking anyone rolling over to pay the full balance before October was the main hope I was clinging on to for the October pot being a decent size. But ethically that was rightly never going to happen.

I imagine there’s gonna be more people than you think not able to go next year, whether that’s due to family planning, house moves, different work criteria, holidays already booked.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Mmm. 

I’m just bitter because I’m, my mental health isn’t so good atm.

Sorry but just going to pick up on this, please do as I have and speak to friends/family etc. I've never felt so afraid before, so reach out if you can. PM me if you want, always listening

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Sorry but just going to pick up on this, please do as I have and speak to friends/family etc. I've never felt so afraid before, so reach out if you can. PM me if you want, always listening

Thanks matey. I’m lucky enough to have a good group surrounding me these days, if this had happened five years ago I might not have made it.